Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Interface for Mac
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  12:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

I've read some of the past threads on topics related to this but couldn't find the answer so I thought I pose it again.

I'm just trying to record some of my slack key using my iMAC and Garageband and I'm wondering what is the least expensive, best quality interface to get. I found a recommendation for this mic, which seemed inexpensive and sufficient.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-CM88-Condenser-Microphone?sku=277048

But I wasn't sure about which interface might be recommended. (The USB interface recommended with this mic is no longer available).

I was also wondering if maybe a mic with USB connector might be the way to go.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Keone

Keone

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  12:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Least expensive and best quality don't always go hand in hand, but if you don't have a microphone lying around the house then a USB mic is probably the best way to go. Prices vary but the Samson C01U has received good reviews and can be found on the web for $70-80. You're going to pay at least two to three times that if you decide to go with an interface and a comparable mic.

The C01U is a hypercardiod condenser mic, which means that it's extremely directional. If you want a little more flexibility and can go up in price (to $120-130) take a look at the C03U, which can switch between cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-8 patterns. For stereo, Marshall recently announced the USB.007 which incorporates two gold elements in an X-Y pattern. It should sell for around $150-160 when it reaches stores.

With respect to standard condenser mics like the Nady, be careful...unless they have an internal battery (the Nady doesn't) they require 48V phantom power which must come from either a mixer or USB/Firewire interface (not all of which provide phantom power).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/28/2007 3:17:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  08:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

A USB mic is a great option for getting audio into your computer... but what about getting it back out? A USB/Firewire interface will have far better D/A converters than your iMac, and better sounding outs for your monitors as well.

Likewise an audio interface will (most likely) have better mic pres, better A/Ds, possibly phantom power -- all will let you use a variety of mics. Most also have line inputs; and many have dedicated hi Z ins for plugging in your guitar, bass, etc.

What about adding other parts? Garageband has some decent software instruments you can play with a keyboard. An interface may have MIDI in/out so you can plug in a keyboard. Some, like the Alesis Photon x24 and the Line6 Toneport KB37, are keyboards.

There are many audio interfaces available in the $200-300 range. I won't recommend one over the other - but I'd suggest you look at something with at least two mic pres (they can double as line ins), phantom power and, if you want to fool around with keyboard parts for bass lines or drums etc, MIDI. Bundled software is a plus, as are FX.

USB 1 is just too slow, so it has to be USB 2 (you didn't say which iMac you have, if it's relatively new it'll support USB2.) Firewire is arguably a better way to go.

One other thing - the Zoom H4 doubles as a USB2 audio interface. I used the internal mics, as well as the line ins, to record some stuff to Garageband as part of my review on O'Reilly Digital. http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/

While I wouldn't suggest its the best all-around option, it will get the job done and it costs about the same as a basic interface+ cheap mic. Plus you can use it to do field recording.

Food for thought...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  09:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I agree with everything Mark said, but Keone was asking for the least expensive option.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  4:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Thank you both for your input. I know that there is options so I'll have to look them over and decide how much $ I want to commmit. I am very new at recording so I wanted something that was entry level but of enough quality to make me want to pursue it more.

Keone
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  9:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Keone
A device called GUITAR PLUG has a fat converter of some sort that plugs into the guitar output jack and a USB connector at the other end to plug into the computer. I used it for several recordings and it sems to work great. Cost me about 40 bucks

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  05:46:44 AM  Show Profile
And beleive or not the "Guitar Plug" is available at most Target stores in their "music department" sold under private label for washburn I beleive.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  08:15:57 AM  Show Profile
I'll check out the guitar plug (especially at Target...one of my wife's favorite stores so it will give me something to look at). The only thing is that I wanted to record acoustic guitars without pickup, so I don't have any plugs.

But, as it turns out I tried Mark's suggestion. I have an 2006 iMAC with the Intel Core processor and it has a microphone built in so I gave Garageband a go using just that. The sound is okay (mono) but definitely sufficient to get familiar with Garageband. And I must say that I must get familiar with it! Although, I know it's supposed to be pretty intuitive, I just don't have any experience with that type of software so I'm pretty lost.

I may have to pick up a book or guide on using Garageband. Perhaps I'll even check out Mark's book on computer music. I'm certainly open to any suggestions for this newbie. Once, I'm more experienced with it, then I'll concentrate on sound as check out the Zoom, etc.

Keone
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  10:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Keone, yes, buy Mark's book, but also search the archives here (I forget the subforum). When I was even more of a beginner than I am now, Mark and Lawrence and Big Dog answered a lot of questions I had and corrected a lot of my erroneous assumptions. So, this place is a resource, too.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  1:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Just saw a review in the latest Acoustic Guitar mag about BLUE USB microphone. Sounds like a good possibility

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  2:07:07 PM  Show Profile
I use a TASCAM US-122 and love it. Line and XLR as well as MIDI in. If you already have a mic or two it's a great option. With two you can record stereo, but it's a single stereo track in GB. I have a Samson C01U, I like it for voice but not so much guitar. I got my US-122 for $200, I think the latest version of it is USB2.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Actually, the review was foe the BLUE SNOWBALL usb mic

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  2:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
RE: USB Microphones

The current issue of Electronic Musician magazine has a nice shootout comparing the current crop of USB mics. I haven't read it yet, but might be worth a look.

(I have a review of a Korg mini studio in the ish, too. So I guess I have a financial stake if you really stretch it...)

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  2:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi!

The guys who teach audio at my college have been recommending the Digidesign Mbox Mini as a good interface. You can use high or low impedance mics, and over dub with the Pro Tools LE app that scomes with it. If you Google it, you should be able to find it for around $295.

I'm all involved with the PC-based Adobe Audition 2.0, a mixer and an Echo sound card, but I'm thinking of switching.

Anybody tried the Mbox?

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  04:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Larry, why change?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page