Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian Language
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  10:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book or CD to learn Hawaiian?
Bob

Bob

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Kaliko Beamer-Trapp is a fantastic teacher so I really like this CD set.

I own this one also but it looks like the older version with cassette tapes has been updated with CDs.

Both are excellent but please don't quiz me. Just because I own them does not mean that I listen and study.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  2:51:58 PM  Show Profile
These are some Hawaiian language learning resources I would recommend and my comments on my experience with them. Dictionary and Grammar are basics. I found that different books explained things sometimes in different ways, and that if I didn't understand something from one book, I could usually get it from looking at the ways other books explained it. 'A'ole pau ka 'ike i ho'okahi hale!

aloha,
Sarah

A Dictionary: Pukui, Mary Kawena and Samuel H. Elbert - HAWAIIAN DICTIONARY: HAWAIIAN ENGLISH, ENGLISH-HAWAIIAN (Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1986. Revised and enlarged edition. 572p.) Entries arranged first in Hawaiian, then English.

A Grammar: Elbert, Samuel and Mary Kawena Pukui - HAWAIIAN GRAMMAR (Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1979. 193p.) Definitive grammar of the Hawaiian language. Elbert’s "Hawaiian Grammar" is a staple. Have to admit that it's the only grammar book I've ever read cover-to-cover, and twice, to boot.

LEARN HAWAIIAN AT HOME - Wight, Kahikahealani
(Honolulu: Bess Press, 1992. 147p.) Excellent tool for learning Hawaiian through self-instruction. Includes easy-to-follow lesson plans and CDs to assist the novice. http://kboo.stores.yahoo.net/learnhawncd.html

A great place to start with Hawaiian is the book/tape set "Learn Hawaiian At Home" by Kahikahealani Wight. It's the only readily available textbook with audio tapes (now CDs), which makes it no. 1 in my book.

Vocabulary and grammar are introduced together, as one goes along, and each chapter has some cultural sections too (such as a paragraph about an island and a song from that island). The tapes are great because they don't have a word of English on them (no tedious directions that you have to listen to repeatedly well after you need them). There are also pauses to allow you to repeat the drills -- at first the pauses seem too short, but once you know what you're doing, the pauses are the right length ;-)

The only criticism I have of this book is that she simplified the grammar of the possessive and I don't know why she thought that was a good thing to do, because it means you have to relearn it when you move on -- but maybe, in the end, it comes out in the wash. After all, I got beyond it. Hawaiian has an o- form possessive and an a- form possessive; the use of them depends on the relationship between the possessor and the object possessed, which is why it can be complicated to the student. Wight just teaches that everything takes the o- form (while indicating with an asterisk the words that really ought to be taking an a- form). Anyway, it just meant to me, to not learn that stuff hard-and-fast from her, but to kinda wait till I could examine that issue in another textbook.

HAWAIIAN SENTENCE BOOK by Robert Lokomaika`iokalani Snakenberg --OOP This book also has an accompanying tape. A great book for starting to learn Hawaiian, this is an unusual book in that each page has illustrations pertaining to Hawaiian life and several or a dozen fully constructed sentences describing the pictures. For the student, this models correct sentence construction and word usage in action, as well as imparting cultural information. The tape is a woman just reading page by page, so you get the nuances of pronunciation. Unfortunately, this book is out-of-print, so you'd have to search in used book sellers. But it's worth it.

SPOKEN HAWAIIAN - Author: Elbert, Samuel H. Another textbook I went through from beginning to end — good, orderly introduction to concepts of grammar, sentence patterns clearly presented, and with some funny dialogues. http://www.amazon.com/Spoken-Hawaiian-Samuel-H-Elbert/dp/0870222163 "Description: Intended for self-learning as well as classroom use, this book presents the principal conversational and grammatical patterns of the language. Each of the sixty-seven lessons is a sample dialog in Hawaiian with English translation. "

INSTANT IMMERSION HAWAIIAN 8 CD set: $26.95 by Kaliko Beamer-Trapp and Kiele Akana-Gooch. http://homepage.mac.com/drmacnut/panpoly/store/index.html
This is a marvellous set of CDs that is based on the concept of aural learning. It presents vocabulary and phrases, not dwelling much on the grammar, so that you can become familiar with the sound and meaning and put together your own sentences and recognize what you hear. Just why the phrases and sentences work and what the function of all their little parts is, is not really explained, but that information is available from other resources. I didn’t experience learning beginning Hawaiian with this CD set but I think it is an excellent resource for hearing Hawaiian spoken and learning pronunciation and phrasing. I would include it in my library just for that alone, as it is so hard to come by spoken material. When first issued, there was no written part available. However, due to subsequent demand, the authors have made available on their website the written form of the CD contents. This will no doubt be of great help to learning from this instructional set--it would have been for me—although it was clearly the authors intent that the learning experience be aural immersion. You can take a look at the CD contents at this site to get an idea of what the CDs cover:
http://homepage.mac.com/drmacnut/panpoly/language/olelo_hawaii/topics/index.html

