Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 He 'Ono, second verse
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  05:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all,

i'm working on the phrasing of the second verse of "he 'ono". i've heard auntie nona sing it (*sigh*) but i don't have a recording to practice with. here it is:

Mai pi'ikoi 'oe i ke akule lä
A he i'a 'äha'i i ka hohonu lä
Ho'i iho 'oe i kahi 'anae lä
Me ka manini pülehu 'ia lä
'O ke kole ë ka i'a maka onaona lä

(don't strive for akule
a fish that runs away to the depths
come back to the mullet
and the manini, broiled
and the surgeonfish with the sweet eyes)

here's how i'm thinking of phrasing it. if anyone has any suggestions, corrections (perhaps encouragement to instead sing about beef stew), i'd love 'em... anyway, bold indicates stress and i've written words together to indicate singing them that way. ugh, this is ugly. other ideas on how to indicate this would be nice too....

Mai pi'ikoi 'oe ikeakule
Ahei'a 'äha'i ikahohonu
Ho'iiho 'oe ikahi 'anaelä
Me kamanini lehu 'ia
'Okekole ë kai'amakaonaonalä

aloha,
keith

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  07:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Keith,
Now that I've worked with forum code for the last half hour I agree that it is ugly and cumbersome, but your method is better than no method at all, and it kind of works. Ideally I would prefer doing this with regular music nomenclature, because the relation between the syllabic stress (accent) and duration could be indicated accurately. Any way this will do for now (at 7:30 AM). The best recording of this is by Charlie Davis on Everest Records LBR-5015 "Charles K.L. Davis at the Royal Hawaiian", circa 1958.

Mai pi‘ikoi ‘oe i ke akule lä
A he i‘a 'äha‘i i ka hohonu lä
Ho‘i iho ‘oe i kahi ‘anae lä
Me ka manini lehu ‘ia lä
‘O ke kole ë ka i‘a maka onaonalä
He ‘o
no toumi to ho‘i tau i tou pu‘u te momoni aku
Hui:
He ‘ono a he ‘ono a he ‘ono ‘i‘o nö
A he ‘ono
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  10:59:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

Keith,
Now that I've worked with forum code for the last half hour I agree that it is ugly and cumbersome, but your method is better than no method at all, and it kind of works. Ideally I would prefer doing this with regular music nomenclature, because the relation between the syllabic stress (accent) and duration could be indicated accurately. Any way this will do for now (at 7:30 AM). The best recording of this is by Charlie Davis on Everest Records LBR-5015 "Charles K.L. Davis at the Royal Hawaiian", circa 1958.

Mai pi‘ikoi ‘oe i ke akule lä
A he i‘a 'äha‘i i ka hohonu lä
Ho‘i iho ‘oe i kahi ‘anae lä
Me ka manini lehu ‘ia lä
‘O ke kole ë ka i‘a maka onaonalä
He ‘o
no toumi to ho‘i tau i tou pu‘u te momoni aku
Hui:
He ‘ono a he ‘ono a he ‘ono ‘i‘o nö
A he ‘ono

I agree with Peter that doing this in HTML is not optimal. Not being able to indicate duration is very problematic. In some of the words listed above, particularly those with long vowels like 'äha'i, pülehu, etc. where there are two stresses and ideally, given the rhythmic characteristics of the song each would sit on a quarter note, short vowels an eight note (or notes of similar relative duration - half note/quarter note, etc.). The phrasing of the song as I recall it (I don't have a recorded copy with me) reflects that. Generally spoken stress is represented in singing by arrangement of syllables over stronger beats (discussed in my MA thesis). In words like 'äha'i and pülehu, the penultimate (second from last syllable) is usually has a stronger stress, and I would tend to find those syllables on the 1 or 3 and the first syllable ('a- and pü-) on the 2 or 4 in a song like this. I'll think about it a bit and see if there is a better way to represent this in HTML. If not I'll try to notate it in Finale, at least rhythmically, so you can see what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi peter,

this is wonderful! thank you for all your effort with the formatting ... i'll start looking for davis' recording. perhaps i can find it through the hawaiian public library system?

nancy pointed me to george kahumoku's recording (thank you, nancy!!), and i compared the way he sings it to your posting. it is very close - the only difference is in the third line, he sings 'anae rather than 'anae. so, i can practice with his and make the one substitution.

the second verse makes the meaning of the first verse so clear :) - i really want to sing both verses. thank you again!

