Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Any music arrangers out there?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  11:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha!

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, and we decided it would be neat if we came up with a choral arrangement of "The Toad Song," published it,
and shared it with our choirs to sing in concert. Think about it: how many choirs on the mainland have sung songs in Hawaiian? I was wondering if there
was anyone out there who could help us with the arrangement or writing it down as sheet music. Please reply to this or email me. Mahalo nui loa!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  01:43:22 AM  Show Profile
Sarah is the only person I know, besides Keali`i, who sings and performs the Toad Song. I don't think she has time to do any choral arranging though. Besides, do you really think a bunch of people could sing that tongue twister simultaneously so the words would be clear? I think it would be seriously hard. And messing with the Hawaiian language, by a lot of people who don't know how to pronounce it properly - including phrasing and breathing in the right places, is a bad idea. In addition, what about the legal issues with Puakea and Keali`i? Think about it.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  12:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Sarah is the only person I know, besides Keali`i, who sings and performs the Toad Song. I don't think she has time to do any choral arranging though. Besides, do you really think a bunch of people could sing that tongue twister simultaneously so the words would be clear? I think it would be seriously hard. And messing with the Hawaiian language, by a lot of people who don't know how to pronounce it properly - including phrasing and breathing in the right places, is a bad idea. In addition, what about the legal issues with Puakea and Keali`i? Think about it.

...Reid

In response to your issues and concerns:
1. I was thinking that the verses could be sung by a soloist, not the whole choir. The other choral parts could do an "oo" part as background. And, if more than one person could really do the verses well, then we could possibly have one soloist for each verse.
2. If by some chance this was in fact made into a choral piece, I could coach a few local choirs on the Hawaiian.
3. I have emailed Puna to ask him for permission before I even start discussing ideas with people. Still waiting for a response.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  02:51:08 AM  Show Profile
That sounds doable. The idea of sharing the difficult wording between soloists is very good, especially if the quality and range of the voices is different.

A suggestion: it should be possible to treat the verses as a kind of call and response. After all, it is about finding a companion or lover. So, it would be interesting, I think, to have two people, or maybe pairs of people, sing alternate verses. In addition, to give the chorus more to do, they could sing the hoom-mama, hoom-baby, froggy kind of thing, sotto voce behind the soloists and then come up louder, as the recorded song does, between verses. That would provide a rhythmic background, as well as reinforce the notion that this was taking place in a frog/toad pond.

But, it is your idea, so arrange it as you wish.

Do you plan to have them sing the English version, too?

Also, tell us how it goes with your contact with Puakea. It would be interesting to all of us to know how he reacts.

Oh, I just noticed that you wrote "Puna". Is that a slip, or did you email a different person?

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  12:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Maybe you could somehow incorporate the Balinese vocal chant technique known as 'kecak' - meant to imitate the sound of a chorus of frogs/toads.

Or...maybe not. (But if you've never heard it, check it out anyway.)
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  1:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Maybe you could somehow incorporate the Balinese vocal chant technique known as 'kecak'

Yeah, but do it hocket style, like the folks in the Ituri Forest...

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461563850_761561261_-1_1/Traditional_Pygmy_Music_of_the_Congo.html

Mosh it up!
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  1:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

That sounds doable. The idea of sharing the difficult wording between soloists is very good, especially if the quality and range of the voices is different.

A suggestion: it should be possible to treat the verses as a kind of call and response. After all, it is about finding a companion or lover. So, it would be interesting, I think, to have two people, or maybe pairs of people, sing alternate verses. In addition, to give the chorus more to do, they could sing the hoom-mama, hoom-baby, froggy kind of thing, sotto voce behind the soloists and then come up louder, as the recorded song does, between verses. That would provide a rhythmic background, as well as reinforce the notion that this was taking place in a frog/toad pond.

But, it is your idea, so arrange it as you wish.

Do you plan to have them sing the English version, too?

Also, tell us how it goes with your contact with Puakea. It would be interesting to all of us to know how he reacts.

Oh, I just noticed that you wrote "Puna". Is that a slip, or did you email a different person?

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

...Reid

Yes, yes. I forgot to mention that. The basses would do the first one, and then the other parts would join them on the second one. You know what I'm saying?
I hate to ask you this, but I forget what sotto voce means. Could you please tell me? Mahalo.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  1:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
E kala mai, I forgot to answer your last two questions. Here goes:
1. I didn't know there was an English version.
2. Puna is Fred Krauss. I don't know Puakea's contact info. If you do and you think I should email him too, then please email me yourself. Mahalo nui loa.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  11:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

quote:
Maybe you could somehow incorporate the Balinese vocal chant technique known as 'kecak'

Yeah, but do it hocket style, like the folks in the Ituri Forest...

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461563850_761561261_-1_1/Traditional_Pygmy_Music_of_the_Congo.html

Mosh it up!

I just listened to that chant. That's not Hawaiian, is it?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  11:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I can arrange and transcribe your music. Email me hikabe @ aol.com

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  12:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

I can arrange and transcribe your music. Email me hikabe @ aol.com

Mahalo. I'm still waiting to hear back from Puna. I'll definitely let you all know when I do.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000