Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 New Kanilea Ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MarkS
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  8:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,

A very good friend of mine mentioned Taropatch.net as an avenue to share with everyone this new experience that I have just had. For many years now I have been playing Ki Ho’alu and standard tuned guitar. Recently, I read a story on the history of the ‘ukulele in a local publication that rekindled my love for an instrument that really started it all for me. This began a journey to find a replacement to my old Martin tenor that fell unplayable after years of neglect. After visiting a couple of stores here locally and getting a chance to see how many other local and oversea brands have entered the modern ukulele market. Nothing really stood out to me. Ironically, while driving around Makapu’u point on Prince Kuhio Day my wife noticed a sign in Waimanalo “Ukuleles’ for sale”. We turned into the parking lot just behind Jack in the Box and found Honolulu Nut and Ukulele Company. As we walked in my first thought was shocking to see how many ukuleles they had to offer. He had every brand both new and used. For a moment I felt like a kid in a crack seed store… Wait a second, they sell crack seed too. After trying about three or four different ones, I noticed these beautiful instruments behind his counter. So, asked the gentleman if I could play one. When he handed me this ‘ukulele it was very clear that this was no ordinary uke, the fit and finish was unlike any other that I played. The sound was just beautiful! Clear bright notes, even tones throughout the strings, intonation that was spot on and the craftsmanship of a fine guitar. So, I read the brand name, Kanile’a. I asked the salesman who is Kanile’a and where are the located? He immediately answered, “Kanile’a ‘Ukulele is located in Kaneohe and they are building the finest ‘ukuleles here in islands. There was no doubt I had found the one. Once I got home I spent hours getting acquainted with my new instrument. The action and playability is just incredible. The resonance and sustain on this four string tenor was remarkable for such a young age. It was very obvious that this ukulele was built to be a player’s instrument. Well here I am two weeks later and I feel that my story should be known. Thank you for allowing me to share with you this experience. I hope one day soon you will get the chance to play a Kanile’a and feel the overwhelming joy that it has brought to my life.

Mahalo,
Mark

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  05:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Congrats, Mark. Kanile'a ukes are fine instruments. Having a truly great uke to play makes playing that much more fun.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

MarkS
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  06:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Jesse,

Thank you for the reply. It is truely amazing how much joy a good instrument can bring. I got a chance to visit Kanilea's web site and am looking at getting another one. Maybe a K-3 tenor....

Mahalo again Jesse!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  12:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Mark,

Congratulations! I hope your new 'ukulele brings you years of happiness. Have a great Easter, too.

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your new uke. One can never have too many toys. Ya gatta do what puts a smile on yer face. You might contact CF MArtin about repairing your old uke. A friend had them repair his guitar several years ago, and they gave him a lifetime warranty on it. Plus, some Martin stuff appreciate in value. Worth knowing before you relegate it to the wall, or something.

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  8:09:47 PM  Show Profile
I got a chance to meet Joseph Souza III at the Ukulele Club's meeting in Santa Cruz, and played some of the ukes he had on display there. They were all beautiful! I almost bought another one, but my living room is so full of instruments I can hardly walk through there! Of course, it doesn't help that my hubby has several basses, they are soooo big. Joe's ukes were very tempting though...

Always appreciative of fine instruments.
Julie

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:22:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie! I got lots of room at my house! You can always leave some of your instruments here! There was a time I had all the "Kamaka Ukulele" Line of "ukes"...Well...not any more!

Back in the late 80's, we had a group called "SilverSwords"...(go figure...) Well, I traded my "Kamaka's" for other instruments. One of them was a limited addition "Martin Solid-Body" eletric guitar. The Body design was similar to that of a Fender Strat.

The body was two different types of exotic woods. In fact, there was a picture of it some place here @ Taropatch. I'll probably have to look for it. Maybe it's still here

Yikes! Look at the time! Time to hit the sack! Laters!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Makuakane
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  06:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Makuakane's Homepage
Aloha Kakou,

I#699;m so happy to see that all of you love the ‘ukulele. I have been playing a bunch of different brands all my life. I accidentally stumbled upon the Kanile‘a ‘Ukulele website in search of tiple strings and started email Joe and Kristen Souza. Today, I own a customized super tenor that I play at all my concerts, and they are building me a baritone, along with a tiple to enhance my recordings.
I couldn#699;t believe how clear the sound is and how the it projects the tones out. I#699;ve been going down to see how they build and I have to tell you, every single detail is examined. There is nothing they won#699;t do to make each instrument the best it can be.
For those who live on O‘ahu, they have started an ‘ukulele club in Kane‘ohe. Just go to their website and email them for information. It#699;s www.kanileaukulele.com.
Go to Top of Page

Makuakane
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  06:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Makuakane's Homepage
E kala mai for the last entry. I am so used to using the Hawaiian diacritical marks on all my stuff, but this blog does not accept it. The (#699,) is an okina.
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile
Eh How'zit Makuakane! Wow....that sounds like some really sweet-sounding "ukes!" I use to have a Tiple made by "Yasuma" (I think 'az da spelling...) Anyway, it looked very similar to another one I had made by Martin. The beauty of the Tiple, to me was that crisp-sound, and the harder you strum, the more 'beddah 'da sound get!.

Anyways, the one made by "Yasuma" I gave to my god-child over 30 years ago. To this day, he still has it!. The Martin on the other hand, was at my friends music store. I couldn't believe it! I've seen "Masters" such as yourself playing them...And I think Peter Moon played one.

Well, numbah one rule of thumb...when done, slack 'da strings down. I forgot to do that, so one day I went into my instrument room, I heard a muffled-pop within the case....Yup! You guessed it! The bridge 'wen bus! Auwe!!!.

I did get repaired, however, but, it never played, and sound right anymore. The sound-board was already too weak, and everytime gottah tune-up.... Oh well! 'Jus thought I'd share my Tiple Story with you guys A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Kanile`a...Beautiful instruments! Beautiful people! I play a custom Super Tenor Pea Li`i 4 string. If you're in the market for a custom, check them out. You wont be dissapointed!

Steven
Go to Top of Page

preston
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  10:38:17 AM  Show Profile
Mark,
I was in Hawaii for the week of April 1-7. While there, I met up with Music Guy Mike who lives in Kaneohe and sells ukes on his own ebay store on ebay (musicguymic). (I met Mike at his booth in Cerritos Calif in October at the Southern California Uke Festival.) When I realized I was going to be in Honolulu, I contacted him and he met us (me and my wife), took us to dinner at Duke's and to see the Society of Seven. What a great guy. He brought 3 koa tenors with him for me to try; A Pono, G String, and a Kanile'a. I liked the Kanile'a the best so the next morning I met him for a tour of the factory in Kaneohe. I met Joseph Souza and his crew and was able to pick out a beautiful koa tenor from the stock there.
This is a beautiful uke and sounds great. Joseph personally oversees every aspect of the construction and finish and the ukes are impeccable. The finish is unbelievable. This was the highlight of the trip. Now instead of some cheap Chinese made Hawaiian souveneers, I can take out my beautiful Hawaiian built uke everyday to remember beautiful Hawaii. (I did however, buy a couple of ahoha shirts with ukes on them.)
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  10:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Can someone fill me in on what is meant by a Tiple? I've heard that term but don't know anything about it.

Thanks, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  06:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
In our usage, a tiple is a 4 course, 10 string instrument, roughly the size of a tenor uke. This version of the instrument was originated by CF Martin back in the 20s. Other manufacturers built instruments inspired by Martin's design. These things are brutally hard to tune and keep in tune, but they make a wonderful sound. It's tuned basically the same as an `ukulele but with extra octave strings for lots of jingle jangle. Here's a page with a description:

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/50martint28tiple_116311.html

and a pic from that page:

And the Wikipedia article discusses the wide variety of small stringed instruments that bear the name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiple

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  03:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Fran! That is indeed a really sweet-looking instrument...The tiple I got from my friend's music store here on Maui, resembled the EST 1833 Martin Tenor ukulele model. Unfortunately, I was able to enjoy it only for a short time. As I explained on one of me replys, I put it back in it's case w/out slacking the srtings down...bad mistake...The tension on the strings caused the bridge to pop-up from the sound-board. I still got the tenor tho! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill (Paia, Maui)
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Bill, the first time I saw a tiple was under the banyan tree in Lahaina. Maybe that was you <grin>.

Sheldon Brown, Kevin's brother, played tiple leads and fills in the Wai`ehu Sons, such a sweet chiming sound.

Because of the short scale and high tension, the American/Martin style tiple has a reputation as one of the hardest to tune and most likely to explode stringed instruments.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page