Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Yairi guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  8:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I was just going through the closet in one of the spare bedrooms and came across a guitar that I almost forgot I had. I had to stop and think...where did this come from? I finally remembered that an aunt gave it to me years ago saying she just couldn't get the hang of playing guitar. I guess I wasn't to interested in it because it has sat in the closet all these years with a couple of broken strings. I took a look inside to see what kind of guitar it was. It says hand crafted by K Yairi. I could only distinguish the last 3 numbers of the model number which is 600. It is a nylon string small bodied classical. I did a search here and found almost nothing. Google turned up a little history on the company but not much regarding how these guitars are percieved and what kind of value they have. Seems to have a great sound for such a small body..I'm thinking I've got to get some strings on this thing and see how it sounds in taropatch tuning.

Any thoughts on this guitar or any experience with them?

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  02:25:38 AM  Show Profile
I can tell you that the Yairi line is hand made and is Alvarez guitars best series of guitars. I play a '75 Alvarez Yairi cy140 classical. The last time I looked most of the Yairi's were expensive. If yours is in good shape it may be worth something.
Check with Alvarez
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  04:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yairi is a luthery in Japan that does build a line of high-end guitars for Alvarez. But I think there are Yairi guitars that are not Alvarez. It's definitely a respectable name and probably worth money.
Keoki Kahumoku plays a steel string Yairi and I think George Kuo's double-neck is a Yairi.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  06:37:48 AM  Show Profile
I found this description of the Yairi guitar on the Mandolin Bros. website.

"When sold in the USA guitars designed by Kasuo Yairi are called Alvarez Yairi, but when Yairi exports to other countries they have a completely different label (it looks like ancient papyrus, with irregular edges) and are called “Est. 1935, K. Yairi.” This same paper label reads “Guaranteed against defects in materials and craftsmanship” (although this generous offer undoubtedly applies only to the original purchaser) and the location of the company is stated as Kani, Gifu, Japan. It may have been made in Kani, but the sound and appearance (the woods, the workmanship) are uncanny – you’d expect that a guitar that sounds this good and looks this fetching would be priced a whole lot higher than this. The bindings, out of which there are small chips of wood here and there, are rosewood; the fingerboard is ebony and the bridge is polished rosewood; the soundhole rosette is a multi-colored festival of floral fancy; the tuners are gold-tone with pearloid buttons, the headstock is slotted with a triply-scalloped point; the top is gorgeous wide-grained cedar and the sides and back are so Brazilian that it makes you want to sing “Terug Naar Brazilië Algemeen” the Brazilian national anthem, that, since you asked (I heard you ask) begins with the lines: The peaceful banks of the Ipiranga heard the resounding cry of an heroic people, and the dazzling rays of the sun of Liberty bathed our country in their brilliant light."

Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000