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  11:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
keola,

in listening to george's version again, there are two stresses in 'anae. in singing pülehu, though, the stress would still be moved to the penultimate syllable even when the spoken word has it on the first syllable? (if i'm not making sense, i'm sorry - he haumäna hou nö au..)

is your MS thesis on-line?

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  11:46:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

keola,

in listening to george's version again, there are two stresses in 'anae. in singing pülehu, though, the stress would still be moved to the penultimate syllable even when the spoken word has it on the first syllable? (if i'm not making sense, i'm sorry - he haumäna hou nö au..)

aloha,
keith

In words like pülehu, 'ölelo, etc., the primary stress is still the penultimate syllable ("le" in both cases), and the first syllable a secondary stress. This is a common problem we try to address. A lot of people will say 'ölelo, with all stress on the ö an none on the first "l". Hard to describle the difference without having audio.

I don't have copy of George's singing this. 'Anae does not have a kahakö over the first "a" in the Puku'i/Eblert dictionary, but it is not uncommon for words like this (three syllables) to have the length added to the initial vowel when sung. I wouldn't call this a mispronunciation, but an adaptation made to help the flow of the pronunciation. The primary stress in 'anae, however, would be on the "na", and whether or not the initial 'a was stressed/situated on a strong beat dependent upon what precedes it in the phrase.

Some words show this tendency with the addition of a kahakö after "nä" and "mau". For example:

ke kanaka = nä känaka
ke kupuna = nä küpuna

We often get into discussions about words like mohala and mahina, which fit this three syllable pattern. Some people will spell and pronounce them with kahakö, others not, and frequently will cite sung pronunciation to support one or the other. My feeling is that it is the situation that will dictate the pronunciation - what word or words precede it, and how the lengthening or shortening of the vowel in those words will affect phrasing. I've heard Almeida sing "mahina" and "mähina", and there is a pattern to it that I haven't had time to document yet.

Sorry for being windy. My thesis is online on Ulukau (look under "Other Books") but it is only in Hawaiian at this time. I did a condensed translation and submitted it to an academic journal. Once it gets printed and is out for a while I may post it online as well.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  12:06:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

quote:

keola,

aloha,
keith

In words like pülehu, 'ölelo, etc., the primary stress is still the penultimate syllable ("le" in both cases), and the first syllable a secondary stress. This is a common problem we try to address. A lot of people will say 'ölelo, with all stress on the ö an none on the first "l". Hard to describle the difference without having audio.

I don't have copy of George's singing this. 'Anae does not have a kahakö over the first "a" in the Puku'i/Eblert dictionary, but it is not uncommon for words like this (three syllables) to have the length added to the initial vowel when sung. I wouldn't call this a mispronunciation, but an adaptation made to help the flow of the pronunciation. The primary stress in 'anae, however, would be on the "na", and whether or not the initial 'a was stressed/situated on a strong beat dependent upon what precedes it in the phrase.

Some words show this tendency with the addition of a kahakö after "nä" and "mau". For example:

ke kanaka = nä känaka
ke kupuna = nä küpuna

We often get into discussions about words like mohala and mahina, which fit this three syllable pattern. Some people will spell and pronounce them with kahakö, others not, and frequently will cite sung pronunciation to support one or the other. My feeling is that it is the situation that will dictate the pronunciation - what word or words precede it, and how the lengthening or shortening of the vowel in those words will affect phrasing. I've heard Almeida sing "mahina" and "mähina", and there is a pattern to it that I haven't had time to document yet.

Sorry for being windy. My thesis is online on Ulukau (look under "Other Books") but it is only in Hawaiian at this time. I did a condensed translation and submitted it to an academic journal. Once it gets printed and is out for a while I may post it online as well.

I just noticed that I misspoke/typed in there. The word 'anae is only two syllables, not three. However, in words where there is a diphthong like ae (or ai, ao, ou, etc.) in the final syllable, you count each vowel separately.

