Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele on wikipedia
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tag
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  06:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Heya -- over the next month or so, I'm planning to do some work on the ukulele section of wikipedia. Sources need to be added, and it needs some cleaning up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele

The great thing about wikipedia is that anyone can pitch in! I'm a uke novice, so I'm no expert -- if anyone can help me tackle this, I would appreciate it. All you need to do is visit the pages and add info where you see fit.

Here are some of the things I'm thinking of improving (and you can help with):

1. Update the list of Ukulele manufactures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ukulele_manufacturers

and create pages for notible manufacturers (particularly Kamaka)

2. Add a range graphic, like the one on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

Unfortunatly, I have no idea what some of the symbols mean (like the line through the treble clef, the little 8 and the loco)

3. Add sources to and expand the history section, including adding info about the popularity 'waves' in the US.

4. Going through the Ukulele musicians section to make sure these are notible uke players, not just musicians who may have strumed a tune or two.

5. Adding slack-key info to the tuning section.

And anything else you think might be missing!

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  07:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
The great thing about wikipedia is that anyone can pitch in! I'm a uke novice, so I'm no expert

Umm, I think you just pointed out the not-so-great thing about Wikipedia. Depending on when you check in, the info may or not not have any validity.

But, since you asked for help, I'm sure you'll get it. We have a number of resident non-experts who will be only too happy to chime in with all kinds of hit and mis-information. Myself included, 'natch.

In the notation example, the line through the treble clef means the engraver's pen slipped. Loco is Spanish for "crazy." Adding the little 8 symbol to above means "Crazy 8s." It's an old R & B song.

And if you believe that, I'd like to sell you a bridge. `Ukulele style, of course.

Good luck!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  09:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
The 8 on the tail of the treble clef means an octave lower then written. A 16 would have meant 2 octaves and so forth. It looks like a chord with six notes but it is just an open standard guitar tuning(EADGBE). The line through the clef usually means to slide for stringed instrments. Hard to say out of content what it really is. Perhaps an excerpt from the guitar piece Romanza, a snippet of the 4th measure. I doubt it though. A slash may also indicate other things.
I agree with Mark. There are so many untruths and misunderstandings on the internet. If you don't understand notation, don't post such things. Post what you know and not what you accept from a third party.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

tag
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  09:39:04 AM  Show Profile
I didn't mean to start an arguement about the validity of wikipedia! I point to a (somewhat flawed) study that found that it's usually pretty acurate.

However you feel about that study, the best wikipedia entries are ones where a few people take it upon themselves to take ownership of factchecking, sourcing and policing the facts about a given topic.

The uke article was recently flagged as one that needs a few people to clean it up. I love ukulele, and thought the article could use some TLC. You say there is too much disinformation on the internet -- I am trying to spread true information.

And I'm sorry I wasn't more clear with the graphic. That one, as you noticed, is the range of the guitar -- I found it on the guitar wikipedia page. Here is another example: the range for a mandolin.

I was hoping someone more familiar with musical notation could create a similar one for ukulele.

At the very least, people could help me expand the list of companies who make Ukuleles?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ukulele_manufacturers

Edited by - tag on 05/03/2007 10:21:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  12:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

No worries, I was just having fun. Tho' the question does beg to be answered....

OK, here's the extra bit of info missing from Hiram's description of the the notation example: the slash is to show that the range of the instrument extends up to those notes. Tho' it's not the way I've usually seen in written. But if that's the Wiki standard, so be it.

On the uke, it goes from"My" to "Fleas."

I'll stop now...

I took a quick look at the Wiki uke page. Not too bad as far as it goes. But obviously written by someone not at all familiar with the current history or players. Looks like it was written by someone into the doo-wacka-doo revival who did most of the research on the web.

In no particular order, here are some thot's:

quote:
sometimes spelled ukelele (particularly in the UK) or uke

Make that "commonly mis-spelled ukelele." Just because it is in print doesn't mean it should be allowed to continue.

History: It's OK as far as it goes. There's a lot more info out there. Jim Beloff's book is a good place to start.

One thing: The `ukulele is the name of the instrument from Hawaii. It developed there from the other instruments, as noted. The "commonly associated the music of Hawaii..." quote makes it sound as if the `ukulele might have been created somewhere else. T'weren't.

There is tons of info available on the early builders. I'd suggest including it, or at least linking to it. Ditto some of the other common size and stringing configs, such as the Lili`u 6 string. 8 string ukes are also common.

Many folks say banjo-uke, not a banjolele.

Look into May Singh Breeen, who was hugely responsible for the popularity of the uke in the 20s through songbooks & instructional methods. I think she may be the one responsible for the higher east coast tuning, too.

