Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Danny Carvalho Concert Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  08:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
I had an opportunity to see Danny's concert last night at the Atherton Theatre. As always, the Atherton is a superb, intimate venue with excellent acoustics.

The beautiful sounds of Kihoalu filled the air all evening. Danny is a gifted musician. I spoke to him briefly before the concert and he was very nervous, but kept his composure when the concert started.

He played numerous cuts from his CD, including his rendition of Santana's Europa, his "Rainbow Medley" and an incredible slack key adaptation of Bridge Over Troubled Water.

He also played quite a bit of classic slack key, but added his own interpretation and flair. The highlight of the night was when he brought up Ozzie to jam with him, and it was incredible. The Atherton can only hold about 40 people but the applause after that was deafening.

Overall, I thought the performance was superb. Danny made very few errors....very few....and played with poise and much better dynamics than when I've heard him previously. He is so good that I feel that he is too tempted to fill all the "empty spaces" with notes. However, he is after all finding his way and will learn the beauty of not playing when the piece calls for it.

Great job, Danny!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  09:19:57 AM  Show Profile
His CD is great and, yes, he does need to learn the value of space between notes, but he is young.
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  7:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Am I the only one who is blown away by Danny's "Hawaiian Soul?"

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Interesting you guys should comment on "too many notes" (to quote from the King in the movie Amadeus, about Mozart :-) ) because that was my impression, too, after hearing the Prairie Home Companion broadcast this winter. Danny is stunningly accomplished, and has phenomenal potential, but I did feel sometimes, "too many notes," and that he could learn (and he will) to allow some space. That said, I don't know of another person his age so talented in slack key. I can only imagine the heaven of hearing him and Ozzie play together!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Sarah,

Yes it WAS heaven. I kind of "lucked in" to two tickets and my wife wasn't really interested, so I took a friend of mine who is just getting interested in slack key. Boy, what a first concert to go to! He was absolutely blown away.

After listening to Danny for a while, I thought, "Gosh, this guys so good I hope he doesn't show Ozzie up." (I knew Ozzie was going to go up on stage later)

Well, in true Ozzie form, when the two started to play together, Ozzie humbly took the back seat, happy to play chordal accompaniment while Danny went off. It sounded great. But just when I thought Ozzie was going to strum all night long, Danny took over that role and Oz started to improvise. Bruddah, was that something! He was so good even Danny and the bass player started to smile and laugh!

I was over at Ozzies house one time and Jeff Peterson was there. Jeff liked my guitar so I handed it to him and Ozzie and he just started jamming. Well, after a while, Oz just started playing this unbelievable stuff that had us both just laughing out loud. Im not sure why we laughed, but it was just so great I guess we couldnt cry!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  04:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Ah, Fingerpickin! What a special time you had! Thanks for the recap -- I wish I coulda been there! :-)

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000