Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Willie K.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  02:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow! What a rennaisance man! I have only recently discovered the amazing talents of this man. Initially, I sort of poo-poo'ed listening to him because a lot of his music is categorized as "contemporary", and boy, if I am not anything, I am not contemporary in musical tastes at all. However, bit by bit, I have come to admire and enjoy his talents. First of all, we have a DVD entitled "Hawai`i Songs of Aloha". I originally bouth that because Cyril and Led were on there playing together. Willie did a wonderful song called "Ki Ho`alu Man", and he can do those Hi`ilawe vamps as good as any body and better than a lot of them. Many of his "contemporary" records have traditional songs in them. But when you hear him play "The Thrill is Gone", it takes him to a whole new category. Wow -- now I have recently discovered a song entitled "Spirits in the Wind". I first heard this on another DVD called "The Superstars of Hawaiian Music in the best of Na Mele IV". Boy, if that song doesn't blow you away, I don't know what will. The masterful instrumental interludes coupled with the powerful words of the song make this a piece worth paying great attention to. Whoever is playing lead guitar with him on this song is about as good of a guitar player as I have ever seen. He gets some amazing sounds out of an acoustic guitar. This cut is available from Auntie Maria on his "The Uncle in Me" CD.

I hope you are not like me -- being "snobbish" about listening to more "contemporary" Hawaiian music. If so, you will miss out on some pretty spectacular stuff. Mahalo, Willie K. for honoring the old and taking us into the new.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  03:51:23 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, we have a couple of Willie Kahaiali`i's CDs that are wonderful slack key - based collections. His singing is exceptional; almost operatic, and his unusual takes on old songs are very interesting. Of course, he *is* Uncle Manu Kahaiali`i's son and Uncle Manu surely passed on both genes and knowledge.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:35:25 AM  Show Profile
I meant to ask: is there a recording of "Ki Ho`alu Man"? Only place I can find it is on the DVD.

Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  05:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, I highly recommend Willie K.'s album "Awihilima". This is not a "contemporary" album, and his singing is outstanding (check out Noe Noe Ua Kea), as well as his new takes on some arrangements (e.g. Holoholo Ka'a and Meleana E).

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  05:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Willie is a great slack key player, often in standard tuning. But he plays a range of rock and pop music with his own style. I second the recommendation of "Awihilima", his only all Hawaiian solo album made up of songs he learned from his father. He shows off his kolohe style falsetto on several songs. He's also a native Hawaiian language speaker.
He has never stuck to one style or one repertoire throughout his career. He is now playing with Eric Gilliom, as the Barefoot Natives, and they do a mix of Hawaiian, folk and pop. His years spent playing with Amy Gilliom yielded some great albums with Amy's voice and Willie K's playing. You get a taste for their performance on their live album from a couple years ago.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile
The recording with Amy Gilliom are exceptional recordings. The lead guitar parts still amaze me, after hundreds of listenings. If I remember correctly it's John Cruz. (too lazy to look right now.)
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  10:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Willie K. is a tremendous guitarist in his own right - capable of playing different styles of music and able to pa`ani (solo) with the best of them!

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  11:11:43 AM  Show Profile
I've seen Willie 4 times in San Diego. At one gig (the Belly Up Tavern) he did a traditional Hawaiian set; took break and opened his second set with "Voodoo Chile" ala Stevie Ray Vaughan. The boy can play it all.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  3:25:02 PM  Show Profile
He is now one half of "Barefoot Natives" with Eric Gilliam (Amy's brother). Their album is terrific. I really like the Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u Medley they recorded.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  10:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Until I saw Willie perform live (at a bar in Waikiki), I must admit I dismissed his music -- too rock 'n roll, and not enough Hawaiian for me.

But that all changed from the first time I stood there and heard him sing a 3-song medley of falsetto-based Hawaiian songs...I've been an avid fan of this man for years now. Everything he does -- from Hawaiian to reggae to rock to <gasp!> opera, just slays me. When it comes to mastery of all forms of guitar, this man is without peer in Hawai`i...perhaps even farther afield than that???

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  09:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Seen him twice, and was twice blown away by his talent. He's opened for Willie NElson, BB King, and many other "big names". Saw him and Sean Na do a killer Steve Miller Space Cowboy......
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  12:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
As I stated in another topic, Willie K and Nathan Aweau, 2 of my favorite Hawaiian talents. Both highly accomplished musicians and vocalists...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000