Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Tenor uke reccomendations?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  03:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
P.S. If you want to avoid adding an extra G and C note to every chord, just strum downward with your thumb on the bottom four strings. (This can make songs sound more graceful that with up and down strums, at least to my ear, which is consistent with your classical music training.)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  09:40:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

It behooves me to see the volume of advice and opinions expressed by absolute, even though he is a recent beginner.
Anyway. Don't lose sight of your goals. Get a Koaloha or Kamaka for a rich tone and fine craftsmanship. Cost does not matter, take awhile longer to save and get a fine instrument you can be proud of instead of the box you are sorry you settled with. It took a year for me to save enough for mine. I only own 1 uke, a Kamaka tenor, I play no other. Other comparable brands in the same price range or higher are GString, Kanilea, Maui, SonnyD, etc.
If music is more like a hobby for you, some lesser quality ukes will suffice like Kala, Lanikai, Tangi, etc.
If you want to play like Jake, Troy, Eddie, Ohta San or me, get a 4 string tenor. Six or eight stringed instruments are especially good for singers and tricky to pick melodies. Good luck...

Absolute... It sounds like you may be better suited for a baritone uke. It is probably as big as your birdhouse. Baritones are the most expensive for an instrument that is not as popular as the others.

I totally agree. I love my Kamaka tenor. It's loud, and it sounds and plays fantiasticly. I also use a low 4th string. I finger pick or strum it. Since most of the slack key guys I play with use Taro Patch, the uke uses guitar D chords, which, I believe are easy to improvise and play meoldies in.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  09:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I am behooved by the level of behoovement that I have inspired. Some may perceive behoovement as a mere state of mind, but those who have experienced it know that it is much more. (Personally, I'm just grateful that no one is chasing me with a stick.)

Deeply behooved,
Absolute
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000