Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 No bananas on a fishing boat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  11:45:51 AM  Show Profile
I know...this has absolutely nothing to do with slack key or Hawaiian music...but...
What is up with this story I have heard that no bananas are allowed on fishing charters? Why? Is it supposed to be mal occhio? (Italian for "evil eye" or bad luck.) I never heard of this before. First time I ever went deep sea fishing was at Nawiliwili. No bananas on board that I knew of, but both Paul and I puked our guts out, even with Dramamine and Sea Bands.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  12:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Wanda, I absolutely love to dive, but I get terribly sick too. I take Bonine, one many hours before the boat leaves, then one every 12 hours thereafter. I still got sick on a small dive boat in Baja as a hurricane was coming in, but I didn't feel so bad - same out on Moloka'i with all the wind and waves. By the way, that's double the recommended dosage and I sleep soundly on the way out to the dive site and after diving. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to both apples and oranges, but some old Hawaiian folks gave me oranges when we stopped way out by the pineapple fields on Maui for my carsick kid. They said just suck on oranges. On dive boats, I used to eat an apple between dives. And also, another old remedy for sick stomach is coke syrup, still available from the druggist. They all have sugar in common. That doesn't answer your banana question, but maybe your tummy will feel better... but one guess is that the smell of both eggs and bananas can make an already sensitive stomach really queesy. Good luck!
n

Edited by - Pua Kai on 03/17/2007 12:56:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  1:23:58 PM  Show Profile
I stay online while I watch March madness. So I posting more than usual.

Wanda,

In Hawaii, got plenty kine superstition. Okay, to me, some not superstition but for real since I grew up with it. Not all locals respect it. Get anykine people.

Fishing (you get bad luck if):
1) take banana (well known)
2) take pork (well known) plenty obake stories about pork over da pali on Oahu.
Other:
3) No shishi (take a leak) any kine place. Might be one Hawaiian burial. Take a leak in da ocean. Can even get physical effect.
4) Catch first fish, gotta throw em back for offering other wise -- bad luck.
5) Somebody calling, nobody there, you make sure you no answer back.

probably lots more... don't know some origins though, some other anthropologist scholars could tell you more. dey say da spirits are attracted to banana and pork.

I just accepted and respect certain things, having grown up with it.

My brother in law is adamant about da pork thing. But, so funny, he take spam-musubi for bento while fishing.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/17/2007 1:30:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  07:27:07 AM  Show Profile

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/yachting/seamanship/article/0,24579,1593795,00.html
quote:

Sailors from antiquity to now have always been considered a superstitious bunch. And why wouldn’t they be, spending half their lives at Poseidon’s mercy. They have had to find ways to survive each voyage at sea, which is why they’d rather cross paths with a soldier than a woman, before sailing.

Lighting a candle and bringing a banana on board are superstitions with practical explanations, such as bananas tripping people on board. Other explanations include bananas giving crew members the runs – time wasted that could have been spent fishing, and crates of bananas bringing “vermin, snakes and other such critters” on board. The no bananas on board rule is adhered to closely in Hawaii, and in Florida some charters, such as the aptly named No Bananas Fishing Charters, will have nothing to do with bananas, not even banana sunscreen.
As a Navy Captain, I can tell you I have had bananas at sea without ill effect. But then again, I wasn't fishing either.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000