Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Pu`uwai vs. Poli
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  09:42:47 AM  Show Profile
I seem to stay in a perpetual state of confusion as relates `olelo Hawai`i. I do not understand when it is best to use the word "pu`uwai" or when it is best to use "poli". What I have been told is that pu`uwai actually refers to the heart as an organ whereas poli pertains to the general area at the chest or breast where one would hold a baby. This, then, would seem to me to be much more related to conveying a feeling of love and care than pu`uwai.

Instances of usage:
Wahine `Ilikea i ka poli o Moloka`i
E Hele makou i ka poli o Iesu

Nowelo mao `ole i ka pu`uwai
Konikoni lua i ka pu`uwai

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  11:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I seem to stay in a perpetual state of confusion as relates `olelo Hawai`i. I do not understand when it is best to use the word "pu`uwai" or when it is best to use "poli". What I have been told is that pu`uwai actually refers to the heart as an organ whereas poli pertains to the general area at the chest or breast where one would hold a baby. This, then, would seem to me to be much more related to conveying a feeling of love and care than pu`uwai.

Instances of usage:
Wahine `Ilikea i ka poli o Moloka`i
E Hele makou i ka poli o Iesu

Nowelo mao `ole i ka pu`uwai
Konikoni lua i ka pu`uwai

'Ae, pololei kela.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  1:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Wanda,

In 'Olelo Hawai'i here are the meaning for poli and pu'uwai

Poli:means bosom; breast; depression; (peotic)heart, arms

Pu'uwai: means Heart. Use of pu'uwai as a center of emotions is a western concept.

Hope that this helps.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  2:52:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusiclover06

Aloha Wanda,

In 'Olelo Hawai'i here are the meaning for poli and pu'uwai

Poli:means bosom; breast; depression; (peotic)heart, arms

Pu'uwai: means Heart. Use of pu'uwai as a center of emotions is a western concept.

Hope that this helps.

I've seen poli used as Dennis did in Wahine 'Ilikea for places. Though I haven't seen an exact characterization of its use, most of the instances I can think of are on the leeward slopes of the island, not seaside, not the high peaks, but usually in between, gentle slopes in an area with a slight depression that might resemble the poli of a human body. I've seen references to Pukalani and its surrounding areas in such a way. This isn't to say it couldn't be used for the windward side and areas with steeper features, I just can't of any examples off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  04:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
Where is the place that dennis refers to in the song?

(I'm confused as to the difference between kea, ke'o, and ke'oke'o)

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  06:30:12 AM  Show Profile
It is on island of Moloka`i. This song is the one that gave me the impetus to learn the poetry of Hawai`i. I was so totally amazed at the imagery, oh so beautiful. I also was intrigued because I have noticed that many mele had verses speaking of nature, but had a veiled meaning toward a lover or a beautiful lady. But in this song, Dennis was speaking of a beautiful pale-skinned lady, but all the while, describing the place. And even more amazing is that this beautiful, poetic, sensual song was written by Dennis when he was a mere lad. What emotional maturity he had at such a young age.

This mele is about s good as it gets. No ka `oi.

I found the following article written by Dr. Jeffrey Kamakahi for Tokyo University. Article can be found at: http://employees.csbsju.edu/jkamakahi/NH10songs.htm

It presents studies of other songs as well. A great article for educating yourself.

Wâhine `Ilikea: The Hawaiian Renaissance

In the 1960s and 1970s as the Civil Rights Movement, the American Indian Movement, the Feminist Movement, and the Anti-Vietnam War protests were occurring in the Continental U.S., a movement referred to as “the Hawaiian Renaissance” was happening in Hawai`i. It involved a renewed interest by young Native Hawaiians in reclaiming their traditional cultural identity – their language, their history, and their cultural practices. Much of the movement focused upon the revitalization of Native Hawaiian folksinging.[34] With this came an interest as well in the composition of Native Hawaiian folksongs.

