Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Around LAX
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  09:23:41 AM  Show Profile
I just gotta tell you folks: !!
Friday night I went to Bob's Okazuya Ohana, a local Hawaiian joint in Gardena (complete w/ kitchen style tables and screen door). Henry Kamae plays there on Friday nights along with Roger Waiala, Pete Kahele, Jimmy Ng, Junius (Junior) Montgomery, Joe... and Rick the fisherman. OK, that's always wonderful. And others play when they're there, like Bill Tapia and Pat Enos. But this last Friday was really something else. Sipy, I think from big islan', plays regularly on tour boats and is currently dry-docked. For some reason, I thought he was an ukulele player, and I imagine he is. But Friday he dragged in something wonderful called a Vibra-phon.... vintage the 1920s... If he does that again, I hope to have a picture to post. I'm sure many of you are experts in this instrument, but it was the first time I'd seen one and his playing was totally awesome!!!

And then yesterday I hit the jackpot again! Daniel Ho was playing at a local place in Torrance where a new place moved into where Tower Records used to be. I knew some Halau or other was going to be there. Well!! It turned out that Puanani (Sylvia Edgar) and her daughter Nani, along with several others came down from Ventura to perform. What a treat! I met them last summer at George's camp where they added a lot. Hubby Lowell is a firefighter so was working. They are working very hard for competition and she has choreographed some really cool stuff. And she plays ipu for the oli and dancing. So special!!!

Just hadda tell ya - - now gotta go out and weed... see if my ginger will come back, most plumerias are leafing out and should have flowers in May. For the SCSKS folks, if yours died during the cold this winter let me know and I will bring more cuttings.

Aloha nui,
aunty nancy

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  05:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
nancy - is the former tower record place on sepulveda near del amo? that's some good music...

at the ka'anapali beach hotel there's a regular, named rudy, who i hear used to be a vibraphone player for don ho. he plays one mean guitar...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  05:09:06 AM  Show Profile
Yah, Tower Records left and it's now fye... new to me, but looks same inside...
C'mon by Bob's with your guitar some night - - they'd love to have a break. We don't get much slack key, though Pete Kahele is an excellent player. But he plays steel with Henry.
Are you coming up for Led's performance at Whittier? Doug says he'll be at McCabe's on the 13th.
Hope to see you one of these days!!!
n
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000