Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 favorite hawaiian foods?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  1:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to know what are some of your favorite hawaiian foods? Some of mines are:

-Laulau
-Lomilomi Salmon
-Mahimahi
-Chicken long rice
-Poi
-Squid luau
-Haupia (Yummy!)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  5:13:02 PM  Show Profile
It's been a while since I've been in Hawaii and this food is eaten there but is not necessarily Hawaiian:
This is what I miss...

Pig from an imu
Primo beer (bye bye)
Black sushi
Cone sushi
Malasadas
Dried cuttlefish
Lihi moi
shredded mango
Kim chi

Bob
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  5:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Perhaps because I am mainland-raised, I never really liked real Hawaiian food. I would watch my aunties dip their fingers in poi and eat ahi poke, but I always wanted a hamburger.
But I've branched out a little. I love teriyaki plate lunch, loco moco, chili and rice, haupia and all the fresh fruit I can find. Best breakfast is when you have to find a long stick and lash your knife on it to get that ripe papaya that is just out of everyone else's reach. LiHing mango is an addictive snack.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 01/04/2007 5:35:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  04:12:38 AM  Show Profile
I would go to Suisan fish market in Hilo and then to the farmer's market just over the bridge and buy everything in sight that was caught or picked that very day. Last time we were there one morning, Sarah and I watched 9 300lb Yellow Fins hauled out of a small boat and iced. They had just been caught that night. The store had a wedge of one. There was also a 2 or 3 lb Achilles Tang for sale that was still flipping. The veggies and fruit at the farmers market were gorgeous and presented like works of art.

No need to cook any of it. Just a few soy-based dips and some Kohuko Rose rice. And a nice sauvignon blanc.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  08:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Mahi Mahi taco from Tropical Taco in Hanalei. MMMMMMMMMM good!

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  12:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Mahimahi! Could eat it all day! Mmmmmm!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  06:37:59 AM  Show Profile
I still look for the old kine manapua - the big one with LOTS of filling. My favorite of course is "babacue po'k". Hey Jessie - can get malasadas here in Torrance at King's Hawaiian. C'mon back! Anyone like Okinawan dango? I still make sometimes - last time was when Keoki, Daniel and Herb gave us workshops at Dietz Bros music school here in Manhattan Beach.
Food!! I gotta stop thinking about food and think EXERCISE!!!!!
n
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  08:11:47 AM  Show Profile
If ya'all are still hungry, feast on this:
www.onokinegrindz.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  1:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Yum! The best meal I ever had in my life was at Chai's Island Bistro at Aloha Tower Market Place in Honolulu. We had the appetizer plate which featured seared ahi, duck spring rolls, crab cakes and the most amazing giant tiger prawns on a skewer. The prawns were so big that only one fit on a skewer. For entree, I had Ipacific rim ciopino with prawns, scallops and clams in a coconut broth. For desert, I had the chocolate pyramid. WOW! And to top it all off, there was Robert and Roland Cazimero to entertain us. They even played one of my favorite songs -- Henehene Kou Aka. Afterwards, we thanked Roland for playing it. He said they rarely do that song, but for some reason, Robert wanted to do it that night. Roland is a most friendly man. He was kind enough to take a picture with my husband, Paul. We also ate very well at Sam Choy's Breakfast , Lunch and Crab. I had a CLT sandwich - crab, lettuce and tomato. Wow! I don't remember what food Paul had, but he did try the sampler of beeers, since there is a brewery on the premises. We thought he would get maybe shot glass sized assortment of the 7 different beers. Nothing is ever small at Sam Choy's! The beers were about 6 oz. each, I think. And Paul drank them all! I had to have the ubiquitous umbrella drink. As far as homemade food, I love kalua pua`a; laulau, loco moco, haupia, mahimahi cooked just about any way you can, and of course two scoops rice. Yum! Ono kine grinz. I make my pua`a at home in the crockpot, haole style. I put spinach leaves on the bottom of the crock pot, rub a bony, fatty pork shoulder roast with Hawaiian sea salt and liquid smoke, put more spinach leaves on top, maybe a bit of shoyu and pineapple or orange juice to give a bit more moisture, then I cook it all day. Takes just like the real thing. As far as laulau, it is very hard to get ti leaves in Cleveland, so I have substituted banana leaves, plus I put a bit of spinach leaves on the inside of the packet to give it the flavor of steamed leaves, Then I wrap it in aluminum foil and steam in a bamboo steamer basket. Oh yeah, I forgot -- I also make a great macadamia nut pie -- similar to pecan pie, but lighter in color and much more onolicious. Haupia is way easy to make and tastes so good. Oh yea, saimin, too, and chicken long rice. I have some good recipes from the Sam Choy/Makaha Sons Luau Cookbook. Good eats.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  2:31:36 PM  Show Profile
wcerto, I'm intrigued by your use of spinach in leiu of ti leaves. How does that come out? In Oregon, we can get banana and the occasional ti leave, but spinach may be a cheaper alternative. I've done the recipe that you have detailed, but with ti. I'm now quite curious.......
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Wanda: We usually do our kalua pork prepared similarly to your description but outside on our gas grill on fairly low temperature for a long time and it comes out really ono! We did a whole turkey too the same way this past thanksgiving and everyone loved it.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  5:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Kalua pork in the crockpot can taste great if you use a cup or two of apple juice for the liquid.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  06:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply, Wanda. I'm firing up the oven this weekend. Your spinach idea has me craving pig! I, too have done the turkey, and it was a hit. The leftovers are great if they're stuffen into some wuntun wrappers and fried for the post-holiday football games. I hear Cornish game hens work well, too.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  06:48:12 AM  Show Profile
Something becoming helpful/popular here is a neat alternative to the pit for slow roasting a whole pig etc. Check out this website for a good look: napastyle.com and then to #2633 Family Reunion barbecue pit
Andy, I don't think you can use spinach in place of ti or banana leaves. I imagine you can get both at local asian markets, if not in friend's yard. Banana seems to grow everywhere though ti is more sensitive.
Do you folks like the liquid smoke? Are there different kinds? Some of the local restaurants use it, perhaps a bit heavy-handed.
Yummmmmm........

Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  07:00:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice, Pua Kai. I, too, was skeptical about the spinach leaves, but I'll try anything once. We'll see. We have a large Asian market here that stocks ti and banana leaves, albeit seasonally. I'll check the website that you mentioned; it's always nice to get new BBQ ideas. Jonathon Yee has a great imu tutorial linked off of his hawaiiankava.com page. In regards to liquid smoke, I've always diluted it 50/50 with water before I rub it on the meat. Seems to cut down on the abrasiveness......

AJ
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  07:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Okay, just looked at the napa site, and I'm inspired to do some building. I suppose the old-school 55 gallon drum method works, too. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000