Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Password security
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  08:41:43 AM  Show Profile
I usually take big time security precautions with computers in general and especially when I do business on the internet. Mostly, if you are the least bit careful, it is safer than giving your credit card number, for instance, to a faceless voice on the phone. However, I use my personal wifi lan a lot and was astounded when I read today an article in the NYT about how easy it is to sniff unencrypted passwords and uids and other important stuff from the air. Even from wired ethernet connections.

Since I use Firefox, I turned on the option that tells me when I am sending unencrypted passwords to a site and, as I should have known, this is one (because I don't see an https padlock and yellowed address box). I use several passwords for different purposes and I use my least secure one for here, but I have used it for certain transactions elsewhere (sloppy).

The bottom line is that you should use a *totally* unimportant password for this site and any others like it. I am changing mine to one that has no other use.

...Reid

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  12:20:08 PM  Show Profile
Good point.

There are sooo many sites that require a password. For BB's and other low risk sites I use the same password. For others, like retail sites that might store my credit card number, I use a longer password that is unique to each site. They all warn against writing it down. Ha! I am supposed to remember them all? I have two, going on three, pages in a three-ring binder of IDs and passwords.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  04:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Pauline, One of the smartest solutions to the password proliferation (and memory) problem was used by one of the many commenters. He has a formula in his head that is based on the site page name, and produces a unique key for that site. So, all he does is is look at the URL and mentally cranks it out. You can probably think up a simple algorithm that would do that.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000