Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 who do you idolize for their musicianship?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  08:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha,
Just wanted to start a topic who do you idolize for their musicianship? This means someobne who plays the same instrument as you and you look up to.

For me, the person that I idolize for their musicianship is Aaron Sala because he plays the piano so good that I want to play like him because I also play the piano.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Although most of us have a short (or long) list of slack key guitar players we admire, but the one player on every list is probably Led Ka'apana. He plays traditional Hawaiian style at blazing speeds and he is endlessly inventive and his rhythm never wavers.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  12:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aaron Sala - wish I could play piano like him
Emma Veary - what a fantastic opera singer
Raiatea Helm and Auntie Genoa Keawe - they can both hold notes soooooo long, like in "Alika" without taking any breaths, wish I could do that!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  07:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
For starters, Willie K and Nathan Aweau. Both of whom are outstanding musicians and vocalists...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  07:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Ditto and Willie K and Nathan Aweau. Both are fantastic in any kind of music and both are innovators in Hawaiian music.
Falsetto is one of my favorite types of Hawaiian music. I've especially enjoyed the Ho'opi'i Brothers, Gary Haleamau, Martin Pahinui, Kimo Alama Keaulana and groups like Maunalua, Ale'a, Palolo, Kolea and others that have featured falsetto in the lead.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Kevin Brown

BTW: With all these questions on various threads, are you writing a book?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  12:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Ditto and Willie K and Nathan Aweau. Both are fantastic in any kind of music and both are innovators in Hawaiian music.
Falsetto is one of my favorite types of Hawaiian music. I've especially enjoyed the Ho'opi'i Brothers, Gary Haleamau, Martin Pahinui, Kimo Alama Keaulana and groups like Maunalua, Ale'a, Palolo, Kolea and others that have featured falsetto in the lead.
Jesse Tinsley

Kimo Alama Keaulana was my 'Olelo Hawai'i and Hawaiian culture teacher in college.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  2:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Kimo seems to encapsulate the joy of traditional Hawaiian music with his singing. He really makes the songs come to life.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  7:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Certainly all of the above, along with Sonny, Ozzie, Steve Sano, and Frank Hewwitt are great music "heroes" for me. As I've posted before, the actual people I look up to musically changes somewhat over time.

I want to add a few names because these are the people I find myself going back to over and over, especially in the last 9 - 12 months:
Kahauanu Lake. (As my ears are getting more discriminating, I hear more and more in his arrangements.)
George Helm. (Big soul, impeccable phrasing.)
Lena Machado. (No words needed.)
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:20:07 PM  Show Profile
...too many to count, all are unique in there own way. For me, Ray Kane, & Cyril Pahinui. A hair's breath a behind them would be Dennis Kamakahi, Led & Lehua Kaapana, Mike Kaawa, Dennis Paavo, and all the guys in the SCSKS.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Willie K. Every show of his has been amazing. The guy can do any style. I was fortunate enough to see him with Sean Na, and it was mind blowing....
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  3:16:14 PM  Show Profile
What?
No Keola Beamer fans?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  5:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

What?
No Keola Beamer fans?

I like Keola Beamer too...I wish I can play the guitar like him.

Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  6:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I also look up these musician also:

Cyril Pahinui- for his slack key guitar playing
Keali'i Blaisdell-for his slack key guitar playing and his song writing

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  7:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Ditto to everyone named so far. Just to be different, I thought I'd mention a non-Hawaiian musician. Here is a guy who does not read music, but man can he play, works hard, and performs an average of 300 shows per year. Idolize for his musicianship? Uh yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_BG_A58TxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft9LVWoLSwQ

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  01:24:55 AM  Show Profile
Dennis Kamakahi no ka oi. Same thing for George Kahumoku.
Dennis is so amazing in the poetry of his songs. I am totally blown away when I think of the emotional maturity of songs he wrong when he was quite young. The imagery of his songs, the impact of his songs, the sheer loveliness of his melodies....oooh, what can I say. His guitar playing is superb as well. As for George, there is nothing more relaxing, his singing style and his picking style. You always feel, though, that there is a bit of kohole lurking under there. And his book kept me luaghing and laughing. Thank you Dennis and George.

Patrick Landeza is totally amazing for one so young. His smooth, melodic picking style makes you yearn for the Islands. Truly nahenahe. Plus, he is one top notch kumu. He knows just how to present the material so the student grasps it quickly and permanently. His voice is so beautiful, plus he is just one daggon all-around swell, nice guy. How he has the energy to do all that promoting, touring, teaching, husbanding, fathering, etc., is beyond me. I guess age is on his side. Mahalo for your music, Patrick.

Now, this is certainly not to dis any other fine musicians. No song is more beautiful than Cyril singing "Kaulana Kawaihae" yet he can switch into `Ulili E without losing a beat. Plus I have heard him playing banjo as well, I think on the brown album.

Matter of fact....if you play or even attempt ki ho`alu, you are obviously one swell musician. Ki ho`alu is not for the faint hearted.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000