Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Absolute L @ @ K
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  5:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Aloha Absolute

Check one of my video tutorials here to get more insight into slack key. This is for chapter 10 so it's a little advanced and I'm saying concepts that are learned in chapter 2 but I think it will help you some. It's also for the baritone 'ukulele. I have a separate video for smaller 'ukes.

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=24529&CID=68718

Enjoy, Uncle Dave

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  09:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Lots to learn in your video! I appreciate the pattern information vamp - pattern - vamp - pattern - vamp. I hadn't gotten that far yet in terms of analyzing slack key composition. It means that I need to pay more attention to the "vamp", which I presume is the fundamental, improvisational element, where you are freed from the pattern long enough to make a musical statement. (I was trying to implement tunes in the pattern itself, which was proving rather difficult and not yielding the desired results, forcing it to be interspersed with the bass pattern in betweeen melodic segments, and inducing southern blues and bluegrass effects in what I've been working on. Restoring the pattern in a very fixed manner and using the vamp repeatedly should solve that problem.) Playing close to the bridge is also useful information. I heard that you were using "D major" ("wahine") tuning. The D major scale is, of course, C# D E F# G A B (which is also the scale to which most Irish traditional music is written). For ukulele tuning, with a G-C-E-A string set, I'd be using G C# E F# for "D wahine" (D woman) tuning??? One could get the impression that the name suggests that this is intended to be easier on the fingers of a woman playing a steel stringed guitar by placing less tension on some strings relative to fretting. I can try this with a G-C-E-A string set, although I suspect G-C-E-G (taro patch) is more practical with a nylon stringed standard ukulele, because that high A string starts to buzz a bit more as you loosen it up, particularly if you play closer to the bridge (and even more so if you have a finger on a fret on the "A" string and your bridge needs some work). With nylon strings, tension isn't really that big a deal relative to tearing up one's fingers while fretting with a ukulele (although there is clearly value in musical variation). The Joni Mitchell string numbering system that you mentioned is way over my head. I normally just try to handle things in the most basic terms possible, hoping to make the most of what I know I can understand and immediately apply. Thanks for all the great information, fine examples, and inspiration! (As for singing in falsetto, I'll leave that to those for whom it is part of their native culture, implemented with suitable respect and seriousness rather than as a nauseating lark in western music. You do it Hawaiian style very well!)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000