Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Las Vegas Kihoalu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apapane
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:06:13 AM  Show Profile
Aloha: I live on the East Coast and I am traveling to Las Vegas "sin city" for the first time. I understand that there is a lively hawaiian community there. Does anyone know where I can hear some kihoalu? Mahalo, Apapane

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  1:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Calling Don! Don Narup!

Apapane, seriously, look up Don's entry (Ianui) under Members up there on the right. He will give you the best show you ever had -

Oh, this is Vegas, I forgot. Don *will* be clothed, and he isn't exactly the best kisser in the world, but he gave Sarah and me a hell of a good hug when we left him in Carlsbad.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  1:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
There is a large Hawaiian Community here second largest population outside Hawaii. How lively it is is age realated. If you are late 20's and under, then its Jawaiian/Reggae and you may find some of that around. Other than that you will be hard pressed to find any activity this time of year.

go to www.50thstateradio.com and listen to uncle Paul live from 9am to noon mon fri for whats going on here and all over in Hawaiian music. Call his 800 number and ask him. Make sure you tell him you heard about his show in the patch

My wife and I are having our 70th Birthday party tentative set for January 6th and may have a few pickers join us. If you will be around then send me e-mail for particulars.

Message To The World

Reid has absolutely no first hand knowledge on how good a kisser I am -----

Edited by - Ianui on 12/12/2006 2:34:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  3:18:56 PM  Show Profile
(Blush)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

apapane
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  7:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Reid and Ianui: I am not into "fusion-kihoalu". But, the lively community must be still into kissing, so, the Aloha sprit thrives (at any age). My Son has recently moved there and I will be a frequent visitor and I thought I might find a cabal of slack key enthusiasts. Oddly, MapQuest has noted over three hundred sites on "Hawaiaan entertainment". So it is off into the unknown. Hopefully, Don Ho is not on tour! Mahalo, Apapane
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  05:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
The 300 listing you see are names like Crissy Entertainment , Angie Entertainment, Wanda Entertainment , Donna Entertainment "Hard Bodies", "Hi I'm April", and many other "Entertainment Companies" that are not exactly related to Slack Key or anything of a musical nature. You type "Entertainment" in just about any search for something in Las Vegas and these folks will show up. I'm suprised its not 1,000

So don't be mislead by what you see on Mapquest.

There is only one Hawaiian show in town and I think its been cut to two nights a week now. You can catch a couple local groups (mostly Reggae) at some restaurants. But Slack Key is not being performed anywhere

Edited by - Ianui on 12/13/2006 05:57:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Wow!

Fusion Ki Ho'alu....I'd love to get your "definition" on that! I read your profile, and saw you are looking for instruction. You should contact "Andy" the nice and talented fellow who runs this site. He goes by "admin". Andy would be a fine teacher and should share some of what he has learned. Maybe he lives close, or can point you in the right direction. Just a thought...

Ray
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  04:15:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ianui

The 300 listing you see are names like ... Wanda Entertainment , ... that are not exactly related to Slack Key or anything of a musical nature.

----------
Good 'ting dis Wanda live Ohio, not Nevada. Apanane - one of the best shows I ever have seen in my life -- regardless of the type of music, was Kiho`alu at its best -- a concert promoted by "Ianui"...Patrick Landeza, Dennis Kamakahi, Cyril Pahinui and Gary Haleamau (plus Sheldeen's Halau dancing beautiful hula)in Henderson, NV. We found out about it and went specifically to Las Vegas just to see that show. When we were in Las Vegas, there was a bi-weekly luau at the Imperial Palace. The music, actually, was not bad -- not too much Don Ho kine stuff and the kau-kau was very good.

Mele Kalikimaka,
Wanda Certo

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  08:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Yes the Imperial Palace show is the show I was referring t. As far as the show I produced I so appreciate your comments and thank you again for coming all the way out here to see it.

It was memorable for me as well, and I pull out the tape and watch it over and over.

Uncle Paul Nato and myself, as far as I know, are the only ones that have produced Slack key shows in Las Vegas these past couple years.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  1:57:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ianui

Yes the Imperial Palace show is the show I was referring t. As far as the show I produced I so appreciate your comments and thank you again for coming all the way out here to see it.

It was memorable for me as well, and I pull out the tape and watch it over and over.

Uncle Paul Nato and myself, as far as I know, are the only ones that have produced Slack key shows in Las Vegas these past couple years.
Paul here,husband of Wanda. Are tapes of that show available? It truely was an excellent show. An unexpected, pleasant surprise was the pre-show music by a local ukulele club,

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  2:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Paul

Unfortunately the legal work to get all the clearances to release something is formidable. So neither the video or audio portions of the tape are available.

Edited by - Ianui on 12/18/2006 2:35:33 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000