Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Wahine Ilikea
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  2:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I just fell in love with this song and I would like some asistance in identifying the correct tuning for this song and a few chords C,G,and D7 are identifed by Tropical Storm. Right now I am familiarizing myself with F Wahine thanks to Keola's course and his rendition of E Kuu Lei Awapuhi Mele Mele. Mahaloz!

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  3:13:49 PM  Show Profile
In the second part of each verse, the C major decends to a Cm part way into the 2nd phrase. I think Dennis Kamakahi plays it in Taropatch tuning, on hi solo version, but are you working from his recording, or someone else's? It's been recorded by lots of people.It's one of my favorites, too.
What tuning you use depends on what fits your voice, if you sing. I suspect most players use different tunings to suit their moods, at least some of the time.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  4:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
The copy that I am using is from the Slack Key Masters Vol. 2. I don't have the exact chords right now (not printed) and the vocals really makes the song, so I am intent on singing. Mahalo bra'.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  5:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Check out this post - mental block on wahine 'ilikea - which I think you'll find helpful.

He Mele Aloha indicates a C minor in the song, but I do not hear it in any of Uncle Dennis's recordings. Moreover, I asked Uncle D once and he said, "No, C minor chord."

Great song! Hope you find this helpful.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  09:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
A little history, I'm long time chang-a-lang type player and now that I'm ready to retire and will have time to play again, I'm going back to my roots and trying slack key. My brother, Pastor Wayne, from Oahu's New Hope Fellowship has done well with slack key, so if he can do it, so can I right? Genetics, bra.I'm not keen on tuners and being a long time standard tuning player, I've tuned my strings with the bottom string that we all agree was close and tuned ourself from there. Can that be done with slack key, seems possible.Iseem to have a more natural inclination toward Taro Patch G, but Keola's book starts with F wahine, so I'm struggling there, then Wahine Ilikea gets stuck in my head! AUWE!
MAHALOZ 2X
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  11:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
He Mele Aloha indicates a C minor in the song, but I do not hear it in any of Uncle Dennis's recordings. Moreover, I asked Uncle D once and he said, "No, C minor chord."
I've always wondered about that, as I learned it without the Cm - but a lot of folks I play with include it.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  2:33:41 PM  Show Profile
I am almost certain that Dennis recorded this in the key of F Major. The timing is 4/4 or common timing. The thumb pattern is very consistent throughout the song with the first note a dotted quarter note on the lowest viable note for the chord (for F Major the open F on the fifth string), the next another dotted quarter note on the next bass note a fifth above (for the F major chord, the open C on the fourth string), and the last bass note of each measure a quarter note repeat of the second bass note. The melody/treble notes are descending eigth notes on the strings 1 and 2.

The three chords are F, Bb, and C7. The F major is all open strings. The Bb is fretted at -02-12 (strings 654321). The C7 is fretted 02--10.

This is the easiest way to play it and allows you to focus on your vocals without too much concentration on your two hands/fingers.

The intro alternates between the F and Bb, one measure each for four bars. The Chorus repeats this pattern for 14 bars and holds the F on "e" of heke for bars 15 and 16.

The first line of the verse holds the Bb major for four bars, second line is an F Major for four bars, then a Bb for four bars of line three, then two bars of F Major and two bars of C7 for the last line of the verse.

Dennis has a nice walking base on the F-C7 transition on the last line of the verse.

The rest is all your own embellishments. Have fun.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
dennis did indeed record it in taropatch F. i can't find the email right now, but i asked him about that. as i recall, dennis said that eddie kamae used gut strings on his uke. the strings broke too frequently at G C E A so he tuned his uke down (i guess to F Bb D G). hence, the tuning to taro F.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000