Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 goin' electric!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  6:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hello,

i'm interested in amping up my uke. i don't want to drill into it or anything, but i think that it would be fun to play with some kind of pickup on it.

what works well? similarly, what works well for a pickup on a guitar that isn't already amp ready?

mahalo nui loa,
keith

(i'm glad the neighbors aren't reading this group)

Keith

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  6:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Keith, have you heard of Pickup The World pickups? http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/
These are film transducers that mount with sticky tape. They're designed to go inside the instrument, but I taped one to the outside of my cheapest uke and it sounded GREAT! Very natural and clear. The model I used was a #27, and I used a PowerPlug preamp. If you call the number on the website they may have some suggestions for the best model for a uke.

There are other "contact mic" external pickups out there, but this is one I've heard and been impressed with, if you don't mind a slightly funky appearance.

For guitar, I am happiest with a B-Band AST 1470 with internal preamp. This requires drilling the end pin to install a jack/end pin, and fastening a battery inside the guitar, but the sound is pretty darned good. For greater flexibility without quite as excellent sound quality, the Fishman Rare Earth Blend works well. It's a small soundhole pickup with a mic attached. I have one permanently mounted in my Larrivee Parlor, but before I had it nailed down I just stuck it in and routed the wiring around with masking tape.

Other people like other things, of course. PUTW makes soundboard and undersaddle guitar transducers, as do Baggs, K&K, Fishman, and others. The K&K and B-Band are the ones I've most often heard good reports about.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  01:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Has anyone played a ukestick? It looks like a little headless solid body electric uke. It's supposedly made in Germany and I was wondering if it was playable.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 11/21/2002 01:08:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  09:29:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,

I've used both Barcus Barry and Schaller external pick-ups on my ukes. They both seem to do well. However, you'll need to tape down the chord so it doesn't hit your uke and make noise. I use a soundhole magnetic pickup for my tenor guitar (you will need a steel stringed instrument) with great success.

On the subject of the ukestick. Sorry, but I've never used one of those. However, I did recently pick up one of those RISA ukes (the ones that look like a travel guitar). It seems to be a fine instrument and a good deal for the money. Tony Graziano in Santa Cruz also makes a nice intrument called the "hulacaster". Beautiful workmanship and it sounds great too!

Aloha,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000