Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Nice YouTube video featuring a Koaloha
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  4:05:58 PM  Show Profile
This video on YouTube features Tyler Gilman at Ukulele Puapua playing a Koaloha tenor.

Pretty impressive! Now if only I could afford one. I think I'm still $400 short.

I may have to go with a Pono from Ko'olau.

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  4:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh come on - just go for it!! Otherwise you'll spend the money you Do have on something silly like food for your starving kids!
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  4:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Whatever I get would only be my second uke (technically my third since I gave away my Hilo 2652).

I have many more years of ukulele acquisition syndrome to suffer.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  6:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I have played the same Kamaka tenor uke for all of the 13 years I have been playing the uke. After installing an active pickup, it is worth $1000. With the artwork I burned into it using a soldering iron, I set the value at $1500. Not for sale though.
Last year, I won a Koaloha, extended neck concert worth $720, according to Kathy Sakuma. I can imagine the tenors are about $100 or so more. I love the concert Koaloha I won and highly recommend Koaloha products. Not just because they gave me one for free, but because the sound and craftmanship is excellent. Worth every penny and more.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  03:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Check out "Uncle Dave's" latest with the link in his last post.

Looks like a hand crafted (and rather ornate) mango 'uku he's playing!

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  3:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I finally made my way to a high speed connection and watched the referenced video. Who could observe such talent, presented so casually, and not wonder why so many are drawn to HD satellite television, when a simple ukulele is capable of producing such a wonderous performance in practiced hands? Has the opportunity to gather together with simple instruments to express a sense of community and the underlying human soul lost its power to reinforce that which is best about mankind as a social species? Why do so many forfeit that simple pleasure for the mindless blue glow? We live in a world distorted by the unhealthy habit of watching rather than living, a fact that is reflected in the statistics that are gathered annually relative to our health, our culture, and our ability to believe in a better future for everyone. I can only hope that those subject to such passivity demonstrate the capacity to come to their senses in the near future. Forums like this can only raise awareness of what has been lost, and are to be treasured for that power. This video is truly an inspiration, not because of the ukulele, but because of its power to present a possibility that many seem to have casually forfeited in favor of the broadcast opiate, the potential for musical self-expression. Well done!

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000