KA LEI HA'AHEO: BEGINNING HAWAIIAN and TEACHER'S GUIDE AND ANSWER KEY - Hopkins, Alberta Pualani(Honolulu: University of Hawaii, 1992. 278p. and 105p.) Beginning text for Hawaiian best used in a classroom setting. http://kboo.stores.yahoo.net/kaleihaaheo.html
I like the abundance of modern-life "dialogues" presented in this book: language in action is good to study!

NA KAI 'EWALU - Hawaiian Language Textbook -- Pila Wilson http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/khuok/hknke.php
"Na Kai ‘Ewalu is an excellent book for learning the Hawaiian language as it explains the rules of the language in the style of Hawaiian language structure and using Hawaiian words. There are three sections of the book:"
*Book 1: Chapters 1-10 (Year 1, First Semester
*Book 2: Chapters 11-20 (Year 1, Second Semester)
*Book 3: Year 2
Requested Donation: $5 for each book.
This set of 3 spiral-bound notebooks is very interesting in its presentation of Hawaiian grammar and vocabulary from a *Hawaiian point of view* -- uniquely Hawaiian terms have been coined for the parts of speech, reflecting a Hawaiian world-view, which in turn illuminates in part how the Hawaiian mind works in describing the world. It was and may still be the basis for teaching first and second year Hawaiian at the UH-Hilo. It's a bargain at $15.

E KAMA'ILIO HAWAI'I KAKOU - Let's Speak Hawaiian by Dorothy M. Kahananui and Alberta P. Anthony. http://www.amazon.com/Speak-Hawaiian-Kamailio-HawaiI-Kakou/dp/0824802837/ref=pd_sim_b_4/002-0576361-9700837?ie=UTF8
"This course for beginners emphasizes the development of conversational skills, through dialogs and drills. The included book includes directed responses, questions and answers, narratives, and practice exercises. Let's Speak Hawaiian was developed by A.P. Anthony by D.M. Kahananui."
a. Book alone Retail Price: $19.00
b. Includes 8 audiocassettes (8 and a half hours.) $225.95
Here’s another text with tapes now: the 8 tapes are new to me; when I inquired at the publishers some years ago, there was only the 13-tape course set for $400.00 direct from the publisher.) This book would benefit from tapes, as it is full of "drills" that are rather dry (tedious) in print.

'OLELO 'OIWI HE KAHUA: He Puke A'o 'Olelo Hawai'i - Author: Hokulani Cleeland. Publ: Booklines Hawaii Ltd. ISBN 1550363905. "It might be difficult to work through for a beginning Hawaiian student, but for intermediate and advanced students it is invaluable because it gives the whys for sentence patterns and word choices. The cultural notes are invaluable not only for speaking the language, but for thinking in Hawaiian. The book consists of thirty-five lessons, each of which has sections covering vocabulary, pronunciation, word usage, and grammar. The exercises consist entirely of Hawaiian sentences that the student is to transform following a given grammatical pattern, along the lines of "I/go" --> "Must I go?". No reading selections or conversations are given, which makes this text rather dry for the student studying on his own." I agree with this review.

Other sources: the `Aha Pünana Leo website http://www.ahapunanaleo.org/storefront.html for children’s books and tapes, good for reading Hawaiian at an elementary level. I've learned interesting modern-day vocabulary as well as interesting turns of phrase and idioms from some of the stories. The tapes are very helpful for practicing understanding the spoken word. Downloadable PDF catalog.

P.S. I've seen a reprint of a very old Andrews "grammar" book, and in my opinion, it is mostly of historical interest because it tries so hard to fit the Hawaiian language into a Western language grammatical format, with references to cases and tenses and stuff that was probably familiar to scholars of his time studying Latin and Greek, but isn't so helpful to me as a modern student trying to learn and internalize the language.

Edited by - Sarah on 12/17/2006 05:28:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  08:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Thank you so much, Sarah, for your throughtful comments about these different learning materials. I only have the "Instant Immersion" CDs and made the mistake of thinking I could start listening to it while on a five-hour drive to a new (to me) area of the state. I did fine handling the material aurally and repeating it back until I got to traffic. Between thinking about the roads, the traffic and where I wanted to head to, all Hawaiian left my mind entirely. I don't recommend this learning environment at all!

