Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Guitar NYC to HNL what would you do?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  5:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Anyone with thoughts on how to get my accoustic guitar to Hawaii without damage. Most airlines on the Californa end are asking me to buy a seat for it. The airlines that are not doing that are selling pretting expensive seats so they don't need to ask.

Is there a way to ship this on a barge or something where I don't have to worry about cargo hold pressure?

Thanks

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  7:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
This question has been asked a lot (including a couple of years ago by me). Check out strings related to Aloha Music Camp. Or the AMC website itself. Pretty much everybody going there, or to any of the camps in the islands, has to deal with the same situation

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

Edited by - JeffC on 03/12/2007 7:06:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  02:58:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi there NYC. I have a travel guitar case that I bought from Bruce Lamb at www.caseextreme.com that really protects the guitar in the airplane hold. The case is called The Clam and you put your guitar in its original hard case inside the Clam. My guitar has traveled in it to Seattle and it works really well and only costs about $200. I will be sending my guitar to Honolulu in the Clam this June when I go to the Aloha Music Camp. Any time you want to stop by my apartment, I can show it to you!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  04:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi G-

I haven't travelled with a guitar since 2002/3. At that time, I had my guitar in a Calton Case and carried it to the gate. Sometimes, I carried it right on board and other times I gate checked it. The newer planes seem to have very small overhead storage so I don't think the case fits anymore. The pros usually check it all the way through.

There are no guarantees but you can calm your mind by:
  • having a good hard shell case
  • packing your guitar properly (protect the headstock/neck)
  • Being nice to the airline crew and saying a prayer or two
The other option is to pack it properly and ship it overnight or 2-day air. That has got to be cheaper than buying a seat.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  04:49:50 AM  Show Profile
I just travelled in November from LAX to SeaTac and carried it on with a soft case. It has fit in all the overhead compartments included Hawaiian and Aloha inter-island planes. I've heard horror stories, but my guitar store owner always carries his in a soft case too, including several times a year to Hawai'i. Please note that while my guitar is unique, it is not expensive.
n
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  4:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jeff, thanks will look at AMC website.

Hi Claudia, I remember you mentioning the clam, my guitar was $200 so I was hoping to escape that cost. Thanks though.

Hi Andy, prayer part is funny. ...thanks for the packing info and the reminder to be nice :), need that when I am stressed. So surprising there is not a simpler answer for shipping. I want to ship and forget about it but that does not seem right either.

Hi Pua, Think they they don't ask you to put in cargo hold because its in a soft case? Not sure I am brave enough for that risk but thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  5:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I love the "how to carry" your case photos here. Funny but I think it's true.

Lots of good stuff in the archives. Here is one of them: GUITARS ON AIRPLANES by Mark Hanson.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  5:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ginny,
Not trying to convince you, but a couple years ago, lots of guitars in cases didn't make it to Moloka'i for AMC. The defining factor for the gate folks is if it's in a soft case, it goes inside, hard cases get checked. 2 other factors: on teeny planes where they put everything but your little purse (that means big purses, backpacks etc) go underneath, but then you're there watching as they put them in, and watching/helping them unload - - only place I've been on that little of a commercial airline was going down the Keys. And the other factor.... gotta admit, I'm a diver and I have a huge dive bag to check which carries all my peripherals like guitar stand, music stand, notebooks, song books..... etc.
Yup, I think Andy has it right - lots of prayers... also, if you have guitar and ukulele, the guitar gets over-ruled by the flea, er pip-squeek.... er... the ukulele.
But I won't pay for your guitar if it gets scrunched along the way... mines not a beater, but it's certainly not any of those I covet like a Taylor or a Martin or a Grimes, or a Dennis Lake, or a Rainsong, or a Seagul............
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  5:34:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Andy!
That's a great little piece! Yes, he's right... I carry mine like a backpack - doesn't even show except going through security and they don't care. The first person who might notice and care is the flight attendant and you're looking for an empty overhead bin. By then, they're under so much pressure to push away from the gate that they'll find a place in the first class coat closet. And as Dad always says, "it's much easier to get forgiven than to get permission" so Don't ask if it's OK!!!
And one itty bitty additional piece to add to the link: this comes straight out of the '60s and poor college students: If you have a string that buzzes, take it loose, then add a wee bit of kleenex where it goes across that bridge (what's it called?) at the end where the screws are... er tuners...
Have fun!!
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Where are the photos that people were talking about on the mark Hanson link?...good thread thanks.

Thanks every one I think I am going to ask in some music stores, see if they have a shipping service. I am going to have a ton of luggage so not sure I want to carry. Only to Honolulu though so I don't have to worry about those smaller planes.

Wow, did anyone read that story Lawrence wrote on the hanson thread. Makes me want to write a letter to American. I had read they let you take your guitar on board UGH!!!. Thinking maybe mailboxes ect now....just no styrofoam peas.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  3:30:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
The defining factor for the gate folks is if it's in a soft case, it goes inside,
Only if they are having a good day and they feel like it. There are absolutely NO guarantees of getting a Guitar on a plane, even in a soft case. Federal Law gives the flight crew absolute authority on an instance by instance basis to determine what they think is "safe" to carry on board. My smaller than average guitar in a soft case has been refused boarding more than once, and got gate checked twice and broken one of those times (and broken several other times too, as I posted some time ago).

