Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hoki Hoki Tonu Mai
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

b00gedy
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  08:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit b00gedy's Homepage
I've been trying to track down the music for this... and have finally tried figuring it out myself... Not sure if I'm on the right track, but heres what I have so far.

Any help on this would be appreciated... espcially if you already know how to play it the right way

Hoki Hoki Tonu Mai
Aloha Pumehana Seranaders

Chorus
[C]Hoki hoki [F]tonu mai
[G7]Te wai runga [C]ote tai
[C]Kite awhi [F]te ringa
[G7]Te nei kiri [C]e
[G]Te nei [G7]kiri [C]e

Verse 2
[C]Rere atu, [F]rere mai
[G7]Taku poi [C]rere ra
[C]Rere runga [F]rere raro
[G7]Rere poi poi [C]e
[G]Rere poi [G7]poi [C]e

Repeat Chorus and Verse 2

Verse 3
Me he manu rere ahau e
Kua rere ki to moenga
Ki te awhi to tinana
Aue aue e te tau tahuri mai
Aue aue e te tau tahuri mai

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  08:49:56 AM  Show Profile
This site gives lyrics (it's a Maori song), translation, an MP3 sound flie, and the sheet music:
http://folksong.org.nz/ho-kihoki/

Thankgawd for google!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

b00gedy
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  08:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit b00gedy's Homepage
Thats the traditional Maori version.. the lyrics for the first verse are the same, but not much else. The music is also alot different.

Heres the version I'm looking for... http://www.amazon.com/Hula-Gem-Aloha-Pumehana-Serenaders/dp/B00004T0CX
I have the cd and just like playing while my daughter practices Hula
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  12:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone! I really enjoy this song! It reminds me of a time in the 70's, stationed over seas in devided Berlin, Germay...

I was doing a 31/2 years tour of duty there along with my all Hawaii Comrads, and never met so much more other "Kanakas" also stationed there ha! ha! ha!.

Anyway, to make a long story short, because of the many Locals stationed there, they also had a Hawaiian Club. Now not only were there Hawaiians, but Samoans too!

Every now and then, there would be a "Volksfest" held in Berlin. Our Hawaiian club were invited to join with the festivities, and were asked if would do a Hawaiian Show as well!

Well didn't have to ask us twice! We did a complete Hawaiian Show with hula dancers, us the musicians, and 'den some...BTW! I danced as well

Why do I enjoy "Maori"/"Tahitian" music so much? It's the energy that it contains...We did the "Samoan Slap Dance" also "Ho'e ana" (me and the guys) "Aunty Maria" pardon my mis-spelling"

Before coming on, I played "Hoki Hoki Tonu Mai" in drop-C tuning. I love the feeling I get when I begin the song... Oh well!... Now that's a deep subject! A Hui Hou!!!!!!

"slackkey" Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000