The generalization about syllables in Hawaiian pronunciation, both spoken and sung, is a bit deceptive and involves a linguistic unit call the mora, something that I delved into in my thesis but is probably TMI for this discussion. The stress pattern for 'anae and other such word is the same as those with three syllables, even though 'ae' is a diphthong and counts as one syllable. Hope I'm not causing too much confusion.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  3:17:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:

hi all,

i'm working on the phrasing of the second verse of "he 'ono". i've heard auntie nona sing it (*sigh*) but i don't have a recording to practice with. here it is:

Mai pi'ikoi 'oe i ke akule lä
A he i'a 'äha'i i ka hohonu lä
Ho'i iho 'oe i kahi 'anae lä
Me ka manini pülehu 'ia lä

(don't strive for akule
a fish that runs away to the depths
come back to the mullet
and the manini, broiled
and the surgeonfish with the sweet eyes)

here's how i'm thinking of phrasing it. if anyone has any suggestions, corrections (perhaps encouragement to instead sing about beef stew), i'd love 'em... anyway, bold indicates stress and i've written words together to indicate singing them that way. ugh, this is ugly. other ideas on how to indicate this would be nice too....

Mai pi'ikoi 'oe ikeakule
Ahei'a 'äha'i ikahohonu
Ho'iiho 'oe ikahi 'anaelä
Me kamanini lehu 'ia
'Okekole ë kai'amakaonaonalä

aloha,
keith

Try this; I hope it comes out looking OK, I formatted it so that it would use a mono-spaced font. Beat numbers appear below the text, "&" is the eight note. Please note that I put numbers and "&" below the consonant of a syllable/mora where appropriate, not the vowel, unless the syllable/mora contained only a vowel:

Mai pi'i-koi 'oe i ke a-kule lä
1   2 &  3   4 & 1 &  2 3 &  4 

A he i'a 'ä-ha'i i ka ho-honu lä
1 &  2&  3  4 &  1 &  2  3 &  4

Ho'i iho 'oe i kahi 'a-nae lä
1 &  2&  3 & 4 1 &   2 3   4 

Me ka ma-nini pü lehu 'ia lä
1  &  2  3 4  1  2 &   3& 4

1  &  2 &  3 &  4&  1 &  2& 3&  4

It's interesting that the examples I quoted came out a bit different, that the penult in 'aha'i and pulehu came out on 2 and 4 not 1 & 3, but I noticed that in a few of Almeida's as well. They tended to be songs that were quicker in tempo and there was less difference in noticeable stress in these beats – all four were about equal.

It's also interesting the way akule, manini, hohonu and 'anae are performed. None would have a kahako in spoken Hawaiian, but have the longer vowel when sung. A reflection of the increased duration being a necessity for phrasing in this metered context, IMHO.

Try clapping on all four beats, and say the syllables with "&" below them on the off beats, that should give you a good idea of the phrasing.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  5:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
this is really useful. i spent some time doing it just saying the words while patting my hand on the table (er, laptop) and then tried singing it.

keola, peter - thank you again for your help...

keith
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  8:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Whoa Keith, you pick the tongue twister songs! I would consider memorizing the first verse as major victory!
Perhaps Mainkaukau might chime in. Although he may not be a language scholar like some others, he does a good version of this song.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  9:44:02 PM  Show Profile
I also remembered that Aaron Sala did an excellent, semi-Bossa Nova version of He 'Ono on his solo release, Ka 'Upu Aloha, and his language and phrasing on that is impeccable.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  04:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi jesse - i love this song because of the rhythm of the words...

here's two more questions...

- how do you translate the last line "He 'ono toumi to ho'i tau i tou pu'u te momoni aku"? i couldn't find the word "koumi", and "pu'u" here must mean "lump".

- does anyone know anything about Bina Mossman? huapala reports the story that the song was written while the composer was in the bathtub...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  09:11:13 AM  Show Profile
The line is "he 'ono komi ho'i kau i ko pu'u ke momoni aku", just replace the "k" with "t" if you are so inclined.

Komi (sometime spelled "kaomi" or "kömi" but not "koumi") is to press downward or apply pressure. Pu'u is throat. Ko pu'u - your throat. The line describes the incredibly delicious taste when swallowing.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  2:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
keola,

thank you again for your help. it's great to have you here.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  05:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Keith,
The sheet music for He Ono (with lyrics) is in the 1950 version fo "King's Songs of Hawaii" (the green book). I can let you borrow it. "Po Mahina" is in there as well.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  06:45:36 AM  Show Profile
He Ono is also in He Mele Aloha, which we refer to constantly here. Are there regional differences in the pronunciations of Hawaiian, as in other languages? We got into this on another post a while back, and Italian came up. I know there are different dialects in most languages;it would seem that the separation of an island would foster such changes over time. I have observed a few differences in versions of Koke'e by Dennis Kamakahi and by George Kahumoku. I am curious if these are regional differences, or maybe they are tre result of the years that speaking Hawaiian was banned. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000