Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Webcast royalty ruling has isle casualty
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  05:59:12 AM  Show Profile
From Erika Engle's "The Buzz" column in the biz section of today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin:

THE music has stopped at one Hawaii-based Internet radio station in response to a federal ruling that increases royalty rates.
Pioneering Internet Radio Hawaii at IRH.com doesn't play music any more, though founder Robert "Rabbett" Abbett still provides daily news updates and photo essays from treks around the island.
He declined comment publicly for the column, as did most of the isle music Webcasters contacted by TheBuzz.

Full article, here: http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/04/business/engle.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  06:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Auntie,
Is this happening to KKCR as well? I hope not.

Allan

b3d
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  07:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Allan - this recent ruling applies to internet-only stations, not over-the-air broadcasters that stream live over the internet. We have a completely different mess of rules that apply there.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  04:54:43 AM  Show Profile
For now, KKCR is safe. Because ours is a community radio station (non-commercial), we operate under the umbrella of CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting) -- which covers our royalty fee payments. CPB and its affiliate stations got a "break" on fee payments, and pay less than the commercial radio stations. For now.

And speaking of KKCR, our Spring Fund Drive is fast approaching and your subscriptions help keep us on the air! May 14-23 www.kkcr.org

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  07:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Auntie, is KKCR a member of the National Federation of Community Broadcasters (NFCB) as well? For stations the size of KKCR (and KBCS, where I do a show), they've also been good representatives in arguing to keep our royalty fees low - since these stations don't operate for profit.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000