Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Any interesting gigs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  10:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I was just thinking recently that I started playing slack key simply because I enjoyed it. My intention was just to play in my living room. In the last few years, though, I have been playing out on occasion. Reflecting on those experience, I thought I'd share a couple and wondered about others in the Taropatch `ohana.

One of the first gigs I played was in 2004 for a kickoff party at the Fire Island Dance Festival. I was impressed that slack key took me to this place where I never would have gone otherwise, and I got to see some premier dance companies perform over that weekend.

This weekend, I am headed to Boston to play some music for Boston University's lu`au. I'm sure their Hawai`i Cultural Club will have hula and good food. Should be a fun time.

One "interesting" gig that came in as an inquiry but never materialized was for a Hawai`i themed party at an Orthodox Synagogue in Brooklyn. I thought that one would have been a really cool scene.

Anyhow, mahalo nui to all the teachers and fellow players who taught me and encouraged me to leave the comfort of my living room. People often thank me for creating Taropatch.net as a resource, but it has been a resource for me too.

Andy

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  2:32:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
...encouraged me to leave the comfort of my livingroom...

We should all receive that encouragement -- then have the [cojones, guts, (you insert the phrase)] to actually do it.

I can affirm that I get more enjoyment out of seeing someone else enjoy my music than I can in my own living room.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  4:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
A couple of years ago I started getting weird emails from friends telling me that someone was looking for me on Craig's list. Didn't make any sense, right? So I got a link, and discovered that someone had seen me opening a show (thanks, Patrick) but didn't catch my name, and wanted me to play her wedding. I followed up and met the couple, and learned that the young lady was named Maile, born and raised on O`ahu. The wedding was doubly important to her because it was part of a reconciliation with her father. She wanted to include Hawaiian music in the ceremony out of respect for him. You can imagine that I was touched.

So I wrote a processional for her, and called it "Na Kaikaina `Eha" which I hope means the four sisters, referring to the four varieties of maile and the Hawaiian goddesses they represent. The wedding was held at the edge of the San Francisco Bay, and, as always, the sound of a slack key guitar brought some touch of island feeling to the scene.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/18/2007 4:04:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  6:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Andy,

I've had a few, but the best was with John Keawe. Two years ago I picked him, Hope and their grand-daughter, Naomi, up at the Oakland Airport to road manage a short tour. On the way to my house John, out of nowhere, says, "You are going to open for me tonight, right?" That was at Don Quixote's in Felton, and that's the picture I use in my "profile". (That's my wife, Bev, doing the hula and my musical partner, Mark.) We ended up opening for him at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley also. What a trip!

Also, thanks to Patrick Landeza, I've opened and played with him, Herb Ohta, Jr and Uncle Dennis. As Patrick always says, "It's all good".

Aloha nui,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  6:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
My first "gig", kind of, was with kevin brown. i was on maui, and kevin called and said that he was off to a birthday party somewhere upcountry - olinda, maybe? anyway, he invited me along and reminded me to bring my guitar. i thought "okay! a kanikapila". when we got there, i found out that i was the middle guy of his trio. i had never played in public or sung into a microphone before.

i learned three valuable lessons that evening:

1) when you sing into a microphone, it gets in the way of your eyes and your left hand. so, you better be able to grab the chords without looking. i was doing a lot of back up and look kind of movements, kind of like one chicken.

2) i always wondered why the musicians turned their eyes down modestly and looked at the ground when there was a hula dancer. i mean, you got the 'elemu view... but, when i watched the dancer, i got so distracted with her dancing that i forgot to play the guitar. hula dancers don't like that. so, don't look at the hula dancer.

3) don't give up the day job.

this was one of the highlights of my life. another was playing at a benefit with the sons of wai'ehu and duke backing me up doing "e ho'i e ka pili". i still get chicken skin thinking of that. actually, recalling chatting with duke about the john pi'ilani watkins and the students in the halau also makes me misty eyed.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 04/18/2007 6:54:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  7:59:50 PM  Show Profile
The way I see it, the way you play comes natural! In fact, you're a much more talented slack key musician than I! I recall the times we all had such a great time 'jus press'n in our "kanikajammin circle" at the "Bailey House" with Uncle Sol, and the rest of the gang...Sarah, Reid, Kevin, Hal, Andy, Paul...just to name a few. Hey! Remember when we first met and jammed together at Kaanapali Beach Hotel grounds?And fast forwarding a little, you made my version of "Lahaina Luna" so much sweeter You keep doing what you do best Keith... Maybe some day we'll all get together again Take care, A Hui Hou...

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  8:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Two special moments for me:
I think when I first played the stage at the San Francisco Aloha Festival was my "biggest" gig - Around halfway through the set I realized people who knew something about Hawaiian music were enjoying what I was doing --at that point I started to breathe, stopped worrying about what I was doing, my right hand pretty much stopped shaking, and I started to have fun at it. It was a big shift in my own selfunderstanding.
The other "big" gig for me was one afternoon on O'ahu - I played for a small group of Hawaiian seniors. I was actually more nervous than at SF Festival. However, their quiet attention and the smiles on their faces are a memory that I hope never fades.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  04:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey bill! that was great at KBH. i think susie still has the money someone threw in our case.

