Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Kokua needed for my mele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  09:23:14 AM  Show Profile
I have been working for some time on writing a mele to honor the `Ohana Pahinui. This is what I have come up with. For those of you with language skills, can you please critique this for me and provide constructive criticism. I am not thin skinned and I will not be offended when you tell me I have done an injustice to the `olelo. The bottom line is that I have tried to pay honor to the Pahinui family and talk about the magic they weave with their music. I am trying to talk about many voices as opposed to big voices.

Mahalo.
Wanda

Nui Leo o Waimanalo
By Wanda Certo

Hanohano `Ohana Pahinui
Nui leo o Waimanalo

Himeni nani a me kiho`alu
Luna mai `ole na mele nani

O `oukou ka makani Polinahe
I lawe mai i ku`u poli

Kupoki o lakou hana mana
Ho`okalakupua me lakou leo

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
O maua `Ohana aloha

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  11:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
wanda,

i'll leave this to da experts, but i'm a professor, so like to expound :D

i think youd' say "nui ka leo" .... but then again, songs are different.

i like how you link across the lines in the first two verses.

it would be fun to work in the meaning of "pahinui" = "big knife".

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 04/04/2007 11:34:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  12:01:32 PM  Show Profile
"Eh wassssup!!! Keith?!!!!!! "Aloha Wanda, Sarah and Reid, could be a really great help to you. Not only do they play some really wonderful Slack Key, Sarah also speaks the language." How'zit Sarah and Reid! Really miss all you! "Especially you Keith"! Love you guys!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  12:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
bill !!!!! we're doing well, how about you? we were just talking about you. it's been forever since we've see you. we'll be around in june before keola's camp - it would be so great to see you. susie promises to make those chocolate chip banana cookies.

aloha! keith

Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  09:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Something I would say is that you might consider having each verse consist of 4 lines instead of 2, but then again, I don't know what the tune you've come up with is. Could you somehow record a demo of you singing it and send it to us as a file? That would be fantastic! Mahalo!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  3:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha mai e Wanda, I just sent you a leka uila with my interpretation of it written out for you. Please note that some of the translations were done based on what came out of online dictionaries. Hope it helps. Mahalo nui loa!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  11:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Here is rev. A. of the mele. Any critiques/comments? The numbers at the end of the stanzas are the number of syllables. I tried to keep it pretty even, and the ones that aren't exact, I figures when a tune is set to it, that we could hold notes for a couple of beats or something. Those of you with language skills, perhaps you can tell me if it makes any sense.

Mahalo

Nui na Leo o Waimanalo
By Wanda Certo

Hanohano ka `Ohana Pahinui 12
Nui na leo o Waimanalo 9

Ho`olono na himeni nani 10
a me kiho`alu nahenahe10

Ua alu like mai mahele 10
na mele i ho`opakele 9

Na mele no na nui manu 9
Nu`a kanaka aloha ‘oukou 10

Ha`ina `ia mai ka puana 10
O ka maua `ohana aloha 10

Ha`ina `ia mai ka puana 10
Panepo`o kou `ohana 8

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  1:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Sing it to us, please! Haha!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  1:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Wanda! I wish you can sing it for us! The words are awesome! Take care!

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000