Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Polynesians - Hapa Haole Band
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
My all time favorite hapa haole band is an outfit from the 60s called "The Polynesians." Great harmonies, innovative arrangements and some of the swingingest music you've ever heard. Wait until you hear their amazing rendition of "Lullaby of Birdland" -- sung in Tahitian! "Kou Kino Mambo" is another standout fusoid masterpiece. They can also sing nahenahe with the best of them -- their version of "My Yellow Ginger Lei" is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

I've had 2 of their impossible-to-find LPs for years. Just now I learned that you can find tons of their music online.

If you have iTunes, go to the iTunes store do a seach on "The Polynesians" to find four albums and dozens of individual songs.

Yottamusic, a cool alt-music subset of Rhapsody, has all 11 of their LPs available to listen to or purchase. Hokey Smokes!

http://www.yottamusic.com/albums/The-Polynesians/Polynesia/

I'm not affiliated with either site, just sharing some wonderful music. Take a minute to listen to some samples, and see if you agree.

Mahalo to David G. -- a former Wedge rat -- for the tip.

cheers,

Mark

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  09:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Pretty swell stuff. I like the old kine. For other hapa-haole stuff, I like Andy Cummings doing: Waikiki...it is really nice; and especially, Hanohano Kaua`i"...oh, and don't forget "Get Hep to Swing". Its the one with Gabby.

Thanks for sharing this, Mark.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
Back at ya, Mark -- but I now have mixed feelings about having been introduced to the wonders of The Polynesians. First off, I have been spending all my listening hours soaking up their tunes and way too much Web time trying to find anything on their history. Still drawing blanks when I ask all my old-timer music friends if they've heard of them.
The Yottamusic site is a blast. Discovered that they must copy the original LPS (without pops and clicks) into digital domain, but a couple tunes actually skip ... must not have put a quarter on the stylus when they transferred the tune.
Peace,
Davey
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
Finally found some historical notes on The Polynesians at www.tikiroom.com
Here you go:

More than you ever wanted to know about "The Polynesians."

I have a few of the earlier Polynesians releases on Crown, when they were still doing liner notes on back, so I'll relate what it says about the group members:

HARRY BATY-group leader, of Hawaiian/English ancestry. His film experience includes work with Elanor Powell & Sonja Henie.

SAM KAAPUNI-arranger/guitarist, Hawaiian ancestry. Was a member of Harry Owens Orchestra and has backed up Alfred Apaka, Andrews Sister, Helen O'Connell & Dorothy Lamour.

LANI SANG-steel guitarist, Hawaiian ancestry. Toured with Ray Kinney's Hawaiian Serenaders. (Seems to have left the Polynesians quickly...)

BOB NICHOLS (arriving after Lani Sang's departure), steel guitar. (no other info provided).

Guest artist: SAM KOKI -Considered one of the foremost proponents of "modern Hawaiian music." Joined one of the moajor networks in Hollywood, and did film work with Bing Crosby, Tony Martin, and others. For the past 15 years, Sam has had his orchestra at the "Seven Seas" in Hollywwod. (Later, he also did several recordings with his own group, and in addition under a pseudonym..William Kealoha...on Kapp records).

Member or featured artist: (depending on the LP) BERNIE KAAI LEWIS, steel guitar/vocals. Born near Hilo, graduated from UCLA, back up musician and arranger for countless recordings. {He did a solo LP in the late 60s or 70s on Kolopa records of Encino...sounds a lot like the Polynesians...AND was with a group called "The Island-Aires" who performed at "The Polynesian" in Walteria, CA and THEY did a lovely LP called "Hawaiian Interlude which REALLY REALLY sounds like the Polynesians..Lewis must have done a lot of the arranging.)

Interestingly, if you speak to people in Hawaii, even those into pre-statehood era music, they've NEVER heard of "The Polynesians". Apparently they never performed in Hawaii as a group, and I guess with their material being release on budget Crown labels, they were never exposed properly. I do recall seeing them in a few Hollywood Hawaiian-type films as players at a luau or whatever. In the 80's, when I used to DJ/program direct at a Hawaiian music station, I brought in some of my own Polynesians LPs and carted some songs up and put them into circulation on the air. One week when we have "celebrity" guest DJs in, the late Israel Kamakawiwo'ole commented that he wanted to play "That great version of "Yellow Ginger Lei" I've been hearing by some group I don't know..The Polynesians...who are those guys?" I thought that was interesting and proved to me how great they were and how sad, to me, that they are so unknown in Hawaii.
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  5:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow Mark that post brought back some memories. I was dating this wahine back in 1973, we were both freshman in high school. I would stop by her Hula Halau after school to watch her dance and one of the songs they danced to was kou kino mambo by the Polynesians. Made such an impression on me .... I've now been married to her going on 27 years

I know we have a couple of their LP's out in the garage somewhere, gota dig em out

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000