Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Sight-seeing and camp on Maui...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  1:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Who has done the sunrise trip and taken bike ride on Haleakala?
I am considering getting away for a day during camp...
We are taking 2 days after camp to head towards Hana before flying back...but the bike thing is just me...
Three trips to Maui, and I've not seen much of the "required" tourismo stuff...
any others in this boat?
Recommendations?
I have "Maui Revealed"...but spend most my down time looking for my guitar. Where did I put it? Just 3 more weeks of re-model dust... Maybe a saw-dust Goodall.
Arrrgh.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  2:07:22 PM  Show Profile

quote:
Who has done the sunrise trip and taken bike ride on Haleakala?
Well I figure a sunrise looks a lot like a sunset trip so we did the latter, and we did not take the bike ride but nearly ran over a passle-of-em comming down the mountain one time.

Does this count?

Personally I have enjoyed being in Hana or Kipahulu or at the Io Needle park more that seeing the top of Haleakala (and I can imagine what the sunrises are like pretty well... really). However, the top of Mauna Kea at (and just past sunset) while at the Subaru Telescope was a different story!! Also, hiking into the Haleakala Crater for a multi-day journey seems pretty interesting.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/30/2007 2:22:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  1:29:39 PM  Show Profile
when we get back to the big island, I'm gonna put a telescope in my subaru too.
For now Maui will suffice.
I will probably stay put, and we'll get over to Hana...gee, I didn't know heaven was so big.
practice, watch surf, watch sunset, eat, play, kanikapila...
who needs a Harp...
unless it's a beer.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  2:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i'm a traditionalist... i loved the whole endeavor of seeing sunrise from haleakala. it's kind of like driving to hana - it's the voyage more than the destination.

when there, do hike down the sliding sands trail into the caldera. it's well worth it. watch out for annoyed nene if you make it over to the hut on the, umm, i thikn it's the kaupo gap trail.

Iao needle is beautiful. staying in a house in hana is great. another place to visit is Kahakuloa (good banana bread, but pretty expensive). and, the trip past hana along the south coast is the most dramatic part of maui i have ever visited.

`o maui o na hono a`o pi`ilani, maui no ka `oi,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  3:12:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
another place to visit is Kahakuloa
Those of us who have attended George's June Workshop have been to Kahakuloa several/many times. In fact before the last few years, we would journey into the remote valley of Kahakuloa up to Oliver XXXXXX's (name escapes me) taro fields and plant taro (among other things). George has a relatively new house in Kahakuloa as well on the Wailuku side of the valley.

Last time we went to Kipahulu (seven sacred pools)(and near Hana) after the workshop, we drove the back way up to Ulupalakua and visited the ranch then came down the mountain and around from the south. The road was rough, there were steep drop-offs with just one lane in places, but it was certainly passable with a regular compact car!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/02/2007 3:15:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  4:16:39 PM  Show Profile
I have done the sunrise trip to Haleakala and bicycled down. I highly recommend it! It was one of the highlights of my trip to Maui many years ago. The biking was a blast.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  6:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
If I ever thought of taking a day off of Hawaiian music camp to do some sightseeing...slap me! There's nothing more fun than music camp!
Just kidding (sort of),
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000