Your informative "reviews" have left me re-committed to trying again--this time while I can really concentrate on what I'm hearing.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  12:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tonya

Thank you so much, Sarah, for your throughtful comments about these different learning materials. I only have the "Instant Immersion" CDs and made the mistake of thinking I could start listening to it while on a five-hour drive to a new (to me) area of the state. I did fine handling the material aurally and repeating it back until I got to traffic. Between thinking about the roads, the traffic and where I wanted to head to, all Hawaiian left my mind entirely. I don't recommend this learning environment at all!

Your informative "reviews" have left me re-committed to trying again--this time while I can really concentrate on what I'm hearing.

I too would recommend Learn Hawaiian at Home, because it's a perfect book for a beginning haumana. I'm using it to this day when time allows. I can't wait to go back to Hawai`i in 2007. I went two years ago and loved it.

This is also for anyone interested in learning 'olelo. I have taught three lessons over the telephone with quite a turnout on all of them. I think the most people I had on one was 11 or 12. If I teach more lessons in the future which I'm sure I will, please e-mail me if you are interested in coming on, and I'll send you the info. Hope you can tune in!

A hui hou!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  1:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

quote:

I too would recommend Learn Hawaiian at Home, because it's a perfect book for a beginning haumana. I'm using it to this day when time allows. I can't wait to go back to Hawai`i in 2007. I went two years ago and loved it.

This is also for anyone interested in learning 'olelo. I have taught three lessons over the telephone with quite a turnout on all of them. I think the most people I had on one was 11 or 12. If I teach more lessons in the future which I'm sure I will, please e-mail me if you are interested in coming on, and I'll send you the info. Hope you can tune in!

A hui hou!

Remember I also helped you out with one of the lessons over the telephone. I am your assistant kumu...

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  4:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusiclover06

quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

quote:

A hui hou!

Remember I also helped you out with one of the lessons over the telephone. I am your assistant kumu...

Of course I remember! lol
Because of that, anyone who is interested can e-mail either of us.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  06:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Here's something to think about:
http://www.midweek.com/content/story/midweek_coverstory/talking_story_hawaiian_kine

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  4:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

Here's something to think about:
http://www.midweek.com/content/story/midweek_coverstory/talking_story_hawaiian_kine

aloha,
Sarah

Mahalo for sharing that. I admire the motivation of everyone who goes to Punana Leo.

This is something I wanted to post here for all you 'olelo speakers out there. As you must know, ke a'o mai nei au i ka 'olelo. I'm keeping up with my writing skills, but since I live in Maine there aren't lots of natives to practice speaking with. I really need someone to practice with before I go back to Hawai`i Nei next February. I want to speak with natives there if I get the chance to. Please send me a leka uila or IM if you don't mind practicing or you have any questions.

Oh, I forgot about another question. What if someone thinks I'm fluent and says something in 'olelo that I don't understand? Do I need to stress about that? I'm just worried about asking them for an English translation. What if English is prohibited as in the Punana Leo?

Mahalo nui loa ia 'oukou!
(You don't include yourself when you thank one or more people, do you?)

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Check this out!
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz22/quizpu.php?testid=1167133149

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  11:59:43 AM  Show Profile
E Alex e, aloha kaua,

Ua kipa aku au i ka paena punaewele kahi au i ho'ola'a ai i ke kuisa au i haku ai -- he le'ale'a no ke kuisa. 'Ike le'a 'ia he haumana 'eleu 'oe i ka 'olelo.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  12:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

E Alex e, aloha kaua,

Ua kipa aku au i ka paena punaewele kahi au i ho'ola'a ai i ke kuisa au i haku ai -- he le'ale'a no ke kuisa. 'Ike le'a 'ia he haumana 'eleu 'oe i ka 'olelo.

aloha,
Sarah

Translation please?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  8:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
"...he le'ale'a no ke kuisa."

The quiz is/was fun?

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  12:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
That's a start...

What did the rest of it mean?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  04:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Alex, e kala mai, my enthusiasm ran away with me. I'm not fluent either, just been studying longer.

Jesse, you got it - mahalo!

Alex, here's the English:
I visited the website where you posted the quiz you made -- the quiz was fun. It's plain to see you are an active student of the language.

aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 12/29/2006 04:09:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  1:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo for providing the English. I hope you don't mind translating what you write.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000