Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Jake and Tommy Emmanuel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  4:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
All serious ukulele players should see Jake Shimabukuro live any chance they can to get the full impact of this talented artist. Jake was amazing the other night at the palace of fine arts. But paired with Tommy Emmanuel, what an incredible show. The question why Jake would open for the guy was answered after the first few moments when Tommy tore into his signature boom-chick guitar style. It is not fair to compare the two because Jake uses the full potential of the uke and must be even more clever to perform the magic he does. But 2 more strings on the guitar make possible intricate bass runs that drive the music along as Tommy Emmanuel took everyone through a complex assortement of emotions with his music and charm. The fun and joy of these two master musicians performing for an appreciative audience made for an incredible and inspiring night. Thanks Rick and Nigel for the tickets.

Stay Tuned...

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  03:38:53 AM  Show Profile
Did Tommy do his Australian guitar-top scratching percussion number during the concert? It is the kind of thing none of us would ever think to do (shudder), yet it is entirely appropriate for the piece. But, Tommy views his Matons as tools, as a carpenter thinks of of his hammer. He insists he is an "entertainer" rather than a "guitarist" (even though Chet dubbed him a CGP - Certified Guitar Player - and it is usually printed on Tommy's CD covers), and will do anything to get the entertaining effect he imagines. And, he imagines a lot.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 02/13/2007 06:13:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  1:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
I saw Jake and Tommy last Friday at the Fairfield Center. A very inspiring evening of fine peformances. Tommy's guitars were on stage when we got inside and they looked like they'd been out in the weather for about six months. I thought to myself, Holy Smokes, those instruments look like they have been seriously abused.

It didn't take long to figure out why once Tommy took the stage. He slapped, banged and scratched all over his instruments all evening. It was quite impressive. He did some amazing Beatles covers and one highlight was when he and Jake played "Here There and Everywhere" together. It was awesome.

I have to thank Jake for getting us into the show. Tickets were sold out 3 months in advance so he put me and my wife on the guest list. He is such a humble and gracious human being. It was good to see and talk with him again.

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  1:46:41 PM  Show Profile
I'd still love to see Jake - - but he performs at 11:00 PM and that's just too late for this old person to be in a strange neighborhood far from home....
Maybe going to Fairfield is a better option.
thanks -
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  1:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
One of the numbers Tommy did was completely percussive, using his hands and fingers to slap, pound and drum on various parts of the instrument. It helps to have the reverb box with a touch of slap-back and the volume level high . I'm guessing that Tommy scores the wood grain on the side of the bridge to get a washboard effect. He uses what appears to be a nylon brush drumstick to slap the guitar and microphone. Quite an experience to watch but indicative of his impeccable sense of timing. The result was a mix of afro/latin/aussie/tahitian poly-rhythms that ended with the E major chord. Amazing that he doesn't hurt his hands.
Also amazing is the fact that he went straight into the next number without hesitation or retuning. Tommy and Jake doing Here There and Everywhere was the highlight of the evening. I went home very happy.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 02/13/2007 1:59:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  2:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe
All serious ukulele players should see Jake Shimabukuro live

Even frivolous `ukulele players ... or NON-ukesters should see him.
He's got two shows coming up next week here in Seattle (2/20 @ Triple Door), both sold-out (but some SRO tickets will be available that night.)
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  3:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Even frivolous `ukulele players ... or NON-ukesters should see him.

I should have said all music lovers. But especially uke enthusiest who have experience on the fretboard. Watching a performers hand position is more helpful then just listening. For instance. I struggled to play the tabs for Blackbird on the guitar until I watched Paul McCartney using my binoculars at a concert. He does not play it like the book and it is easier the way he does it. I learned to play Dragon, Touch, Guitar gently weeps, and others by watching Jake in live performances after struggling without visuals. I learned to play Sir Duke watching Ohta and Kawika in Santa Cruz, sitting just a few feet away. I went home and tabbed it out. I guess I can't go to a concert and just enjoy, I am always analizing technique to trying to incorporate it into my own stuff.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000