Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Makaha Sons Newsletter
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  12:51:08 PM  Show Profile
Here is latest Makaha Sons newsletter:
Their Web site: www.makahasons.com
Aloha friends!

We hope that this newsletter finds all of you in good health. There have been a number of things happening and we wanted to be sure to let you all know what’s been going on.

The Makaha Sons’ Anniversary

Moon, John and Jerome want to thank all of you for your kind wishes and emails that were sent in response to our newsletter heralding the Sons’ 31st Anniversary. You are the reason the Makaha Sons continue to travel around the world and perform the music of Hawai‘i…thank you for always supporting Hawaiian music and the Makaha Sons!

Hawaii Music Awards

The Makaha Sons are honored that you, the voting public, have voted “Makaha Sons – Live At The Hawaii Theatre” as the Best DVD of the Year for the 2007 Hawaii Music Awards. The Sons are also honored to have been named the recipients of the 2007 Legacy Award for Musical Group. Once again, mahalo to all of you who have given these prestigious awards to the Sons and a special mahalo to Johnny Kai and The Hawai‘i Music Foundation for your support of the Makaha Sons and the music and musicians of Hawai‘i.

Jerry Koko at The 89th Annual Kamehameha Schools Song Contest

The Makaha Sons are very proud to congratulate Jerry Koko on a job well done at this year’s Kamehameha Schools Song Contest. Jerry is a Junior at Kamehameha Schools and the son of No‘eau and John Koko. He showed his “entertainer’s” lineage with a speech that was filled with enthusiasm and humor. Maika‘i, Jerry, you’ve made everyone in the Makaha Sons’ family very proud!

Hawaii Theatre’s “New Traditionalists” Concert

The Makaha Sons are honored to have been asked by the Hawaii Theatre to perform as part of this year’s “New Traditionalists” Concert on April 27, 2007. The Sons have worked to help up-and-coming artists realize their full potential by providing them with the tools needed to start and maintain a career in Hawaiian music. Past success stories for the Makaha Sons’ organization include Raiatea Helm and Natalie Kamauu. This year, the Makaha Sons welcome Na Kama, Barry Kimokeo, Hoku Zuttermeister, and a few other special guests to the stage for an evening of musical memories and beautiful hula.

Na Kama

In 2005, Brian Mersberg and Eric Lee added Danny Naipo and Na Kama became a trio. In 2006, they released their most recent album, titled “Kamakolu”, to both critical and commercial success. Na Kama is continuing to balance their musical career with their professional ones and have struck a chord with many fans who eagerly seek out their performances.

Barry Kimokeo

Barry has been touring with the Makaha Sons for 2 years now and is currently in the studio working on an album that will be out later this year. He continues to appear Monday evenings at Chai’s Island Bistro with Hawaiian music legend, Jerry Santos. In 2006, Barry was featured in the Makaha Sons’ DVD release, “Live At The Hawaii Theatre” performing “Riders In The Sky”.

Hoku Zuttermeister

Hoku Zuttermeister enters 2007 with the exuberance that comes from completing his first solo CD, “‘Aina Kupuna”. Hoku will be touring with the Makaha Sons throughout 2007 and was also featured in the Makaha Sons’ first DVD. In January, Hoku traveled to Whittier College to participate in the recording of the Makaha Sons’ second DVD that will be released this November.

Tickets are available for the Sons’ concert at the Hawaii Theatre through the theatre’s website at www.hawaiitheatre.com. The curtain of the beautiful Hawaii Theatre rises at 8pm, so get your tickets early and join us in this New Tradition!

The 5th Annual Take A Walk In The Country Concert

The Sons are working very hard at planning this year’s Take A Walk In The Country. This year’s concert will be held at the Waikiki Shell on June 16, 2007; we will be releasing more information as concert plans get finalized. Tickets will go on sale on Friday, May 5 and will be available through the Blaisdell Box Office at www.blaisdellcenter.com.

