Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele in the Schools
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  10:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
My wife, Tami, and I are working on using some school grant money to purchase a classroom's worth of student-worthy ukuleles to begin an ongoing ukulele group at the elementary school level. Fine folks, including Jumpin' Jim Beloff, have given us good leads on where to buy ukuleles in quantity. Now we're hoping to find some other music teachers -- did I mention that's Tami's field? -- who might have gone this same route. Saw a cool video a while back by a music teacher who had a ukulele orchestra, but can't track it down. Looked over YouTube and found some fun uke orchestra posts, but nothing specific to this direction.
Any info or contacts would be hugely appreciated!
Mahalo,
Davey

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  11:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
PM coming your way with info on a Seattle-area teacher who's done this for a few years.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  4:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Perhaps you could break it down into basic components.

I got the impression the YouTube "Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain" video included people doing some basic things:

1. Strummers (for rhythm and the majority of the substance of the song)
2. Pluckers (more than one set for some counterpoint)
3. A bass man

Their web site has some videos that seem to suggest they spend a lot of time together working out the parts and how to present each piece. Instead of putting it all on the teacher's back, maybe that's part of the fun...

Of course with begining students, you'd need arrangements with both chords and notes. The bass line is easy - just a matter of keeping time with a standard guitar or bass. The strummers play the chords. You tell the pluckers when to come in on the notes for favorite segments or when the chords aren't doing the melody adequate justice.

Just ideas. I've NEVER attempted such a thing on my own.

GOOD LUCK - POST A VIDEO WHEN YOU'VE GOT THIS THING WORKING!

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  6:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
davey,

i teach ukulele at the university of california, san diego. it's a one-credit, 10 hour course that i give to first year students. it culminates with a kanikapila in which i invite others to play or just enjoy the music. it's a popular class.

i used to use fleas because they're not that expensive, are uniformly of good quality, and are robust. the only quality problems i've had in that regard were two bridges popping off, which repaired with superglue. the design problem with them is with the machines - they are direct rather than geared, and so are too sensitive for many students to tune.

i've been getting lanikai ukes lately. i can get a lanikai tenor uke and a soft case for the same price that i get a flea, and a lanikai concert costs $20 less. by getting a mixture of tenors and concerts, i can accommodate the students who want a larger uke. the machines on lanikai ukes are very good, and the variance in quality of lanikai has become much better. i prefer the tone of a lanikai over a flea as well.

i'm getting my ukes from local stores by taking with owners. i allow the students to purchase their uke at the end of the course at a discounted price, and so am buying 5-10 ukes a year to keep my collection up in the low 30s.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 04/26/2007 7:21:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  02:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I understand they have some form of uke "approval" system in Canada ("teacher approved")for their in school courses (or so some E-bay shops in Canada seem to suggest). I don't know how realistic it is. You could try to e-mail someone by Googling a Canadian music store that sells ukuleles. But then who wants to buy a ukulele they haven't heard?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

sdm
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  05:33:19 AM  Show Profile
My wife is a 2nd grade teacher in Santa Clara, CA. Last year, she procured 20 ukuleles through a contact at Santa Cruz Ukulele Club. Instead of procuring a grant, the class self-funded them, at approximately $20 each, and took them home at the end of they year. In doing so, we received feedback that some kids continued to play them after they left the 2nd grade, and in some cases got other family members involved too!

Cheap ukes, but a good start, particularly for that age group. Prior to passing them out we spent some time checking them out, stabilizing the strings, etc.

Participation was optional, but we procured a handful of others in case a family or two chose not to contribute, to insure that everyone had a uke.

It was wildly successful, several students performed as a group at the school talent show at the end of the year, and others opened the SCUC meeting a few months ago, and had a lot of fun!

This year Cindy loops back to first grade, where the kids are a little young to play, but is planning to do the ukes again next year, as she and her class get promoted to 2nd ;-)

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  07:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
Wow!
An unexpectedly strong response and great information from all. But then, what else should I have expected from fellow TP-ers, right?
Appreciate the direction and input regarding various ukulele models and funding options.
Retro: Thanks for the info on teacher in your area -- we will definitely be in touch.
Mahalo nui loa,
Davey
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  04:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
I recently asked a similar question because I wanted to get a good playable instrument for my girls to have free access to. I had pretty much decided on a Fluke or Flea, but went into my most local shop to check things out there. He had neither of those two, but had a couple of instruments in the double digit and $100 dollar range (a Lanikai and something else). Both were overbuilt and didn't sound very good. He had an Ohana uke there for about the same price as a Fluke. I ended up talking him down in price and buying it. It sounds good, and is nicely finished. It also has a standard uke shape, which I find easier to play (I know, it's not for me).

I hadn't heard of this instrument before. Anybody else out there have a review of them?

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000