Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 How to crack a coconut
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:16:40 AM  Show Profile
I found the following interesting link on the Honolulu Advertiser's web page. It has a video to show you how to efficiently crack a coconut and how to grate it, and how to make coconut milk. It looks so easy.

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070328/LIFE02/703280347/1083

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:36:46 AM  Show Profile
The best method I ever found was to give it to our neighbor's pitbull. He could husk and crack one in about two minutes. You lose some of the milk, though.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile
...and sometimes it was tough to get the coconut away from him ;-)
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile
I once saw on "America's Funniest Animals" on TV, a pit bull that could put the whole coconut, shell and all in his mouth. He wasn't really that big of a dog, but one BIG mouth! A few months back, the grocery here had cocnuts whose husks were white, and it looked like they had sort of been peeled. Paul bought one and had a heck of a time getting it open. I guess it takes practice. We don't have much opportunity to come across coconuts with husks.

While we are talking about food, does anyone know where I can buy a musubi mold...or maybe its called a press. Too hard to shape it by hand. Can't use the spam can because it is one of those aluminum cans with the rounded edges on the bottom. I can maybe find one somewhere when we go to O`ahu?

Also - anyone know of good place to get fresh local kine fruit on O`ahu? Are there farmers markets anywhere on the island? I would love to taste a mango in situ, as it were. There are so good, even by the time we get them here. I know it has to be fantastic if they are fresh. Once we went to various places in the Carribbean...I think it was Grenada, and we had bananas just picked ripe of the tree. WOW! I could not believe the difference from the tasteless, mealy stuff we get at home. Actually, I didn't think they were tasteless and mealy until I tasted one fresh picked.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Many years ago I had a jewelry business on Oahu. I used to fight with the Coconuts to husk them. Used a hatchet,sweat and many cuss words. One day a local kid about 10-12 came by,watched for a few and den picked up a nut -banged four time on the curb and out popped the nut. Guess who had a job...................happily paid by dis dumb Haole!!!!

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  6:28:52 PM  Show Profile
I mus be da onleh ole fut local posting. In da heart I still local so no wize-cracks about Iowa.

Okay talk story some mo ... How fo peel da coconut ...

Dat guy in da newspapah, his idea not new! How come in da NEWSpapah? 40 yrs ago, my great uncle tell me fo use da pick or da crow-bar pointed side up. Real easeh to peel. 2 minutes, den pau. Except, I no peel em like dat guy. I tell my small braddah, sit on the handle end of da pick, and den I stay opposite end. Dat way you get bettah angle fo yank da skin off da shell. I was one akamai kid ... hah ... nah, nah, jus joke. I was jus one dum buggah wid puhi bite an all. But once in a while I get good idea from plain luck. Aftah da firs piece of da coconut skin come off, da rest is easeh. Make shuah you no leave da pick or crow bar like dat in case get small kids playin or you trip and fall (yea, I one safety nut).

So wot yu goin do if no mo pick or crow bar or cane knife. Oh yea cane knife or bolo-knife ... can use cane knife if you know how. Da filipino guys was real good wid em. I was not dat talented tho. Can use hachet (BD1) if you know how -- cut wid da grain den pound em on both ends until soft an can pull off da skin.

Okay, back to my thot, if no mo tools, and you stay down da beach, wot you going do? You go find one strong rock with the sharpest pointed tip. Den you pound da coconut on dat rock point until you can peel da skin off da coconut. No do like Tom Hanks in da movie where he stay stuck on da island and pound da coconut wid da rock! Easier to pound da coconut on da rock. Again, once the first piece come off, da rest is easy. Dis way, take me 5-10 mins. Gotta watch out that you no bus da shell oddah-wize you lose all da juice. Takes practice.

And wen you down da beach widout one container to catch da juice, you cannot jus crack da coconut in half like da guy in da newspapah. My cousin showed me how to crack em open. You get one good shape rock and pound da top of the coconut in a circle. Da rock gotta be like one stone-age hammah. Dis takes talent. In case you dunno, da top part get da 3 eyes of da coconut. Once you get da crack in a circle at the top, den you can pull da top part off jus like wen you cut da top part of the pumpkin off for Halloween an' can put em back on. Den you can drink da juice using da coconut shell as a cup. If you get tools den you can easily puncture da eyes ( no foget to wash da tools first). You can use one big nail or one punch. Den you can drink da juice. An' aftah pau drink da juice, you can crack da shell any kine way or good kine way to get da meat. If yu lucky an got "spoon-meat", you can scoop out da meat out.

Da best coconut was da ones wid "spoon-meat". Da juice was sweet and you can scoop da meat off da shell wid one spoon, yo fingahs or opihi shell. Did you guys ever try fo make spoon wid opihi shells? Use ta have BIG kine shells. Anyway da spoon-meat was so tender and sweet to eat. Sometimes was humbug. I pick da coconut too young. I work hard to peel da coconut and den afta drink da juice, no mo meat inside! Hui, make me mad! Da oldah coconuts had more tangier juice. I liked da coconut jus befo da meat was crunchy; when it was still gel-like, cuz my jaws got tired chewing da hard cruncy ones. Da crunchy meat coconut was fo cookin deserts.

Da oldah coconut wid da firm meat ... we use ta challenge each other. Who could get da shell off da coconut with any damage to the meat and no leaking of da juice just wid one rock. Okay ... dis took a LOT of talent and patience.

Da real old coconut. Can eat too. Da brown hard ones with a shoot growing out one to two feet high and get roots. I get one story about dis. Down da beach had one old man (yea I know plenny old man stories -- but I one old man too). He wanted to plant some coconuts by the ocean side. So he take some coconuts wid the shoots growin out and wen plant em. But next day, he look, da buggahs was gone! He no can figgah, so he plant some more. Den da buggas gone again! So next time he plant em, and den watch em. He spock some kids takin da coconuts with da shoots growing out. Dey take em to a place with good sharp rocks, bus em, and was eating them. So he wen tell em, no take da coconut cuz I tryin fo grow em. Go take from dis oddah side in my place if you like. Get plenny more ova dere.

Da meat inside by da roots look like cotton candy and tastes sweet. And das wot we called it ... cotton candy ...

(Original story from my Hannah buttah days )

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/30/2007 6:55:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  7:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Wanda: the plastic/acrylic spam musibi molds are pretty common . . . probably can find one at Long's or any number of other stores when you're on O`ahu.

Don
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  03:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Menpachi, you da coconut Kahuna bra!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  1:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

The best method I ever found was to give it to our neighbor's pitbull. He could husk and crack one in about two minutes. You lose some of the milk, though.

That's funny... I would like to see one dog husk and crack a coconut in two minutes. Saw one episode on Hawaiian Moving Company with Michael W. Perry where he aired a episode on the coconut-husking dog.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000