Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 HOW TIGHT SHOULD A GIG BAG BE?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  10:13:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I ordered a gig bag for a concert ukulele. They put it on backorder. It was supposed to have been built for this ukulele. Instead they shipped a substitute after the backorder went over 45 days. Its a gator gig bag. Claims to be for soprano or concert ukuleles. I have to stretch it a bit lengthwise to get this Baja concert ukulele to fit in it. Will this be a problem, possibly even putting stress on the neck and causing breaking or bending? It's a nylon bag with lining and some minimal padding. (Gator economy bag.)

Thank you.

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  3:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Too tight can't be good for the gig bag. Eventually, the tension will tear the bag. And it may be too tight to cushion the uke properly. It may even cause the neck to bend.Are you planning to put the uke in the overhead storage bins of busses or airplanes? If it shifted in transit it might get damaged. I'd try to find one that fits better. Or sew your own,if you sew.Try this link, if you want to have one sewn for you. They mostly make dulcimer gig bags, but a mountain dulcimer is like a steel guitar/ uke cross with some missing frets. www.dulcimerbaglady.com
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  08:09:16 AM  Show Profile
I really recommend getting a proper case. Especially for a uke - it's not like it's going to make it too heavy & cumbersome to carry about. Yes, it costs more than a gig bag, but it's worth every single penny. A case will last for ages - might even outlast several ukes! I've never met anyone who's bought a decent instrument case who has later regretted spending the money and wished they'd got a gig bag instead. I know many people, however, who regret having had their instrument in a gig bag instead of a case at a crucial moment!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000