Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Spam Musubi in Bakersfield
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  1:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Who'd 'a thunk it? Southbound on 99 from Nor Cal yesterday [played slack key at friend's memorial service] I thought to show my Hawaiian wife "The Streets of Bakersfield" [have played a little C & W too]. Downtown's still redolent of the past, a little desolate. BUT... we found a place for lunch in a strip mall called Honolulu Hawaiian BBQ. They have good food, including "fresh-made" Spam Musubi.

MentoBuggah
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  6:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Next you'll hear Buck Owens singing 'I get one tigah by da tail.'
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  07:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Quick delving into the topic of Spam musubi:

I really enjoy the style found at L&L/Zippy's/random North Shore gas stations - thick cut of Spam that is still slightly chewy. But my lady friend makes my favorite type - a thinner slice fried to absolute crispiness. It seems the later is most popular at family gatherings. Anyone care to voice alligence to either type?
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  09:01:46 AM  Show Profile
Crisp. Hands down. I first ate Spam as a tiny keiki in the late '40s, and I loved it. Mom fried it thin and crisp, although nobody in CT knew anything about the musubi part; it was simply the meat part of a normal "meat and 2 veg" meal. Somehow, the current version of Spam doesn't taste the same. It was spiceier then (of course "spiced ham" was the source of the name). I'll bet they changed the recipe at some point in the last 50 or 60 years.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  09:07:24 AM  Show Profile
I think a little thicker meat offsets the blandness of the rice and the taste of the ocean from the nori. And I cook mine with the shoyu and Maui sugar until it is very syrupy and glazes the meat just right. Yum. Now I am hungry again. Does everyone vinegar the rice? As an off-side, anyone know where I can get inamona or stuff from which to make my own? Hard for find kukui nuts on the shores of Lake Erie.

Alas, Uncle Buck Owens wen' make almos' one year ago.... he up deah wit` Tutu Jones, Stringbean, Roy Acuff, Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, Hank Williams, etc. Togeddah again...

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000