Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Harp?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  1:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever tried playing slack key music on a harp? I guess it couldn't be called "slack key" since the harp has full octaves of strings. I transcribed some of my husband's guitar tabs so I could play them on the harp - thought it sounded pretty cool! Being a stringed instrument that you pluck it sounds a bit like a guitar. Guess I need a name for that particular instrument/music combo style. Will try to work on some MP3 files if anyone is interested - or is it just a dumb idea?
Susan

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  2:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Susan -

It's not only not a dumb idea, it is flat out beautiful! I encourage you to experiement all you can.

You might check out Phil Boulding of Magical Strings up in Seattle. He's totally into slack key on the harp, and has offered some classes and workshops in it. I've been told he's even figured out how to do "hammer-ons." http://www.magicalstrings.com/

Chris Caswell (Caswell Harps) in Sonoma County has also been know to fool around with it. Many of the techniques and rhythms are similar to South American harp styles. He performed a wonderful duet with Kevin Brown last summer at Lark Camp. http://www.northstarmusic.com/nstar/art_list.asp?id=5

Have fun!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  4:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
And Ledward rocks on the autoharp.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  6:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Somewhere in my heap of old LPs is a 60s album that includes a harpist--when I feel stronger I'll see if I can dig it out. The Waikiki club era produced all kinds of interesting combinations of traditional and mainland-popular-whatever--my favorites are the vibes and electric pianos on some of the Waikiki label productions such as "East Is West" and "In Hawai`i the Story Starts" (several tracks are preserved on the "Best of Hawaiian Slack Key with Gabby Pahinui" compilation). I suppose it's kinda tiki-music, but it still has a traditional vibe (so to speak).

Edited by - Russell Letson on 05/08/2007 6:10:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  04:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Mark

Up your way there is a fellow that makes Harp Guitars. He had one with 26 strings. Have you ever head Slack Key on a Harp Guitar?
Go to Top of Page

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  05:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Never heard of such a thing, guess it would sound kinda like in between a guitar and a harp? It would be interesting to see how it's made/strung. Do you have his name or website?
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  08:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

We are talking harp here -- which I'm assuming means your basic neo-Celtic folk harp cuz that's what most people play. Usually around 26 unstopped strings, diatonic, may have sharping levers to raise the pitch of selected strings. I used to play one. Badly...

Other instruments with "harp" in the name are just that... instruments with harp in the name.

So an auto-harp is actually an automated chord-playing zither. No relation to a harp in how it's played. Led plays it, and it's wonderful. There's a guy in Hana named Bob who plays with Duke, too. He's one of the best autoharpist's I've ever heard.

A harp guitar is a guitar with extra bass strings. Related to lots of old-fashioned instruments like the arch-lute. Not a harp at all.... its a guitar. Though slack key sounds great on it. We had this discussion in spades some time back. Google "Harp Guitar" and you'll find billions of hits.

Funny no one mentioned harp, as in harmonica.

Or jew's harp (no offense taken to the faith of my fathers...) a.k.a. trompe or jaw harp. Which should be played in Hawaii, cuz it's the same principle as the ukeke.

And, to keep harping on the subject:

I'd bet there are all kinds of old Hawaiian LPs with concert harp on 'em -- it was part of the style way back when you wanted to class up a vocal. Was it Paul Whiteman's band that had two of 'em?? Doubt if they played anything like slack key tho'.

Sue - I'd suggest listening to South American or Mexican harp styles. You might find some pretty familiar sounds. Lots of clave rhythms in the bass with trills on thirds and sixths in the melodies.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  09:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The guitars I've seen with large numbers of unfretted strings are often using the extra strings as passive resonator strings rather than plucked strings. http://www.beyondthetrees.com/sympb.htm

But, of course, there are many instruments I haven't seen or even heard of.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  1:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Wow, one of Fred Carlson's Sympitar's! Haven't seen one in a while.

They are extremely cool -- lot's of sympathetic strings running through the body that resonate when you play. I played one many years ago -- Fred brought it to Lark. Amazing sound. They would be wonderful for slack key.

Here's a site with info and pix about harp guitars:

http://www.harpguitars.net/

And, yes, some folks have added sympathetic strings to harp guitars.

Or whatever the heck this is:

http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php?thisid=158

Inspired playing by Pat Methany on the video, too. Check it out.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  2:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Or whatever the heck this is:
http://www.manzer.com/web/index.php?thisid=158
Inspired playing by Pat Methany on the video, too. Check it out.

I've seen Metheny play the Pikasso in concert several times, most recently with Brad Mehldau's trio - indescribable.

A friend of mine has one of Linda Manzer's "Cowpoke" models, and got to spend some time with her when she was building the Pikasso II for collector Scott Chinery. She said these instruments were pure hell to make, mostly due to the uniques stresses of 42 strings - there were a lot of splintered experiments in its wake.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  05:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Hi -

Funny no one mentioned harp, as in harmonica.

That was my first thought when I saw the topic. WOW. Finally a use for all of those diatonics and the nifty chro that I have. Well, back to suckin' thr blues.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Mark, didn't know you played the harp! Yes, I have a 31 string folk harp with levers. May have to sit down and talk with you at next February's camp. I got it recently and already bored with the "classical" type music they expect you to play. Looking for more of a challenge/fun thing to play. I may look for a decent lap harp ("travel" size) and bring it to camp with me! Better work on those slack key pieces!
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  10:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Mark, didn't know you played the harp!

That's played as in very much past tense. It's actually kinda related to slack key:

Many years ago I took up the button box to play French tunes. But it didn't take.

So I traded the accordion for a harp. Which went a long way towards keeping my marriage together. I loved the harp because it had the bass I'd been missing from dulcimer. Only, about that same time I started figuring out slack key guitar ... which has bass & melody.

Which made me want a bigger guitar with more bass response...

A friend wanted the harp, so's she got it now.

I did record with the harp on two CDs in the mid-90s-- The Faery Hills and the one for an out of print book on Scottish music. About a month ago a producer asked me to play something on a track (he had a wire stung harp in the studio), but I couldn't pull it off.

So, it is safe to say I do not play the harp any longer. Or the accordion. Twixt heaven & hell, that's me....

But we can certainly talk all you want next February. On-line registration should start by the time I get back from Moloka`i next week.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

bluzdulcimer
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  10:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Mark, read your post about switching from accordion to harp and
had to laugh. I switched from accordion to harp for exactly the
same reason, to keep my marriage. Maybe it's a celtic thing :).
I'm still playing the harp, but didn't start really concentrating
on it until a couple years ago. Somehow, I'm going to have to
combine all the instruments I love on a cd (ukulele, harp, dulcimer,
shakuhachi, guitar, and bass). My nephew describes my house as
Asian-avian--a combination of Asian and Scandanavian. I guess
that applies to my music as well.

Hollis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: