Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Keawe's Hawaii's Hope
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  08:32:56 AM  Show Profile
I have run into a tuning that I have not seen before.
John Keawe's "Hawaii's Hope" on his Beautifull Hula Dancer album uses what I cyphered out to be Bb F D F Bb D (Bb major?).

All the harmonics match up and I can play the entire song easily "under finger" so I am pretty sure I have the correct tuning.

Does it have a name (at pitch or transcribed up)?
This is the lowest tuning I have used to date and it is wonderful.

Thanks
Bob

Bob

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  10:48:49 AM  Show Profile
That would be C G E G C E, an open-C tuning known as Atta's C, dropped down a full note. Atta Isaacs played so much in it, it became known as his tuning. It *is* a lovely tuning, very sweet. I think part of its beauty comes from the extended range that the low C on one end and the high E on the other end provide. I can't find much that has been actually tabbed out in it -- only two pieces that I know of: Sweet Leilehua in the Nelson-Beamer book "Learn to Play Slack Key Guitar", and Ozzie has a workshop tab (i.e., not available) of Pua Lei Ka 'Ilima in that tuning.

Reid has done an analysis of the tuning and can tell you much more about all the notes and their relationships.
He mentions his work here:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1055
And you can read his analysis posted here (thank you, Craig):
http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/attasc.pdf

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Goodness gracious you guys! I am begining to think you two realy do know what you are talkin' 'bout. kidding of course.
Hey, that was impressive.

Mahalo
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Jim "Kimo" West has a song, "'Ulupalaku Sunset" that was written and performed on his Coconut Hat CD in Atta's C. A gentleman in Japan, Mr. Hiroto Yanayida transcribed it for him in 2/4 time. He only has a hard copy. I play it in the Bb Major tuning. I am working on a transcription in 4/4 or common time using G7 and correcting a few minor errors in Hiroto's tab that I will email to Jim after I work out the kinks as compared to his CD. You might want to ask him if he can fax/mail you the hand written tab. It has a few difficult sections and is in the intermediate to advanced level.

John uses the Bb major on the "Beatiuful Hula Dancer" CD several times. If you email John Keawe he'll give you the songs/tunings. I got a partial list from him a while back after I mentioned I liked the (new) tuning otherwise I'd list them here.

I was playing around one day with pentatonic scales using this tuning and came up with my own song, Debbie's Wink. I almost have it tabbed out in G7. Chunky Monkey likes the song.

Other than that, not much that I can find (other than the ones Sarah mentioned).

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  3:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Bob,

Yes, it's a Bb tuning. He taught us at AMC last summer. I absolutely love that song. It's now part of my performance set.

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 01/24/2007 05:21:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  11:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
John's response (he's lurking...): "you can tell that Haole Boy that he’s got the right tuning."

You folks have some talented ears, for certain...
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  6:26:26 PM  Show Profile
Please pass along my thanks for John's input.
I saw him in Minneapolis this December where I bought his CD.
John, you play beautifully man. I enjoyed your music and performance very much--enough to start learning one of your songs by ear.
We talked for a while at the workshop and I mentioned that I let his group have thier "space" at the hotel. I am a small man with a graying beard. Who knows, maybe John will remember the brief encounter.

Special note:
I am trying to blend a very heart-warming phone message left by our 5 yr old grand-daughter with John's "Hawaii's hope" as a valentines day gift to my wife. I think it will bring a joyful tear to a proud grandmother.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000