Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Tenor ukulele recommendations?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  6:11:21 PM  Show Profile
It's time for an ukulele upgrade from my Hilo soprano (not that I'm giving it up or anything). I'd like something a little bigger and louder.

Can anyone recommend a good tenor cutaway? I'm considering the Applause UAE148 ($350 - albeit it has a pick-up which I wouldn't use) and the Bushman Jenny Venetian cutaway ($230-$260). I don't plan on spending more than $350 and would prefer to keep it under $300.

Maybe I should also consider a Lanikai?

Edited by - ongchua on 04/13/2007 6:19:52 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  03:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hans,

You're back! Haven't seen you in a while. How's your learning Hawaiian music blog?

I do not really have any suggestions for you, but I recently saw that Epiphone's Masterbilt line includes an `ukulele. Anyone ever see or try one of these? I've seen a guitar and was impressed.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  03:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Whatever you buy, let me know what you think of the difference in ease of play relative to the smaller instrument. I wanted to keep my recent ukulele purchase under $50.00, but may someday go for something a bit more expensive if the larger instrument increases one's musical facility. (I do know that Aquila strings woke up this spruce top concert size - night and day.) I have discovered that you need to play small ukuleles in short sleeves if you want to keep them tucked under your arm. They're a warm weather instrument!
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  03:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I don't know a thing about tenor ukuleles, but this one's in your price range, and has a solid spruce top:

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_tenor.html#s-teq

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  04:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
There's this one too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-Cutaway-Sprucetop-Tenor-Ukulele-w-pickup-case_W0QQitemZ330107419268QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16224QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  04:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
And:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LANIKAI-SOLID-TOP-A-E-TENOR-UKULELE-AND-CASE-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ320101655930QQihZ011QQcategoryZ16224QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  04:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
If you want koa:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LANIKAI-CK-T-EQ-TENOR-CURLY-KOA-ELE-UKULELE-UKE_W0QQitemZ200097359637QQihZ010QQcategoryZ16224QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  07:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Some of the Laikai branded ukuleles are being made by a well known Oahu ukulele luthier. They are stellar with the same gloss finish as new Taylor Guitars. I think they are the "LK Series". The LK-SC is a Tenor body with a Concert size neck. I have played a few of these and they are a really good value. Nice tone, playability, and a finish that with last and show off a beautiful instrument. I have two KoAloha Tenor ukuleles and they have a really sweet sound and action -- but way above your price range.

Not sure why you would want a cutaway.

As far as electronics/pickup goes. I always thought I would never need one. Now I find myself in front of the local group plugged in and singing -- oh well, you can't always hide in the crowd.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  08:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I suggest saving your money a little longer and buy a Koaloha or Kamaka. But Lanikai is a pretty good brand and offers a wide variety of styles. Good luck.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  1:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello Andy and all!

Yes. I'm back after having gotten sidetracked by work and family. Some things just need to be prioritized.

If I knew which of the Lanikai's were better-made, I'd consider them. Right now, I guess that I'm leaning a bit more towards the Applause with a Mahogany finish.

I already use an Applause guitar for learning slack key and am happy with its brightness and tone.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  3:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hans,

the nice thing about a lanikai (i use them in my uke classes) is: they sound good unplugged. and, they do sound good. the quality - in terms of variance in quality - has improved dramatically.

i have definite leanings towards hikabe's advice - there are some really good ukes the next price rung up - but i understand the concept of a budget (i may not practice it all that well, though, especially when in the vicinity of dennis lake, but that's another story...) for the money, lanikai is, i think, unbeatable.

i echo the question on the cutaway. they look cool. i have two cutaway ukes - a pö mahina and a ko'olau. they are several price rungs up from the applause and lanikai. even on these instruments, the sound high up enough doesn't really warrant the cutaway. but, you may have shimabukuro-genes in your fingers? just something to consider.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  3:37:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

the nice thing about a lanikai (i use them in my uke classes) is: they sound good unplugged. and, they do sound good. the quality - in terms of variance in quality - has improved dramatically.

Yes. The most recent reviews that I've uncovered suggest that the Applause is pretty-much unbeatable when plugged, but isn't so hot when it's unplugged. I have no intentions in the near or far future to perform, so I have no need for a plugged uke.

So now, maybe it's a face-off between a spruce-top Lanikai and a Bushman Jenny?

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  4:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
could be! i've never had the occasion to try out a bushman. they're close to twice the cost of a lanikai, but i saw one review of a concert that said the tone was very good even if the workmanship was a bit off (see uketalk.com/bushman.pdf).

there's nothing like getting the ukes in your hands and giving them a test drive ^_^

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  4:25:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
there's nothing like getting the ukes in your hands and giving them a test drive ^_^

I know. Gary from JumpingFlea.com said that he'll be at the NorCal Ukulele Festival on the 29th. I'm hoping that there'll be some Lanikai vendors there too.

Assuming that I can try-out both the Jennys and the Lanikais, I may make my final buying decision thereafter.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile
Hans,
What is important is what sound good to your ear, is in your price range, feels good to play, and will last as long as you need it to. I echo Keith's comment on playing what you intend to buy. (His Po Mahina uke really is a GEM)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  4:41:35 PM  Show Profile
I had a chance to try out a Lanikai LK tenor and would agree that these stand-out from the typical Lanikai. Of course, the price stands-out too. It was about $1000 for the LK.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000