Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Amazing guitar playing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  4:25:47 PM  Show Profile
I found the following on Kenneth Makuakane's My Space page. He was obviously impressed by this guy. I don't have words to describe this amazing play and showmanship. Speechless, I guess I am.

WOW!

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=anjohn1983&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&b=0&oid=ffc64a2c335460e8&rurl=video.yahoo.com&vdone=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fvideo%3Fp%3Danjohn1983%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  5:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
There are a number of great players who tap the strings instead of strumming or plucking and you can find a lot of them on video sites like Youtube.com. Just search "guitar" and "tap" or "tapping". It can have a wonderful percussion to it, or it can sound like a piano.
I'm a fan of Adam Fulara, who plays a tapping guitar, similar to a Chapman stick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wShR8H5QWSM
Jese Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  07:39:36 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Wanda..WOW!...I guess I love this kind of stuff...I was lucky enough to see the late Michael Hedges here in Cleveland a few times...and recently Kaki King. two of my favorite
non-traditional players. Does anyone know if any web sites show a few lessons or easy songs in this style of playing? Most of this stuff is in alternate tunings. Mahalo for those posts..Ken.
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  07:51:36 AM  Show Profile
I still have an old Van Halen T-shirt. As such, I like this guy. I think Makana dabbles in this during live performances of the Poi Song. ???
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  1:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Chris Yeaton has also added some "tapping" to his Slack Key songs on his latest CDs. I asked him how he learned (via email) and he said Peppino D'Agostino taught him. Peppino has a DVD where he covers some of his rhythmic techniques and "tapping" which is the techincal term for most of the "other hand" note generation that is going on here. (I have the DVD and can be difficult to follow -- he hides a "shaker egg" in his right, plucking hand, shakes, and picks, taps the strings, and taps & slaps the guitar soundboard)

Being a Haole (but Kama'aina), I may be in the minority, but I think Slack Key has been open to different techniques (or embellishments) to make the guitar create "new" sounds to reflect the subject of the song and to add "interest". The video of Sonny Chillingworth playing with a large sewing needle suspended from a thread (hanging from his mouth) comes to mind. For that matter, hammer-ons, pull-offs, chimes, bends, slides, "steel-guitar" barring, etc. can all be used in slack key songs that I have heard. I bet even Led Ka'apana uses "tapping".

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  2:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Also too, Keola Beamer does a fair amount of "tapping". We just got a DVD of him "Ki Ho`alu" and most of the songs he does some fancy kine stuff. However, I was just discussing with my husband that I am not sure if I like what Mr. Beamer did on the DVD. For instance they had Mr. Beamer playing Makee `Ailana and then Cyril. I sure liked the way Cyril did it mo` bettah. It seems to fancied up to me. That is why I like slack key and Hawaiian music in general...nothing fancy, but pure, true beauty, including the poetry in the songs. Much Hawaiian music so made of very simple melodies and chords, but is so much more rich and touching than fancy mainland kine music with all the B flat 7th diminished sharp augmented 9th minor kine stuff.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000