Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 When Good Fingers go Bad
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  5:29:43 PM  Show Profile
I hope you enjoy the reality show title :)

Ok this is post 100, I wanted to wait until I had something non-trivial to ask. Hopefully I am not ending a really great trend.

Here goes.
I play guitar about three hours a day (because I like to) and my finger tip calouses have been getting very thick and are deeply grooved.

The grooves have become semi-permanent and are causing problems. Sometimes I have sensititity in the grooves but my biggest problem is that I can't play some passages consistently because my grooves snag on the strings.

An example: while playing Moe 'Uhane my finger tip grooves are making the push/pull offs very problematic.

Lately I have had to resort to parking my guitars. I am messing around with my bottleneck to fill the void, but hey, it's not slack key--know what I mean Vern?

This could be a common problem for those members that play a lot.

My question is:
How can I minimize or eliminate this problem?
And no, I do not want to stop playing guiar.

Advanced Thanks to all
Bob

Bob

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  03:45:39 AM  Show Profile
My experience, Bob, is that I don?t really need quite all the callous buildup, so what I do is take a nail file, one of those foam-core flexible kind, and gently buff down my callouses to reduce the groove and any rough edges, which do indeed snag up on those hammer-on/pull-offs, I haven?t suffered from too little callous as a result of smoothing them out.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  05:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I have also filed a callous in order to smooth it out. Longer term, though, I think that deep grooves are likely the result of pressing down too hard. Perhaps your action is higher than it should be? Can you play with a lighter touch?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  07:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I'm with Andy on this one. My first guitar was a 12 string...and not a real good one. The action was high and the strings hard to push down. It really retarded my progress as a player because it was too hard to push the strings down beyond the 3rd fret. That was 30 some years ago. As a consequence, to this day, I have a tendency to push really hard on the strings. Even though I have a guitars with very easy action, I still, because of that first guitar, push too hard. Examine why it is that you have to push so hard. Is it because you can't get a clean sound unless you do? If so then consider getting an adjustment on the guitar to lower the action. If not, try to make a concerted effort to be aware of the amount of pressure you are applying and try to lighten up a bit. Sometimes when I find myself pushing so hard I have to tell myself to ease up. Experiment and see just how little pressure you have to apply and still get a clean sound. It will help you figure out if it's just you or the guitar, or maybe a combination of both.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  1:18:21 PM  Show Profile
I may be using excessive pressure and I will pay more attention to it now.
As far as action goes, my guitars are at the hight side of normal measuring approx 3/32 at the 12th fret.

I cannot get my action really low because of buzzing and I have played around with both neck relief and string hight.

In my electric days, my action was really low because the buzzing didn't show up through a distorted amp. Wish I could set it that low on acoustic.

Action is one of those things that drives me crazy. I want it lower but can't get there with any of my acoustics.
Medium or light/medium strings have also been a tough adjustment for me coming from nylon.

I will try filing my callus and playing with a lighter touch.

Thanks for the two good suggestions.

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  1:43:59 PM  Show Profile
The Taylor spec is a good one for fingerstyle: 4/64 at the 12th, 1st string; 6/64 at the 12th, 6th string, as I remember. That's what all 9 of ours are. Unless you are a gorilla, you have a kind of Bluegrass action height, if your measurement is of the 1st string.

If you come from nylon (which also has a high action because of the string requirements) go for lights, get a good tech to set up your guitar (usually it is a high saddle, or bad neck set for the kind of music you are playing, or just the wrong guitar).

Also, work on your right hand ergonomics - are you plucking *up*? If so, guaranteed to be bad buzz. Read a bit about tone production.

It is the guitar's job to produce a loud and pleasing sound. It is up to you to find that guitar and make it happen.

...Reid

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Reid:
String height was from the 12th fret 6th string and both of my steel string guitars are about the same. They are closer to 7/64.
Thanks for making me aware of the up-stoke.

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  5:37:41 PM  Show Profile
A note to Sarah and Andy:
The callus filing worked. My fingers are a little tender from playing now but they are not deeply grooved or snaging the strings anymore.
I thought this was going to be a really bad problem.
Thank you both.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  7:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Excellent. Glad that it worked for you.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  04:39:28 AM  Show Profile
Great, Bob. Happy fretting!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic