Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Dueling 'Ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  1:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Hey 'ukers, especially Dr. Cookies TP'ers. This is another easy one to do in taro patch. A forthnight ago I was watching late movie and Deliverance was playing. Dueling Banjos number was the inspiration for this. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz4tId1sqkc

Uncle Dave

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  12:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Did you put that finger somewhere it didn't belong!? Nice work Dave, and quit playing so much that you hurt your fingers.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  2:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Yep, was DUI, tired, and careless and operating power tools. Owwweeeee. And Hilo emergency is so lame they don't sew fingers back. So, hung up the kika and dusted off da uku.
Mahalo
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  05:20:18 AM  Show Profile
Fun! I like the way you get fancier and faster. Are you sure you didn't just speed up the video tape? Ha, ha, only kidding!!

I want to tell you, Uncle Dave, I really like your "Take Me Back to the Big Isle" - it is lovely. Brings images to mind of so many wonderful places on the Big Island, and sure would make someone feel homesick if they weren't already. Makes *me* feel homesick, and I'm not from there.

aloha no,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  06:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Very sad to hear of nature of your injury. Hope it heals better than you may expect. I have been hesitating to ask this, but I've decided to dare it anyhow. Can you tell us something of how you approach slack key style composition? Are there some basic rhythmic patterns and chords that you believe work well with slack key style for ukulele? (I'm not looking for buzzing strings.) You seem to be very creative with regard to rhythmic patterns, and I don't want to be a pain with regard to your time, so I will understand if you choose to not take the time to respond. Hope you are feeling better soon. Thank you for all the great videos.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Absolute - Chord structures and patterns are all the same for all the songs for any particular tuning. In Hawaiian music basic pattern is vamp, melody, vamp, melody, vamp. Tempo can be fast like Ka'apana or mellow and slow like Ray Kane which depends on the song. But regardless if fast or slow you still use the same basic chord structures. Slack key is easy to play onc you get the hang of it. I try to break it down with tutorial videos I.m posting on the internet to supplement to lesson book. Hopefull it will finish by February - - just have to tab a few more songs.

Aloha
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000