Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 SoCal Ukulele Showcase 7/12
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ho`omaka E-Team
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  07:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ho`omaka E-Team's Homepage
Mark Your Calendars!
The So. Cal Ukulele Showcase is coming!

Thursday July 12th 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
A FREE outdoor festival style concert featuring Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta Jr., Bill Tapia, Dan "Soybean" Sawyer, Steven Espaniola, Makena, King Kukulele, The Bilgewater Brothers and more!
This concert is part of the Japanese American Museum's "1st & Central" Summer concert series and will be a great way to spend a Thursday Summer Evening. Sponsored in part by KPFK's "Ukulele Spotlight"
More details coming soon...

369 East First Street
Los Angeles, California 90012
phone: (213) 625-0414
http://www.janm.org

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  08:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
What is king kukulele doing sharing the bill with outstanding musicians. That guy is a bad joke on the Hawaiian people and their culture.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Ho`omaka E-Team
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  09:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ho`omaka E-Team's Homepage
Aloha, more info about this `ukulele showcase provided at the KPFK website. Also great info on `ukulele performer interviews by Bill Tapia, Herb Ohta Jr. & Steven Espaniola.

http://www.kpfk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=16&id=237&Itemid=79
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  11:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
What is king kukulele doing sharing the bill with outstanding musicians. That guy is a bad joke on the Hawaiian people and their culture
he's a comedian...

this looks like a great show - both the ukulele showcase and the KPFK ukulele spotlight segment!
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  3:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
It is an exeptional showcase, not to be missed with fine Hawaiian musicians and entertainers. I highly reccommend all who love Hawaiian music to go. I would definitely attend if not so far away.

But I can pass on the comic relief. A comedian, not a musician, king kuku seems to think it's ok to insult or ridicule hawaiians, why not, it's just lighthearted fun like blackface humor of the 50's...
You must see him to understand my complaints. I was appalled by his insensitivity to customs and traditions of Hawaii. He expounds on the haolewood version of hawaii to get a laugh, seemingly unconcerned by the inuendo and insinuations he portrays. It is heartbreaking and I have to walk away. I wonder how people in Hawaii would react to his presentation. A lot of people on the mainland seem to enjoy his style. But I think some people just love anything to do with Hawaii, no questions asked.
Comedians are sometimes offensive to make a statement. Kuku's message here is sheer fun and folly. Harmless? I don't know. Born and raised in Hawaii, I can see through the farce. Can everyone else?
If you need a class act comedian that can actually play the uke at a level expected at an Ukulele Showcase, who can present a refreshing new perspective of Hawaiian humor, call me.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
What is king kukulele doing sharing the bill with outstanding musicians. That guy is a bad joke on the Hawaiian people and their culture. <SNIP> I wonder how people in Hawaii would react to his presentation.

Hiram, I'm with you 100%. I saw this guy's act a few years back at the Santa Cruz `Ukulele Festival. As it happened, I was sitting upstairs with friends, two of who were from Hawaii. Next to us was another table of Hawaiians who'd come to see the show. None of us were "uke-heads."

One of my friends asked why the festival organizers thought it was OK to make fun of Hawaii. Most of us walked out and continued the discussion out of sight and earshot of Kukulele's act. I noticed that the other table left, too.

Sadly, King Kukulele wasn't the only offensive act. Ian Whitcome chanted some gibberish in phony Hawaiian in one of his introductions. Several of the local acts (all men) wore grass skirts and played poorly rendered hapa-haole songs with lots of winking and hip-shaking.

Later that summer, I spoke with Byron Yasui, who had been on the bill that night. He said he couldn't figure out why the concert seemed to make fun of the `ukulele and Hawaiian music.

I'd be curious to hear what others have to say about this guy.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  05:30:43 AM  Show Profile
I watched a piece of King Kukulele's act on youtube, it degraded the concept of comedy almost as much as it degraded Hawaiian culture. I'm not interested in seeing his act at all. I didn't make it through the 'song' on youtube. Most Hapa Haole songs I can accept as similar to the jazz of the era, though most were not up to the sophistication of Hawaiian poetry- which is what really draws me to the music.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Ho`omaka E-Team
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  06:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ho`omaka E-Team's Homepage
Here is the poster for the event:
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Oooh -
Nice graphic! Are there going to be T-shirts for sale?
Go to Top of Page

Ho`omaka E-Team
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  12:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ho`omaka E-Team's Homepage
Checked with the promoter who mentioned that there may be t-shirts available at the event.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000