Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 New Kanilea Ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Does anyone have anything bad to say about Kanilea ukes? I only play a Kamaka and I have lots of bad things to say about that. My Kamaka is a gem, but not all are perfect. I have seen and tried a lot of ukes and the Kanilea is pretty but not good for what I do. I hesitate to inform the owners about problems with their prized and expensive instruments because they don't know the problems until I point it out to them. Their look of disappointment is too painful for me. Maybe I have only had the opportunity to evaluate the junk ones. Problems are not exclusive to Kanilea and exist for all brand names including, Martins, GStrings, SonnyD, Graziano and other excellent luthiers. Once in a while you get a dud. Luckily, these makers gaurantee their product and will happily help to repair or exchange or refund to make the customer happy.
I have heard good and bad about all ukes and just wondered if anyone else in the taropatch has a contrary opinion as a guide to people looking to buy an ukulele. I am a trouble maker by nature and don't mind stirring it up.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  12:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Eh! How'zit Fran! Nah...no wuz me! Ha! ha! ha! Yeah I remember Sheldon Brown's Tiple. When I first met him, we were both attending Maui Community College' and in the Food Service Class. Wow! Come to think of it...that was in the late 70's! I remember talking to him about his Tiple, and the way he plays it! "Waiehu Sons" I still have their first album (vinyl). I loved how he made the Tiple sound so sweet. That's when I had my "Yasuma" Tiple...about 37 years ago!!! It's been awhile since I last spoke with him, and his brother Kevin. Well, with summer just about here, that's when they're busy doing "GiGS". BTW! Is that Tiple yours? It's a Beautiful instrument! Mahalo for the come back!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Bill, we're all so happy to have you and your smiley face buddies back on the 'Patch!!! No, that tiple is definitely not mine, it's just a picture I found with Google. I spent the past weekend with uncle Kevin, but Sheldon had to go to the mainland to marry off one of his kids <grin>. Yasuma made a variety of nice quality instruments based on Martins, as I understand. I think I've only seen them here in Hawai`i. I'm so sorry to hear that your tiple went SPROING on you, that jingle jangle sound is really something special.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  5:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Fran! Are you here on Maui at this moment? The thing about playing the Tiple that I especially loved, is the way music comes out...So crisp, clear and bright! Wow I thought that was yours! Anyways, I need to go take a trip to "Bounty Music" to see what's new! Plus, I need to get some strings for my Takamine. Hey! Maybe, we'll cross paths somewheres. Take care, and keep 'press'n. A Hui Hou!

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  10:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Bill, no, I'm over on the Gathering Place right now. We're out windward side of O`ahu, a few steps from Kailua Beach. Just got back from a Pilioha show - these guys rock, even without a tiple <grin>.

We have to connect some day, it's been too long since we've stood on Maui. Best to you and your family,
Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

oldrazorback
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  7:17:39 PM  Show Profile
I have a K-3 Kaniela Baritone that Joe made for me last fall and I am still amazed every day with the quality and sound of this little beauty! I actually got to meet Joe and Kristin on a trip to Oahau and don't think I have ever met more genuine people in my life AND I got to see my baritone in its construction phase! My next purchase will be a Super Tenor as soon as I can decide what specifications I want. I have a Kamaka Tenor I bought 22 years ago and it is a wonderful instrument but Joe builds like nobody else! Check them out.
Jerry Turney
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  10:12:11 PM  Show Profile
Fran,

You are a gem and a wellspring of knowledge. Thanks for the Tiple info, and I don't feel so uninformed anymore. Nice photo!

Hiram,

I have to say that we own several of Dennis Lake's ukes, and my tenor is the first one I ususally reach for. I take it to Maui, Moloka'i, Tacoma and snowy Lake Tahoe with me, and the only time I ever had a problem is when I left the poor thing in the car while shopping on Maui. Keoki pointed out later that the bridge was coming loose, and I shipped it right back to Dennis who fixed it without lecturing me on leaving my precious intrument in the trunk of the car in hot, steamy Hawai'i. Duh....

Next time we see each other, you can try my beautiful baby. But gently!

Julie

Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  3:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so after reading this thread, I had to stop by and visit Kanile'a Ukulele, no excuse since Kanile'a is located Kaneohe, and that's where I'm staying. Just walked in and asked one of the employee's if they got a showroom. He sent me upstairs where I met and got the tour of the shop personally from the finishing luthier Bill. The shop is new and there's still some work to do which will eventually have most of the shop enclosed so that they can have more control on the shop's enviorment. Kanile'a is using a finishing method that Taylor guitar uses. Bottom line enviormentally pc. Joe and Kristen were out picking up lunch, but when they came back I talked story with them. And then there was this one of a kind curly koa concert ukulele. It also has a radius neck, which Bill pointed out a few guitarist have remarked their preference for that feel. Definetly a fuller feel than my G String ukulele. Maybe when I return to the SF Bay Area I'll find a surprise in my luggage.
My personal tour was hi-lited when Joe sang falsetto while strumming that unique concert ukulele.
Aloha,
Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

b00gedy
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  08:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit b00gedy's Homepage
After 2 years of my daughter playing an old beat up kids uke, I finally felt like she was dedicated enough to playing that she should have her own good ukulele. I came across Kanilea and stopped in to meet the Souzas and had a custom made soprano built for her.

I find myself putting my ukuleles down and picking up her soprano all the time. I love the sound and feel of the Kanilea and will probably be picking up a super concert for myself shortly.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000