Photo Galleries posted

We’ve been working to get some new photo galleries up for all of you to see what’s been happening with the Sons for the past couple of months. The following galleries have recently been posted:

San Diego – Ruth Edens sent some pictures of the Sons’ visit to San Diego for their annual Christmas Concert.
E Luana Kakou – Bobby Akoi shares some pictures of the Sons’ 2007 appearance in E Luana Kakaou at the Polynesian Cultural Center.
Whittier College – Check out the galleries of the Sons’ appearance at Whittier College where their latest DVD was recorded. Thank you to Sharon Herzberger, David Palmer, Ron Maurer, Jarmil Maupin and the entire staff and management of the Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts for all of their help in recording the footage that will be released on the DVD. Thank you also to Linda Wilkes, Jim & Ruth Edens and Lew & Becky Avera for taking such good care of the Makaha Sons and their crew…hey, let’s go check out Norms Restaurant again!
King Windward Nissan’s Anniversary Celebration – Thank you Aunty Liz and Uncle Ron Hansen, Guy Mello and ALL of the staff and management of King Windward Nissan for a wonderful afternoon of music and good food!
February 2007 Cribbage Tournament – Yes, they’re at it again! The Makaha Sons gathered at Myrna Young’s home for the February 2007 Cribbage Tournament. We’ll reveal the winners when John Koko and Reynold Tamayei write their accounts of the evening’s games.
Palace Theatre, Hilo – Sharlene gives us all a glimpse of the Sons’ performance with guest Barry Kimokeo at the Palace Theatre in February.

Makaha Sons’ Calendar

We had to take the Makaha Sons’ Calendar down for a couple of days recently to do some maintenance, but everything is working fine again. There are many updates to the calendar and you can now subscribe to the calendar’s RSS feed to be informed of changes made to the calendar. Please remember that some dates are tentative, so not all of the information for some performances will be available. Included in the recent update are scheduled dates for Houston, Chicago, Boston, New Hampshire and Maryland. The Sons are working hard to secure these dates and we will release information as soon as it becomes available.

Updated information: a poster and flyer have been posted to the calendar for the Sons’ Florida appearance on July 28, 2007. Mahalo to Marina Butler for sending them to us!

Hoku Zuttermeister’s CD, ‘Aina Kupuna
The Makaha Sons are proud to announce that Hoku Zuttermeister’s highly-anticipated solo CD release, ‘Aina Kupuna, will be in stores on March 27, 2007. Under the guidance of the Makaha Sons, Hoku has crafted a project that respects his kupuna and embraces a future that promises to continue the nahenahe style of traditional Hawaiian music. From the opening number, “Nani Na Pali Hauliuli O Na Ko‘olau”, to the rousing closing number, “‘Aina Kupuna E/Ho‘i Ke Aloha I Ra‘iatea”, Hoku delivers each song with the emotion and charisma that can only come from years of polish and a heritage ground firmly in both the hula and Hawaiian music communities. Hoku’s riveting falsetto voice will grab the ears of listeners in the songs “Moanalua” and “Kuhio Beach”. We will be hearing the music from this album in halau all over the world as dancers sway to numbers like “Kuhiau”, “La‘ieikawai” and “Na Pua Lei ‘Ilima”. On “Ola‘a Beauty” Hoku is joined by Robert Cazimero and Keao Costa in this waltz-inspired number that is already being taught to hula dancers in Hawai‘i and is sure to become a classic.

Hoku’s website has also gone live and you can read more about him and listen to song samples from ‘Aina Kupuna. Just go to www.hokuzuttermeister.com and see why everyone is so excited about this upcoming release.

Makaha Sons’ Family Birthdays

The Makaha Sons Family celebrates the birthdays of:

Sharlene Oshiro on January 29
Hoku Zuttermeister on March 8
Yolanda Koko on March 18
Joshua Kaleohano on March 27
Happy Birthday everyone!

That’s it for now, everyone! Thanks for taking the time to visit with us and we hope to see you all very soon.

Take care,

Sharlene and Kawikanui

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  12:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo nui loa for sharing the newsletter. I love the Makaha Sons they are awesome.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  06:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Thanks for the heads-up--from the Makaha Sons newsletter I found out that today's the day that Hoku Zuttermeister's first CD is public--hooray! What a voice that man has--thanks to the Makaha Sons for supporting Hoku, a true "star" of a singer.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  06:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Ha-ha Tonya. Very clever..."star". Love the wit. I cannot wait until Barry Kimokeo puts out his CD. What a nice young man! Hoping to see him next month when we visit O`ahu. He told me he is at Chai's on Mondays with Jerry Santos. If you go to Barry's web site --
http://www.barrykimokeo.com/flash_intro/intro.html you can hear how wonderful he is -- voice and amazing guitar playing! It is great the Makaha Sons are helping other musicians. When we were on O`ahu a few years ago, Na Kama was playing at Tiki's and we bought their CD.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000