Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Grimes Beamer on ebay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  07:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
Anyone see this ebay auction last night? I was out bid at the last second. Super deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:11&Item=160111736611

Bing

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  08:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I just realized that it was Steve Grimes that out bid me.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  11:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hi Bing, I was just telling Fran how I never saw one on auction on ebay all these past years and there it was. Steve was lucky I didn't see the auction. He would have ended up paying a little more.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  2:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Bing, actually that is weird that Steve had put in what sounds like an auto-bid. I have guitar-maven friends that really know how to manipulate eBay (mostly for serious vintage instruments), and that is actually not a way to do it. Going for below $3k is very strange for a Grimes Beamer nylon string,and it it quite damaging for a luthier's rep. I am not an eBay expert and I rely on others who are, but this is something that should be thought out - unless Steve thinks he is unassailable. But I have seen very hot luthiers go from hot to not. I can name names in private :-). The instrument market is very fickle.

Besides, the pix were really ugly. You can't sell if you can't display your wares properly. Shoot, you were in a niche business, you know what it takes.

...Reid

PS. Eric, garanz that was a setup. Steve lost nothing, no matter what you would have bid - within human reason.

Edited by - Reid on 05/07/2007 2:41:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  07:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I e-mailed Grimes yesterday to razz him about this. He told me that this particular guitar was one he'd been using as a demo for a couple of years and that he'd regretted selling it in the first place. He said he was thrilled that it was back "home."

He also told me he'd put in a high auto bid because he wasn't going to be around for the weekend to watch the auction, and that he really wanted it back.

With a two-year waiting list for guitars that cost more than my van, I don't think our boy has to resort to e-Bay subtrifuge. B'sides, I happen to know this particular guitar, cuz I'd had my eye on it for a couple of years....

I offered to trade him for some time installing his home studio, but he declined. Now I'll have to settle for beer...

yours for truth and beauty,

Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000