Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele on wikipedia
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  2:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Tag/Tim's enthusiasm is great, but as he himself pointed out: "I'm a uke novice, so I'm no expert." So become an expert BEFORE working to correct the Wikipedia entry on `ukulele.

That's the problem with Wikipedia. Nothing personal, Tim, but so much of Wikipedia is "improved by novices" that it's just not trustworthy. Despite Reid's point that many people are turning to it as a source for information, it's still risky to depend on it.

Just because a large number of people watch "Dancing With The Stars" doesn't mean it's some of the best television programming available. Just because people commonly say the phrase "I could care less" doesn't mean it's correct grammar. Just because it's a popular site on that intra-net-web-thingy doesn't give something legitimacy.

When Wikipedia can convince me that the information it presents is not heavily weighted towards novice-level data-entry, I'll reconsider.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  3:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Gregg, you certainly are right about a lot of Wiki's content, but there are entries in things like English history, physics, math, certain biographies, etc. that are right up there with the best. It is the niche subjects, and admittedly, what we like here is a niche subject, that are sorely lacking in both depth and breadth. Then there are those subjects, which for one reason or another are controversial (and sometimes it is very, very surprising that a particular subject elicits such passionate warfare). Those are minefields to be avoided and the net at its worst. I am the last person in the world to be an advocate for Wikipedia, but, with a little bit of judgment and a little bit of prior knowledge, you can get a lot out of it. Wanna know about all the ancient kings of England named Edward? Actually, I did last week :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

alohayall
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  11:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohayall's Homepage
Aloha Kakou,

Loco (Italian for 'place'), in music, a term used to counteract previous notation calling for the performance of music at an octave higher or lower.

I'll take a look at the site and see if I can add anything useful.

The Ukulele Hall of Fame. The Ukulele Guild, and John King's site are very informative.

A hui hou,
Joyce
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000