Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 String "squeak"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  06:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
I'm likin' the notion that squeaks, buzzes, et al, act as proof positive there is a human being involved in making the music. In fact, that's the very reason I make so many of them. No, truly!
Now that this noisy can of worms has been opened (quiet those worms down!), I have been noticing all sorts of strange noises in my "other" guitar playing -- being brand new to slack key -- that I hadn't even noticed when mixing my own tracks down in the past. Now, of course, it's ALL I hear.
And a new one that's got me intrigued -- I'll call it the sitar effect. As a long-time flatpick and two fingers player, I never used my thumb before. Now I notice my thumbnail slightly touches a resonating bass string on the way to the next bass note and -- shades of Ravi Shankar! OK, not anywhere close to that master, but a rough approximation of the sound. Working on precision with that thumb of mine.
Reid -- for those of us new to the style and the Patch, I'm certain there are countless topical threads that have been spooled out over time, but I guess there's nothing quite like feeling a part of a conversation in process, as opposed to reading one that might be all buttoned up.
Peace,
Davey

Edited by - Davey on 03/12/2007 06:37:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  07:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Davey, I understand your feeling of community, and that is mostly why I continue posting. However, there are several folks who really have good opinions - and knowledge - about things that you may find worthwhile, who don't, or rarely, post anymore. They are probably lurking, but they are probably not gonna repeat themselves. On lots of subjects. They are part of the `ohana, too. And, if you go to a camp, or a local kanikapila (especially on the Left Coast), you will probably meet them, and have little or no idea about who they are, what they know, and what they can do. It's a shame to waste a lot of valuable insights and experience, and maybe, if you find something that they said that interests you, you might start a new conversation with one or more of them. I don't think you should think of archived threads as "buttoned up" - they are a helluva wonderful resource; not only conversation and opinion. In fact, some of the posts are absolutely essential for understanding a whole bunch of things, and I have many of them bookmarked. Try dipping in.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  08:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
On the topic of string squeeks, I strive for a happy medium. I do not want a computer generated song that is devoid of the real world. On the other hand, I do not want squeeks that distract the listener and take away from the song. When I play, I try to do my best to reduce string squeeks. Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. Trying to keep 'em to a minimum works best, I think.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:10:44 AM  Show Profile
If you listen to ZZ Top, you sometimes hear Billy Gibbons play riffs accompanied by a sound that's almost a harmonic. Asked about it in a magazine interview he stated that it happened by accident, and he had to work at it to figure out what caused it. He found he was touching the string with his thumb at the same tine he struck it with his flatpick. He decided he liked the effect as an occasional change of pace,so he practiced it. He explained how to do it: "You've got to graze that twine to make it whine!" You can hear it on 'La Grange', in the last solo. I guess if you learn to utilize mistakes they becom techniques. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 03/12/2007 11:11:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
When I started slack key, I got so worried about squeek that I sanded down my third string with very light sandpaper. That helped a lot, but one result was tht the string would go slightly out of tune unless I sanded it perfectly evenly down the whole length. Not worth the trouble, so I decided to live with it. I do not know why, but with more experience I do not squeek as much. (I may be doing something like what Sarah does, because it feels as though I am kinda rounding out the slide instead of going at it "straight".) It is funny how quickly you stop hearing the squeek both on listening to others and in your own playing. It is like looking though a dirty windshield. Texas Jim

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
Point very well taken on the resource angle, Reid. And you are always great about posting links to past threads, which is enormously helpful. You're absolutely right by the way -- wisdom and good advice are never "buttoned up." Just archived.
Mahalo,
Davey

Edited by - Davey on 03/12/2007 12:22:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  08:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
On the topic of string squeeks, I strive for a happy medium. I do not want a computer generated song that is devoid of the real world.

In the general MIDI spec (a way to standardize keyboard sounds), MIDI note number 121 is called "Guitar Fret Noise." Yep, a synthesized string squeak.

In the old days, before cheap memory and MP3 audio, you used Note 121 here and there to add realism to sequenced guitar parts.

How's that for trivia, gang?
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  08:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Yep -

I just finished taking my string squeak OUT of a Bossa Nova tune.

It was MIDI and I turned off the squeak channel sounding note 121!

So just remember not to sound note 121 when you play your slack-key slides and you will be home free!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  07:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Actually, that's GM patch # 121. Not note 121.

Yep. send program change #122 and no matter what note you play, it'll squeak.

MIDI note # 121 is several octaves above the highest key on yer piano -- up there where the notes make your fillings hurt.

I apologize for any harm caused by my error.

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  08:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Yes - Mark you are right...

Note 121 (if it existed) would be for calling your pet bat!

but total accuracy is not required if one is just being silly!!

Now if MIDI just had a De-Squeak channel you could play along with that would cancel your self-made squeaks.....

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000