Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Are You Into Danny Carvalho?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
If you are or are curious about his music, the following email I got from him will be of interest. If you haven't heard him, this will be a treat.

Aloha and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou,

Mark E

Aloha and Happy New Year:

This is a short note to thank you for purchasing my CD, Slack Key
Journey - On My Way from CD Baby. I hope you are enjoying my music.

If you heard me on A Prairie Home Companion on November 11, I would
like to let you know that a second, previously un-aired and entirely
different show was also done that day for a Hawaii audience, and this
show will be aired on A Prairie Home Companion on January 6, 2007.

I hope you have a chance to listen in.

Aloha,

Danny Carvalho

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  10:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
If you you haven't had a chance to hear this young artist, try and make the time available this Saturday and listen to Danny. I've been very fortunate to have Danny play as a guest artist for my slack key classes here at UH Music these past two semesters. He is one of less than a handful of the new artist's that I will personally listen to on a consistent basis. He is very very good.

Peter Medeiros

quote:
Originally posted by Mark E

If you are or are curious about his music, the following email I got from him will be of interest. If you haven't heard him, this will be a treat.

Aloha and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou,

Mark E

Aloha and Happy New Year:

This is a short note to thank you for purchasing my CD, Slack Key
Journey - On My Way from CD Baby. I hope you are enjoying my music.

If you heard me on A Prairie Home Companion on November 11, I would
like to let you know that a second, previously un-aired and entirely
different show was also done that day for a Hawaii audience, and this
show will be aired on A Prairie Home Companion on January 6, 2007.

I hope you have a chance to listen in.

Aloha,

Danny Carvalho

Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  2:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Danny is a great slack key player, and a great person, to boot.

I met him at Ozzies house a while back and he instantly impressed me. Not only can he play circles around most of us at a very young age, but he is also humble and gracious. I was so impressed with him I instantly bought his CD and listen to it often.

It's kind of odd that this topic came up today, because just yesterday two people asked me about him. Way to go, Danny, you're really making a name for yourself!

-Lance

PS--Danny played his slack key version of a Santana song, "Europa," at last years Oahu slack key festival. It is supreb, and is on his CD. Highly recommended!

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  4:07:29 PM  Show Profile
By chance I happened to catch Danny this evening on PHC on my way back from Church. I didn't know he was going to be on so it was a double treat to catch slack key on the radio and by someone so talented. Congratulations, Danny, on a job very well done.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  8:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I listened, too, but don't enjoy Danny's version of Whee Ha Swing as much because it seems too fast to understand. He's very poised and plays beautiful arrangements.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  05:22:27 AM  Show Profile
We heard it on PHC, too, and also have his CD. One of the things that is very apparent about his own compositions and arrangements is that he has a definite point of view that is his own. Yes, you can hear traces of Ozzie's tonal choices, but Danny, unlike many young players, seems to know where he wants his style to go - it is not quite there yet, maybe, but the direction is clear. His own pieces are, in a sense, a bit like Ozzie's *originals* on his first 2 CDs (excepting those that he was forced to make up on the fly in the studio, like the variations of Kani Ki Ho`alu, which have never been played or covered since, and never tabbed) - lyrical and a bit New Agey. Until I listened to Danny a few times, I didn't know what to make of what he was doing.

Jesse, About those show-pieces he burned through - I think that was just to show that he could. That kind of super fast playing on a recording, or during a rare large audience performance is fairly common for younger players trying to demo their chops. I think that even Sonny did it on the Dancing Cat releases - I suppose to show that he hadn't lost anything. Anyway, that doesn't seem like the style that Danny has, or is developing.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  8:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
If you didn't get to hear the show but would like to, they've got it archived and you can hear it at your convenience. Just go to:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2007/01/06/index.shtml

Happy listening.

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  3:12:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm blown away - this guy is only 16 and he plays like that!
For someone so young to be so far into developing his own voice - you just know you're in the presence of a great GIFT.

Jessie, yeah Whee Ha was a bit too fast. Maybe he does it that way -- maybe "stage nerves" -- but to be able to pull it off at the tempo he played tells me his basic technique is rock solid.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  11:53:50 AM  Show Profile
I got the album and gave it a couple of listenings. IMHO, if Danny stays in slack key and keeps growing, he will be the next "Grand Master," if there is such a thing. It really is hard to believe he was only 15 when he recorded that CD. Not only technically right on, but a whole lot of "musicality" for any person, much less someone that young. I think this album gets on my current list of "must haves."
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  3:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Danny will be performing at Atherton Theater in Honolulu Feb 17:
http://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/athertonschedule.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  6:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
The announcement says "Danny and friends."

Not only is Danny great to listen to (and could easily pull this off on his own) but I know who his "friends," at least some of them, will be.

I Highly recommend attending this concert. I'm going to try to be there, to see Danny as well as the others. You're sure not to be dissapointed.

-Lance

PS-Can't spill da beans yet, sorry. But no worries, it WON'T be me!!

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000