Here, off the top of my head, are a few `ukulele players you might check out as possible additions: Ohta San (Herb Ohta), Herb Ohta Jr, Byron Yasui, Keoki Kahumoku, Brittny Pavia, Hiram Bell, Uncle Henry Kamae, Sheldon Brown, Roy Sakuma, Benny Chong, Andy Cummings, Troy Fernandez.... and just about every musician and singer in Hawaii.

A handful of non-hawaiian ukers: Del Rey, Li'l Rev, Joel Esterhaus, Gregg and Jerre Canote, John King, James Hill, Jim Beloff... and yours truly. I'm sure you can find a few more....

I googled "ukulele builder" and got 144,000 responses. That oughta give you a place to start. Both Jumpin' Jim and Bruddah Bru have constantly evolving builder's lists. Make sure Dennis Lake, Po Mahina Instruments, is on yours.

As far as I know, the only place you can learn to build your own `ukulele is at the Aloha Music Camp. That oughta be in there, too. You also ought to link to all the places where you can learn to play; notable George's camp, Keoki & Herb's camp, the Aloha Camps, Roy Sakuma's `ukulele festitvals (all Hawaii) plus all the mainland stuff. As long as it's an online encyclopedia, might as well, eh?

OK, I gotta get back to work. Hope some of this will help steer your research. I'm afraid this is all stuff from my memory banks -- someone like John King, who actually knows a little about the intrument, would be a far better source.

Good luck!

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 05/03/2007 12:32:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  2:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
"As far as I know, the only place you can learn to build your own `ukulele is at the Aloha Music Camp."
Don't forget Hanalima 'Ia on Oahu. (hanalima.com)
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  2:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Gregg and Jerre Canote
Greg and Jere

See? We can out-wiki them here on TP!
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  5:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mike DaSilva http://www.ukemaker.com regularly teaches uke building.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 05/03/2007 5:24:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  06:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
And if you want to include catalogs which offer kits (you pretty much teach yourself) you could start with Stew Mac and Grizzley.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  07:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Jesse & Fran - Thanks for the tip on Hanalima & Mike DeSilva. Anyone taken one of these classes?

I'll change my statement to "As far as I know, the only place you can learn to build your own `ukulele in one week is at the Aloha Camp." Maybe add more qualifiers, like "At the beach, on Moloka`i, while watching a hula class...."

Rettro - Thanks for pointing out my extra c...consonants. I must have sp...spent too much t..t..time listening to the Who in my youth.

m

Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  08:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Thanks Mark. A little oversight you didn't mention as an ukulele player is a fellow named Jake. I've heard of him often in the uke world.
A quick point... pronounced as an ukulele, not a yukulele. A uke, not an uke. But who cares. Even the mayor of Hawaii mispronounces it regularly.
Reminds me of the word onaona. Pronounced o-noun-na spoken but ok to sing as ona ona, according to Randy Fong. Dennis sings the former and George sings the latter. Who cares? Randy doesn't. Genoa does(I got stink eye from her and Momi when I purposely took artist liscense once to see how they and others would react, a game I play with the audience when I sing Ulili E).
Anyway. Ukulele on wikipedia? Who cares...

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  09:35:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Hi -

No worries, I was just having fun. Tho' the question does beg to be answered....

OK, here's the extra bit of info missing from Hiram's description of the the notation example: the slash is to show that the range of the instrument extends up to those notes. Tho' it's not the way I've usually seen in written. But if that's the Wiki standard, so be it.

On the uke, it goes from"My" to "Fleas."

I'll stop now...

I took a quick look at the Wiki uke page. Not too bad as far as it goes. But obviously written by someone not at all familiar with the current history or players. Looks like it was written by someone into the doo-wacka-doo revival who did most of the research on the web.

In no particular order, here are some thot's:

quote:
sometimes spelled ukelele (particularly in the UK) or uke

Make that "commonly mis-spelled ukelele." Just because it is in print doesn't mean it should be allowed to continue.

History: It's OK as far as it goes. There's a lot more info out there. Jim Beloff's book is a good place to start.

One thing: The `ukulele is the name of the instrument from Hawaii. It developed there from the other instruments, as noted. The "commonly associated the music of Hawaii..." quote makes it sound as if the `ukulele might have been created somewhere else. T'weren't.

There is tons of info available on the early builders. I'd suggest including it, or at least linking to it. Ditto some of the other common size and stringing configs, such as the Lili`u 6 string. 8 string ukes are also common.

Many folks say banjo-uke, not a banjolele.

Look into May Singh Breeen, who was hugely responsible for the popularity of the uke in the 20s through songbooks & instructional methods. I think she may be the one responsible for the higher east coast tuning, too.

Here, off the top of my head, are a few `ukulele players you might check out as possible additions: Ohta San (Herb Ohta), Herb Ohta Jr, Byron Yasui, Keoki Kahumoku, Brittny Pavia, Hiram Bell, Uncle Henry Kamae, Sheldon Brown, Roy Sakuma, Benny Chong, Andy Cummings, Troy Fernandez.... and just about every musician and singer in Hawaii.