And that supposed memo regarding TSA and the musician's union is bogus. If it were true then the flight crew could NOT REFUSE to allow someone with a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand or a set of Tympani or a 8 foot Marimba onboard (not to mention many other large orchestral instruments)!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/15/2007 3:31:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  06:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi folks!

These days I alsways put the instruments in the hold. I've got a Calton case for my mandolin (they make them here in England, and Mr Calton Senior, who I spoke to when I ordered it was very charming). This was on my back when I crashed my motorcycle. I broke my collarbone, but the mandolin wasn't even knocked out of tune. This is a very solid case. However, when you scale them up to guitar size, well they're a bit heavy for carrying about.

For the guitar I've got a Hiscox Liteflite. This is also very strong, but not anywhere near as heavy as the Calton. Just about everyone in my neck of the woods who has got an expensive guitar (and they are more expensive here than in the US!) uses one of these. The downside to this, obviously, is that all guitars in their cases look just the same, so you've got to put some stickers or something on it. I don't know whether you have them in the US, but here's a link for info anyway:

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/main.htm

I have never had any damage done to my instruments when they were sent in the hold. In fact, last February when I went to the Aloha Music Camp, even though we'd come half way round the world, the instruments were fine. Our suitcase, however was damaged beyond use, and we had to buy some more luggage in Lahaina. But that's another story.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  07:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

The defining factor for the gate folks is if it's in a soft case, it goes inside, hard cases get checked.
I think this is true for some of the interisland flights. Although I took a tiny plane from Ka`anapali, Maui to Molokai and there were NO carry-ons. No space. To their credit, the staff was super nice and even put fragile stickers all over my guitar case. It seems much more common for people to take a heavily padded gig bag on interisland flights.

For the big jets, I think it depends on the capacity of the flight and also the flight attendants that you deal with. Unfortunately, two things that are beyond our control. I have been on big planes where people were forced to gate check their gig bags. That is always a very dangerous thing. Here is a tale with a bad ending.

quote:
1-28-2006
AMERICA WEST DELIVERS TOOTHPICKS TO FOLK SINGING TERRORIST!

You've probably all read about my horrible experience with Delta Airlines last summer and their policy of not gate checking guitars. Other luggage is okay. Tubas are apparently okay. Banjos are okay. Ukeleles are fine too but guitars are specifically listed as not okay to gate check. Well my friend Jon Pousette-Dart was on an America West flight recently. He checked in one guitar and carried another on board in a soft gig bag. Before the plane left an America West employee boarded the plane and told Jon that the guitar would have to go underneath or Jon would have to get off the plane. Jon asked what the problem was and the guy told him that terrorists could use the guitar strings as weapons! The guy was not exactly nice about the situation when Jon tried to plead with him... "The instrument is expensive, it could get damaged down below, please - isn't there something we can do?" The answer was simple "The guitar goes underneath or you get off the plane." With no other options, Jon gave them the guitar. When he got off the plane they handed him a soft gig bag with very expensive toothpicks. They absolutely ruined his guitar! It is beyond repair.

I believe the airlines have gone too far with this. How is the working musician supposed to get from one place to another? If airline employees are having a bad day they can become bullies and if we stand up and ask questions we are terrorists. What interesting times we live in.

I borrowed this from www.petehuttlinger.com/news.cfm where among other things, you can read Pete's adventures of travelling with his intruments.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  11:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Andy, to follow up on your story: I flew Alaska Airlines from DC (National)to LAX last Sunday. It was Alaska's first flight of the day to L.A. A few minutes before the boarding began a 20ish guy came running up with his guitar in a soft case. I was too far away to actually hear the conversation but he obviously was pleading with the lady at the gate to carry it on. No luck. He boarded after I did, slouching his way to his seat in the middle of the plane with a very unhappy expression on his face. After we landed at one of the world's worst airports and were caught with another full flight at Alaska's single carousel I saw him again. He was arm and arm with a lovely lady who was carrying his gig bag. (He had his hands full of her.) I trust his guitar was o.k. but he didn't seemed too upset at the world. Sometimes things just work out.
But not always, of course.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  7:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget humidiy. Hawaii has high humidity so prepare your guitar accordingly. It can get humidity shock.

Reid is one real smaht guy, so I going copy him in saying: Search this site's archives for humidity, travel cases etc etc.

I learned a lot about humidity, cases, and travel guitars from searching this site.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/16/2007 7:51:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Lamb
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  10:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruce Lamb's Homepage
Thanks Claudia, the correct link is www.casextreme.com I used to have it so it would work with the two ee's like you spelled it i'll have to get it to work again.
You can always try a Google or Yahoo searh as guitar flight, case and we shold come up pretty close to the top of the list.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000