Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Little Guitars...Po Mahina Punahele Iki
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  6:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to write a review for my first "real" guitar.

I am still just a rank beginner noodling around and slogging through Ozzie's book...but the most beautiful instrument I have ever had the privilege to keep in my apartment makes me sound better.

Last summer at Aloha Music Camp I was lucky enough to have a chance to buy a used guitar called "little favorite" or Punahele Iki from Mr. Dennis Lake aka Po Mahina. It looks like the guitars played by the ladies in the photos from Ozzie's book. I would never be able to afford a new custom guitar from such a talented luthier, but the "used" price was too tempting to resist!

The sound is heavenly and it is a pleasure to play. Even as uneducated in guitar as I am, I can follow some tab and it sounds "real and full" coming from this guitar. It makes me feel 'magical' and it sounds so good to my ears.

It survived a NY winter with low humidity (I tried using damp-its). I kept looking for a good travel guitar recently, but I think I will take little favorite on my next plane trip. I'm a little worried about it, but it is a direct flight and hopefully the hard case will protect her.

I haven't figured out how to change the strings on her, but the strings still sound good, so maybe I should leave them on.

I had a Martin LX or whatever the plywood travel ones are called, but I loaned it out to a friend who is guitarless. The Po Mahina sounds so much better than the plywood Martin, so I wanted to find a better sounding "beater travel" guitar, but maybe there isn't one that is smaller than little favorite (while sounding as good).

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  6:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Brooklyn,

Congrats on the new guitar. Thanks for sharing it with us.

See you soon?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  6:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Andy!

I hope I will see you at the Annual Hawaiian Picnic in Central Park on sunday, June 3.

The location has moved from the Columbus Circle entrance to 85th street and Central Park West.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000