“Wâhine `Ilikea” (fair-skinned woman), written by Dennis Kamakahi, was a new composition modeled in the traditional style.

There is a celebration of nature. Pua kalaunu – the crown flower that it associated with the island of Moloka`i, -- is identified. The song’s title refers to the mist atop a particular mountain described as a “fair-skinned woman.”

There is a definite “sense of place.” Hâlawa Valley is on the extreme East end of Moloka`i. Its three waterfalls – Hina, Hâhâ, and Mo`oloa – are mentioned as is the valley’s Ho`olua wind.

There is another “reclaiming” associated with this song. This is the area where the composer’s paternal grandfather and many ancestors of that lineage were born and raised. Relatively uninhabited since a tidal wave washed into the valley in the early-1900s, the area still holds the mana of its people.

There are also modern elements in the song. The cascading melodic phrase at the beginning of the song is a novelty, but the general style is traditional.

This song represents a re-examination and re-appreciation of the Native Hawaiian cultural past.

Wâhine `Ilikea - by Dennis Kamakahi

Hui:

Pua kalaunu ma ke kai

`O Honouliwai

Wâhine `ilikea i ka poli `o Moloka`i

Nô ka heke

Nani wale nô nâ wailele `uka

`O Hina `o Hâhâ `o Mo`oloa

Nâ wai `ekolu i ka uluwehiwehi

`O Kamalô i ka mâlie

Nani wale nô ka `âina Hâlawa

Home ho`okipa a ka malihini

`Âina uluwehi i ka noe ahiahi

Ua lawe mai ka makani Ho`olua

Chorus:

Crown flower by the shore

Of Honouliwai

Fair skinned woman in the bosom of Moloka`i

Is the best

Beautiful waterfalls of the upland

Hina, Haha and Mo'oloa

The three waters in the verdant overgrowth

Of Kamalo, in the calm

Beautiful is the land, Halawa

Hospitable home to the visitors

Land verdant, in the evening mist

Brought by the wind of Ho`olua

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  06:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi wanda, thank you for the thoughts. i agree, it's a beautiful song. and, the song is one of those natural ones that makes one want to dance.

the story i had heard, from a local friend who has spent a fair amount of time witih dennis, was that there is a waterfall on moloka'i where the mist forms the shape of a woman. i was wondering where that was.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  09:23:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

Where is the place that dennis refers to in the song?

(I'm confused as to the difference between kea, ke'o, and ke'oke'o)

aloha,
keith

Honouliwai is on the east end of the island. The name in the same verse as his reference to "ka poli o Moloka'i", but I wouldn't want to assume that this is the reference. Best to ask the haku mele.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  09:49:04 AM  Show Profile
I have heard Dennis speaking about the three wailele not frequently seen because of the mists that are usually present, hiding the beauty of the falls. On the particular day he was there, the mists dissipated and he thought it was like a beautiful lady revealing herself to her lover...

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

following keola's suggestion, i asked dennis. he replied much as wanda remembered:
quote:
The white mist of Kamalo, Moloka'i high on the steep ridges of Kamakou ,Mountain covers the waters of Hina, Goddess of the Moon. The white mist is like a fair skinned woman who reveals herself to her lover just like the mist when it parts and reveals the beauty of Hina, Haha, and Mo'oloa the three waterfalls that cascade down the ridge. Wahine 'Ilikea is the white mist.

so, my friend had remembered incorrectly. but, one thing i've learned is talk story is often more about the beauty of a story and less about its veracity ^_^

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  09:15:27 AM  Show Profile
Dennis - if you see this, please share with us how you were able to have such emotional maturity at such a young age to write such a magnificent mele. To me, this is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard or ever will hear. It is one thing to have thoughts about the beauty of a place, but quite another to couple it with words and music so that it will touch and impact so many people. That, my friend, is what it is all about. Most guys at the age you were when you wrote this song would be drinking beer and belching and watching football or something like that. They would say, Hey, woman getting nekkid -- SWEET!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000