Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Pearls Before Breakfast
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  1:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
One guy at Pier 36 was charging people to take photos of him in his robot suit as he posed. He chased down a tourist and made them pay after snapping a shot without asking. I would have refused. But I am bigger then both of them. A few feet away a fellow named Daryl was riffing on the sax. He was incredible and I gave him $20 for his $15 CD. People are scrounging for money for all kinds of reasons, some bad but mostly good reasons. Give if you can. But you don't need to feel guilty if you don't give anything. If you smile or start tapping your feet, put a dime in the hat.
Anyway, this type of work cannot support anyone with normal finacial obligations.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  10:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Hiram,
Thanks for your comments -- I guess my real gripe with having a loud crowd at the restaurant is more that when that happens my tips go down. Other than than I try to use it as a kind of "meditation" to help me see when my ego is really tied up with my playing.

Also interesting what you say about smiling and presenting an image. I once tried to play one set with a very serious/concentrated look, and the same songs for the next set while smiling and making some eye contact, especially when people were applauding. It absolutely floored me how much of a difference it made both in the atmosphere, and the way people perceived my music as well as the tips. In truth, I also enjoyed myself more, which I'm sure, affected my playing even in subtle ways. This is not a question of being phoney. It really has to do with helping to create an atmosphere for people to enjoy what you are offering.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  1:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Part of the fun of watching Red Skelton on tv was his smiling and laughing at his own jokes, mistakes by unseen sound effects staff, and other performers. His laughter was infectious.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  6:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that -- if there are any "youngsters" lurking here - you might find it a real treat to rent a Red Skelton DVD. That was a man who could enjoy and laugh at human foibles without insulting people. A gentle-man.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  6:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
When I was a little boy I saw Red Skelton in L.A. in a Hollywood open air venue. It may have been a football field What a performance! He laughed, cried, shouted, and fell down on a wooden stage above us. No props, no back ups, and just a single mike which as I recall didn't make make much difference. We were all crowded up against the funky stage and loved every minute of it.

Some performers got it,

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  04:30:06 AM  Show Profile
The key: communication.
A note about crowds- Slipry1 observed that Americans are the only folks who shout in restaurants and bars.
Smiling, having fun when you're performing, does indeed make a difference. (Hans is always telling me to smile, but he is using some fo my under my breath comments as jokes now.)
Street performance: if you're touched, respond.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  1:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Most people don't take the time to smell the flowers let alone listen to the music. It usually takes another musician to fully appreciate what someone is doing.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  2:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e no'eau,

you're right. but, like mike, i'll try to figure out how to connect better.

i like your inoa! how did you get the name no'eau?

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000