Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Newbie Questions Here
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

molinee
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  9:33:54 PM  Show Profile
I am just getting started in Slack Key Guitar music and was wondering which of the following guitars would work best... in your opinion. Using a cedar top, rosewood sides Classical Guitar or a Seagull M6 Cedar top, mahagony sides steel string drednaught? Are nylon strings or steel strings more popular? Is one size guitar more popular (OM, 000, concert, etc)? Where can you go to find tablature for Slack? Thanks for taking time to help a newcomer!
-mo

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  05:22:13 AM  Show Profile
Click on the "Links" button above. Learning resources after that.

Guitar does not matter...listen to some artists (Led, Ray Kane, Ozzie,etc) and choose based on that.

mike

PS: listen to a lot of slackkey, often. Once it gets inside of your head, its a lot easier to learn!

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 07/15/2006 05:25:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  06:39:17 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Mike... The learning resources section of this site is excellent. And as for the type of guitar, it really comes down to what you prefer. I have both nylon and steel string guitars and use both for slack key. Although you can play slack key on either type of guitar, I have found that I have some songs that I prefer on one vs the other. In general, I prefer steel over nylon, but that's just my personal preference. I would recommend purchasing Ozzie's book to start. It is an excellent book to learn the techniques of slack key.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  08:31:09 AM  Show Profile
The Learn tab above lists most of the learning resources (books, tapes, DVDs, tabs). As RobO says, a good starting point would be Ozzie Kotani's book, Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style and Keoki Kahumoku's Introduction to Ki ho`alu DVD also teaches valuable playing skills.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

molinee
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  3:01:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey... Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and comments...Much appreciated! I will take your advice and glean as much past archived info as I can and will start out with Ozzie K. book to get my feet wet. I guess my only remaining question is "Is there any free tablature available for beginners like myself?"
-Thanks again for your help and I will do more listening and less typing ... :~)
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  4:24:30 PM  Show Profile
One unusual source is Black Mack's Tablature. Go to http://www.angelfire.com/music2/blackmack/ , it's in frames, click "Folk" in the menu on the left, then in the new window, search for "slack". If you don't have search built into your browser, it's near the bottom of the page.
* He Aloha No 'O Honolulu - Ledward Kaapana
* Ki Ho'alu - Ledward Kaapana
* Ku'u Ipo Onaona - Ledward Kaapana
* Mauna Loa Slack Key - Ledward Kaapana
* Radio Hula - Ledward Kaapana
* Salomila - Ledward Kaapana
* Silver Strings - Ledward Kaapana
* Whee Ha Swing - Ledward Kaapana
are in a zip file. I hope, haven't looked recently.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

molinee
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  01:00:00 AM  Show Profile
Pauline... I swear you are everywhere. You must have a plethora of knowledge in your musical head. Thanks so much for the great link. This should keep me busy for some time. I down-tuned one of my lesser classical guitars to open G so "Let the fun begin"... or "The Frustration... :~)
-mo
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  06:13:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh, one other thing. Andy (the admin guy) has created a number of links that lead to common places for purchasing music, books, etc. Please consider using these links as some of the proceeds are sent back to Andy for running the site. It costs you no more to do it that way and the TaroPatch community benefits when we use these links!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  4:33:06 PM  Show Profile
The "free" tablature mentioned previously of mainly Ledward Ka'apana is not for the new "slacker" or the feint of heart. You will find yourself frustreated quickly. For just starting out I would invest the $15-20 that it takes to get Ozzie's "green and yellow" book. The songs are easy and elegant and the instruction is top notch. To get an idea of where Ozzie can take you, listen to any of his songs from the "To Honor a Queen" CD and it will motivate you.

STick with taropatch G (or F) to begin with and make sure you know what the alternating bass is for and when to change patterns; what are the ins&outs (parallel 3rd/6ths) patterns for the meldoy strings; understand what a turnaround is and when to play one and more than one pattern; know what a hammer-on and pull-off is, what a slide is, and what a chime is -- and you will have the basics down. Ray Sowders wice extremely nice and produced some excellent videos on all of these. You should still be able to view them online.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  7:26:54 PM  Show Profile
I still do not understand the term "turn arround" and I think AKA "vamp". Surely, ths is a general music term, not slack only. Please if you can, point out a song that vest exemplies "turn arround" and/or vamp.

newbie, please start with your steel before the clasical. Well, me thinks so....

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  06:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha no e Moline'e,
Jus' when you tink you got everyting sorted-- I gotta put in a word. "Tab" is great... BUT, don't you know, it' got banned along with "Fresca". I would suggest to use it as a guide or reference point, but also learn by ear! Learn a song, and then improvise on it. Adapt some old favorite song into ki ho'alu. Learn to modulate between keys in a song, play melody and back-up and harmony. All that will really take you somewhere!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  07:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Tab is great for learning where to put the fingers and the ear is great for hearing the sounds and learning the tune. I've also had a very good time learning songs from a DVD without any other material, but I knew some basics from Ozzie's book. But don't overlook reading notation, since you can find songs and tunes you never heard before that can be rewarding. It's great when somebody passes out new music and the song becomes a favorite right away. Use all the tools that are available. As they say, "your mileage may vary".

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

molinee
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  07:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone for info and support.
-mo
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  2:07:16 PM  Show Profile
This is what I thought was the "gospel truth" on Hawaiian Turnarounds, or also know as, (aka) Vamps. They are very often played between the verse, chorus, and verse in a song, or, in a song without a chorus -- between verses. They were an interlude to let the hula dancers know that the next verse was about to start -- some say the point to turn around and start with the first dance movement.

I have been corrected by a kumu hula that there may not be a requirement to turn around to start the lead movement in each verse. Thus, conventional wisdom that the word "turnaround" came from hula may not be correct.

In any case, there is a very "Hawaiian" sound that is associated with the "turnaround/vamp". It may consist of the II7, V7, I chord progression, just the V7, I chord progression, or the parallel 3rds/6ths that are the same notes as in a II7, V7, I or V7, I chord progression.

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  2:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Uh oh -- just realized that V7 - I chord progression may not mean anything to some patchers.

Let me explain. In the key of G Major (a very good key for the G Major Taro Patch Tuning) the root chord or "first" chord (annotated as the roman numeral "I" Chord is . . . da da ... the G Major chord. In G Major taro patch tuning, this is all the strings played open with no fingers on the frets since the strings are all either G, B, or D -- the three notes of the G Major chord. The V7 chord is the fifth degree in the G Major scale (G-1, A-2, B-3, C-4, D-5, E-6, F#-7) and the dominant seventh chord -- in plain language, the D7 Chord. The four notes are the D, F#, A, C (all notes in the G major scale).

So, for the song, Ulupalakua in G Major, the turnaround is a D7 to G chord progression (repeated). This is also, arguably, the most common slack key turnaround/vamp.

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  2:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Aloha and welcome,
Where are you in Colorado? Try to find Gordon Burt in Denver, and perhaps another couple of folks - I forget exactly they are, but in little print at the top right is something called members. If you sort on State, you might find someone close by. And by all means when you travel and might have an extra hour or two, post and you might find someone jump out of the taro to visit.
n
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000