A handful of non-hawaiian ukers: Del Rey, Li'l Rev, Joel Esterhaus, Gregg and Jerre Canote, John King, James Hill, Jim Beloff... and yours truly. I'm sure you can find a few more....

I googled "ukulele builder" and got 144,000 responses. That oughta give you a place to start. Both Jumpin' Jim and Bruddah Bru have constantly evolving builder's lists. Make sure Dennis Lake, Po Mahina Instruments, is on yours.

As far as I know, the only place you can learn to build your own `ukulele is at the Aloha Music Camp. That oughta be in there, too. You also ought to link to all the places where you can learn to play; notable George's camp, Keoki & Herb's camp, the Aloha Camps, Roy Sakuma's `ukulele festitvals (all Hawaii) plus all the mainland stuff. As long as it's an online encyclopedia, might as well, eh?

OK, I gotta get back to work. Hope some of this will help steer your research. I'm afraid this is all stuff from my memory banks -- someone like John King, who actually knows a little about the intrument, would be a far better source.

Good luck!

Mark

Hey, Mark. What about Eddie Kamai?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  09:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Hiram, there is a reason I care about anything I care about that is on Wikipedia (complicated sentence, but I am sure you can handle it). The reason is that Wikipedia is rapidly becoming (if it already isn't right now)the default source for information for just about anything and everything - rightly or wrongly. If the info is bogus, it is still believed to be true. That is why you get the comparisons with Encyclopedia Britannica in most conversations about Wikipedia. It makes me crazy when I read something that I know about, and care about, but is wrong or misleading. Now, if you truly do not care that people interested in the `ukulele get incorrect info about it, why teach it, as you do, correctly, or correct its pronunciation? Unless you have purely commercial, or other, motives. I have nothing against commercial motives, BTW. Yes, it is a pain in the butt to edit entries, but I have done so. I have been driven to do it.

Russell has done extensive writing about Hawaiian music and has gotten little more than headaches from formatting peculiarities for his trouble. Let's ask him why he cares.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  11:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Rettro - Thanks for pointing out my extra c...consonants. I must have sp...spent too much t..t..time listening to the Who in my youth.

I care, 'cause I have that extra "g" in my name (though the penultimate one is silent.) Talkin' bout my g...g... - well, you know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  1:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Auwe. what's the matter with me? Sorry Reid, I know I don't sound enthusiastic about tags efforts. Sorry Russell, it isn't fair to pull this thread my way. I do appreciate anyones efforts to illuminate. But I am constantly correcting things from the internet, that have no source references, and I have a bad attitude about cyber info, in general. Hopefully, it is people like you who will bring and improve accountability and credibility to cyber information. The ukulele already suffers enough untruths, on many levels.
I do care about teaching the truth, but not enough to take the time and correct Wikipedia and thousands of internet sites with misinformation. I am too busy. It is hard enough keeping up with taropatch. But I do my share of correcting when students bring me copies of tabs and articles from wikipedia and other internet info sites. Nine out of ten times the info is misleading and sometimes criticaly tainted by the person posting. Obviously, the internet is mostly good but not perfect. I will stay on the street level while you guys please continue to improve the cyberspace classroom.
In regards to my commercial motives. I get paid for info that wikipedia and others give out freely, a definite conflict for my business, my sole income. I hardly ever post anything on the taropatch relating to theory or technique because that would be giving away trade secrets. But I have a lot more info to offer then the internet has, if you want to learn and improve your music. Hele mai...

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  1:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

For the record, the names I posted were ones not on the Wiki site. That's why I suggested our boy add 'em.

Jake is already there, as is Eddie Kamae. David Kamakahi ain't, and should be. Take a look and see who else should be and add to the list.

I responded to the original post because I agree with Reid. Wikipedia may or may not suck, but the fact remains that for a growing number of people, it is used as if it were a legitimate reference. Wouldn't it be better if it actually was?

This Tag guy comes along and points out that one section has some problems. I looked at it, and saw that it has myriad errors of ommission, a few of which I point out as best I can, totally off the top of my head. You can do that, too. In fact, why don't you?

My point is that Tag, should he decide to take on this task, has his (her?) work cut out. As I said in my reply (not the stoopid one): I hope this will help steer the research in the right direction.

Frankly, I don't have time, or the knowledge, to take it on myself. Or the interest. So please don't repond with what I should add/subtract/change. It ain't me, babe.

Let's get back to what this thread is about: He/she/it (don't say that fast...) has asked for some kokua with some specific things: players, builders, history, sources, etc.

I'm sure the readers of this forum have got some great ideas -- so let's share 'em.

Over & Out,

Mark

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000