Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Puakea Nogelmeier
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  11:05:21 AM  Show Profile
Here is a very interesting article on Puakea Nogelmeier from the on-line magazine Hana Hou
http://www.hanahou.com/pages/magazine.asp?Action=DrawArticle&ArticleID=547&Page=1

Now, I am getting ready to go and learn from the De Silva `ohana.

A hui hou.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  1:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Great article,

Puakea is a friend of mine, and I can't think of anyone I know that is....more interesting to talk to, or listen to. “Akamai” doesn't begin to describe it. He has many gifts as a teacher, and if you’re lucky enough to get advice from him in any form, about anything...consider it carefully. It is usually some of the best advice you'll ever get.

Aloha,

Ray
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  2:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Fascinating story. I assumed he was ethnically Hawaiian, at least in part. It's great to be introduced to someone who adopted Hawaiian culture and excelled in it.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  09:11:44 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, mahalo for posting that link. I really admire Puakea's abilities and accomplishments. It's fun to read more about how he made his progress.

By the way, if any of you have Keali'i Reichel's CD Melelana, you can hear Puakea talking in a short video. It is a multi-media CD with a couple short videos of special haku mele telling about their mana'o of the song they wrote and that Keali'i performs on the CD.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  06:49:02 AM  Show Profile
Ray is so right-on about Puakea's mana`o -- he is a very special person, and a true blessing to Hawai`i. Not to mention that deep voice that _still_ makes me swoooooooooooon!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  01:28:44 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou
Noglemeires interview mentioned a two book publication called "Hi'iakapoliopele". Does anyone know where to find it?
Mahalo
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  10:55:14 AM  Show Profile
If interested in purchasing the book, here is a web site. This link is for the more affordable $40 version; the beautiful and collectible versions are at other links on the web site.

http://www.awaiaulu.org/trade.html " target="_blank"> http://www.awaiaulu.org/trade.html

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  1:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Somehow the URL you posted got clobbered. Here's the main page:
http://www.awaiaulu.org/
Click MORE ABOUT THIS BOOK -- the order forms will then be accessible.

Boxed Version
300 copies of the two-volume set are sewn and bound by hand by Gregor Campbell in fine goatskin leather and green moiré fabric. The two volumes, numbered and signed, are enclosed in a handcrafted clam-shell box of archival board and moiré fabric. Price per boxed set, $1,500

Slipcased Version
500 of the two-volume, numbered sets are bound in green moiré fabric and enclosed in a matching slipcase. Price per slipcased set, $300

Click TRADE VERSION to see the more reasonably priced edition's ordering form.

The trade versions of this wonderful book, a Hawaiian and an English volume, will be in bookstores in (Summer) 2007. Designed by Barbara Pope, each 7.5"x10" hardcover volume is over 500 pages in length, with gray-tone illustrations and extensive indices. Approximately $40 per volume.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  11:03:42 AM  Show Profile
I guess I have to wait for it to hit the book stores now but at least I know it is coming.
Now for a little rambling about my interest in the subject....

When I was about nine years old, my mother took us kids (7yr sis,12 yr bro and me) around the Haleakala crater. It was an overnight journey and the rangers were not keen on My mom taking us on the trip. But, my mother (Billie) is a confident and adventurous woman so off we went. She was always trying to teach us something and foster our curiousity. She knew the heavenly contellations fairly well and ponted out a few formations and thier names that night. During this trip we heard our first stories about Pele. We saw Silverswords, colored lava rock and heard animals stiring during the night--we slept in one of the cabins.
My memory is not fresh but it is a lasting one. At the time, we lived in Haleiwa, Oahu, and we went on this trip shortly after the passing of my Dad (Bill). Yes, Bill and Billie. They both called each other "Bill" and I remember being confused about that. She is still known as "Billie" to her friends but to her Island born Mo'opuna she is always "Tutu".
Anyway, she is visiting me next month and I hope the book is avialble then because I want to give her a copy. I want her to know that I remembered the trip and how she tried to teach us important things.

Thanks Wanda
Thanks Auntie Maria

Aloha
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  11:46:11 AM  Show Profile
Bob - that is a wonderful story. It will surely be a beloved present for your mother. Gives me chicken skin.

Mahalo for sharing that with us. Anything you remember fondly from your Ma is an imortant thing. Mama's try very hard.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000