we're having a kanikapila in june at our place in june - can you come? it would be great to see you again! i'll try making pipi stew like paul makes... the last time i had that stew, you played a sweet version of Noho Au I Kupa. i'm still trying to play it like you did.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  05:14:19 AM  Show Profile
I do not have a favorite gig story, but I may someday.
Right now I am at the "playing in my livingroom" stage. Some days I play very well but other days I screw up everything...including bumping my guitar when I pick it up. If given enough takes I can record a decent tune but it seems to me that a solo guitar player with an attentive audience has to be nearly perfect. That is what keeps me from venturing out.
My hat is off to all of you that can do it.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 04/19/2007 07:19:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  07:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey bob - i've heard your recordings on myspace; they're great. you're ready! it sounds like you've played in public before for other kinds of music, so you know that the way to get over the fear of performing in public is to perform in public... making errors is part of being human.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

So I wrote a processional for her, and called it "Na Kaikaina `Eha" which I hope means the four sisters, referring to the four varieties of maile and the Hawaiian goddesses they represent. The wedding was held at the edge of the San Francisco Bay, and, as always, the sound of a slack key guitar brought some touch of island feeling to the scene.

Kaikaina means younger sibling of the same sex. A man's younger brothers and women's younger sisters are kaikaina. Older siblings of the same sex are kaikua'ana. There is no single term that I know of for all siblings of the same sex (other than kika or "tita" which is less than preferrable). For such situations I would use both terms - ko'u mau kaikua'ana a kaikaina - "my older and younger brothers". Kaikaina would not describe all four sisters unless there was a fifth that was older and you were referring to them in that context. In the situation you describe you could also state the oldest and then use kaikaina for the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  11:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Well, sin of pride and all that...but since this thread is encouraging, here's my "most memorable for all the right reasons gig" tale:

Two years ago, when I was helping with an insanely trouble-ridden three-show trip (Seattle, Kalama, Eugene) with Dennis Kamakahi, John Keawe & Charlie Recaido, a couple things happened at the Eugene show. First, after hearing me kinda singing along with him backstage while rehearsing "Keep Your Eyes On Her Hands," Charlie asked me to sing it with him onstage, while my kumu (who was one of the trip's producers) danced. I had sung with our halau for a few years, but this was the first time someone with a bit of "stardom" asked me to join them, so it was a little scary - but it went well, and I was really flattered that he had invited me to join in.

Then, just before intermission, I was in the dressing room when Uncle Dennis asked if I had brought my bass guitar with me (our halau had performed in Kalama as well.) I said, "sure," assuming he was going to ask if I would lend it to Charlie to accompany him for his set. Oh, no --- instead, he said, "why don't you join us on the last number?" (when the three guitarists would play "Wai O Ke Ani Ani" for a finale.)

Uhhh ... my mind reeled. I had only been playing bass for just under a couple of years, and was thinking all kinds of thoughts, including:
> Hmmm, I know the song, but haven't played it in G before - can I transpose it on the fly?
> OH MY GOD - did he just ask ME to play? With these stars of Hawaiian music? AIYEEEE!!!
> Can I actually do it? Without screwing up, that is?
> If I say no, will I ever be given an opportunity like this again?

So, of course, I calmly squeaked, "sure." Then I got my bass, warned the sound crew that I would be joining in at the end, and spent the next several minutes quietly practicing in another room.

Oh, and I told my sweetie what was going to be happening later. She took the one photo that I have as proof that I didn't dream it all - I think I look horribly frightened in it. To the best of my stunned recollection, I didn't screw up (nor on the "Hawai`i Aloha" that followed.)

I'm always going to be grateful to everyone involved in that gig, as it was a big confidence boost and an unforgettable moment for me.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  1:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Kaikaina means younger sibling of the same sex. A man's younger brothers and women's younger sisters are kaikaina. Older siblings of the same sex are kaikua'ana. There is no single term that I know of for all siblings of the same sex (other than kika or "tita" which is less than preferrable). For such situations I would use both terms - ko'u mau kaikua'ana a kaikaina - "my older and younger brothers". Kaikaina would not describe all four sisters unless there was a fifth that was older and you were referring to them in that context. In the situation you describe you could also state the oldest and then use kaikaina for the rest.

Thanks so much for the analysis. I suspected that I was doomed to err.

By the way, Keola, you are the source of my little slogan in my signature. I asked Toki Noguchi for her input and she relayed my request to you. I've been trying to contact you to thank you ever since <grin>.

So, thanks very much.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  1:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Waikiki Shell May Day Festival/1975. After winning a talent show playing the harmonica, I was invited to perform for May day. I played a classical tune and a blues tune on the harmonica. It was a sell out crowd and I don't remember much. I do remember the glaring lights and feeling as if people were staring at me. I got a big reaction for the blues piece but not much for the other.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  2:16:07 PM  Show Profile
The most unusal gig I ever had was playing solo 'ukulele for the touring production of "South Pacific" at one of the premier theater's in Cleveland. Robert Goulet was the star of the production and it was a big bucks production. It was an unusal gig but it paid very well (I bought my one of my Kamakas with the proceeds) and there were enough dates that I split them with another 'ukulele player so he could get something cool, too. The wildest gigs I ever played were the mid-winter formal party at Keynon College where about 3,000 people were absolutely into the music and having a great time. We had a ball. Playing fiddle and guitar in a zydeco band on St. Patrick's Day in an Creole eatery at the end on Clevland's famed St. Patrick's parade was awfully fun, too.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  3:43:55 PM  Show Profile
NWFolklife Festival, sitting in with Led last January, Oktoberfests, heck, just picking up an instrument and blending in---it don't get any better than that! Well, maybe a pizza or nachos or spam musubi once in a while.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000